January 2012 News Archive
All the news stories from January 2012
(Tuesday 31st January 2012)
MK 'Franchise' winger Anthony McNamee has returned to Wycombe on a permanent deal just an hour before the Transfer Window shut on Tuesday evening. The 28 year old originally joined Wanderers on loan during November 2011 and made six appearances, scoring twice before returning to MK on 7th January 2012. However, he was released by 'mutual consent' from his contract on deadline day, allowing Gary Waddock to make the decision to bring the former Watford trainee back to Adams Park on a deal running until the end of the current campaign. He will continue to wear the No.34 shirt at Wycombe.
(Tuesday 31st January 2012)
Ben Harding's loan to Northampton Town was made permanent at around 10pm on Transfer deadline day. It ends a disappointing time at Wycombe for the 27 year old. Harding was Gary Waddock's first signing during the summer of 2011 when he returned again to former club Aldershot Town to capture his services on a two year deal. However, he failed to make much of mark on First Team affairs, making just three starts in the Football League before injury in the Football League Trophy defeat to Cheltenham Town on 4th October 2011. Despite returning to fitness he did not appear again prior to the loan move to Sixfields at the start of January. His complete record at Wycombe was 11 appearances (including 6 as substitute) - no goals.
(Tuesday 31st January 2012)
Wanderers confirmed the loan signing of Watford attacking midfielder/winger Matty Whichelow on Tuesday afternoon on a month long deal. The 20 year old scored a hat-trick in a practice match against Wycombe last week. The former Watford Youth Teamer, made his First Team debut for The Hornets in October 2010 and has since totalled 20 Championship appearances, with 16 of those coming from the bench. Earlier this season he played three times while on loan at Exeter City and most recently enjoyed First Team football when he came on as a late substitute in Watford's 1-0 FA Cup defeat to Spurs on 27th January. He has been allocated the No.24 in the Wanderers squad and will be able to play up to and including the League One trip to Scunthorpe United on Saturday 3rd March 2012.
(Tuesday 31st January 2012)
Out of favour Wanderers striker Scott Rendell has agreed a loan deal to League Two Oxford United until the end of the season. The 25 year old played five games on loan at Bristol Rovers earlier this season after dropping down the First Team pecking order at Adams Park. Rendell joined Wanderers in the summer of 2010 on a three year deal for an 'undisclosed fee' from Peterborough United and scored 19 goals in 43 appearances in his first season at Adams Park. However, this term he has made just four League starts, with his last appearance coming as substitute in the 1-0 home reverse to Bournemouth on 19th November 2011. The news on Rendell comes as the Transfer Window is set to close at 11pm this evening, while the 'Emergency Loan' system opens again next Tuesday (7th Feb).
(Monday 30th January 2012)
Former Wanderers Youth Teamer Kadeem Harris has moved to 'Championship' side Cardiff City on a three and half year deal for an undisclosed fee. The news was officially confirmed at around 4.30pm on Monday afternoon. The 18 year old was absent from the Wanderers side that travelled to Brentford on Saturday, rousing speculation that he was about to leave the Club. He made 26 First Team appearances for the Wanderers having made his debut aged 16 years and 201 days back in December 2009, to set a then Club record. Meanwhile, Gary Waddock has issued a hands off warning to those clubs aiming to sign current top scorer Stuart Beavon. Fellow League One side Bournemouth are reported to have had a 250,000 bid rejected for the former Weymouth striker and the Wycombe boss told the press after the defeat to Brentford, "He's played for us today. He's under contract with us. He remains a Wycombe Wanderers player."
(Saturday 28th January 2012)
Wanderers dropped to the bottom of the table after a first-half defending horror show saw Gary Waddock's side lose 5-2 at Brentford on Saturday. Wycombe conceeded three times in the first half an hour to set-up Brentford's first victory in eight games. Gary Alexander opened the scoring in the 10th minute when he headed home from six yards with three Wycombe defenders ball watching. Sam Saunders made it 2-0 on 22 minutes with a close range knock in and Alexander left the 900 or so Wanderers followers in the crowd stunned with a third for the home side on 29 minutes with another virtually unchallenged header. Wycombe, who brought in loanee James Harper for his debut in midfield in favour of Kadeem Harris, got a brief lineline two minutes in the second period when Dave Winfield rose to head into the top corner after Grant Basey had sent the ball over from the right wing. However, normal service was resumed on 73 minutes when Toumani Diagouraga scored from close range to make it 4-1. Former Bee Ben Strevens tucked the ball in at the near post on 76 minutes to reduce the margin again to two goals but Alexander completed his hat-trick on 81 minutes when he beat Nikki Bull at the near post with to conclude another miserable day for Wycombe. It leaves Wanderers with 23 points from 28 games, trailing Chesterfield on goal difference, Rochdale by a point and Scunthorpe and Walsall by two points. The next few games for Wycombe will now be vital with 17th placed Tranmere the visitors on Saturday 4th Feb, before the first ever League visit to Sheffield United on Saturday 11th Feb. Later in the month Wycombe entertain Yeovil, travel to Walsall, before hosting Hartlepool. Wycombe: Bull, Foster, Laing, Winfield, Basey, Harper, Lewis (sub HT Ainsworth), Bloomfield, Grant, Strevens, Beavon - subs not used: Rendell, McCoy, Kewley-Graham, McClure - Att: 5,560 (away 919)
Berks and Bucks News BERKS & BUCKS NEWS
(Wednesday 25th January 2012)
Wanderers will face Hungerford Town at home in the Semi-Final of the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup in a tie to be arranged before the 9th March 2012. Town beat Burnham 2-0 on Tuesday evening to progress to the last four. The other Semi-Final will see Chesham United or Slough Town host Maidenhead United.
(Tuesday 24th January 2012)
Wanderers confirmed on Tuesday evening the loan signing of Hull City midfielder James Harper on an initial one month deal. The 31 year old comes with a wealth of experience, including a nine year stay with Reading where he was a key part of their squad that won promotion to the Premiership in 2006 and was ever-present during their two year stay in the top flight. Harper moved to Sheffield United in January 2010 after impressing during a loan spell in the first half of the 2009/10 season. He went on to join Hull in the summer of 2010 following the arrival of Nigel Pearson as boss at the KC Stadium. However, his chances have been limited this season, leading to Wycombe winning the battle to sign his services until 25th February. He will wear the No.11 shirt for Wycombe and goes straight into the squad to face Brentford at Griffin Park on Saturday.
(Tuesday 24th January 2012)
Matt McClure scored on his return from injury in a 4-2 defeat to Watford in a 'practice match' on Tuesday afternoon. McClure suffered a broken ankle during a loan spell with Hayes & Yeading United at the start of the season and only returned to full training last week. The match, with three more unnamed Wanderers triallists watched by Wycombe Manager Gary Waddock, saw Watford take the lead through Matty Whichelow but Scott Rendell levelled after 20 minutes before Whichelow scored twice more before the interval to complete his hat-trick. McClure scored his goal during the second period when he netted a free-kick to reduce Watford's lead to 3-2. However, The Hornets scored late on from the penalty spot to confirm victory for the Championship side. Wycombe:Ingram, Trialist, Dunne (sub 75 Webbe), Stewart, Trialist, McCoy (sub 80 Morias), Graham, Scowen, Trialist (sub 65 Ehui), Rendell, McClure (sub 75 Taylor) - sub not used: Horlock
(Tuesday 24th January 2012)
Speculation of former Wanderer Matt Phillips moving from Blackpool has led to what appears to be premature reports of a 'timely cash injection' for the Club. Phillips, now 20, joined The Seasiders in August 2010 in a deal reported to be worth an initial 325,000 to the Wanderers. The deal included what was described at the time as a 'generous sell-on' clause that would be linked to any profit from Phillips being sold. The Bucks Free Press ran an online story on 24th January highlighting the possibility of the clause being activated but this came a day after BBC Sport reported that an 800,000 offer had been turned down by The Seasiders. Phillips suffered relegation from the Premiership with Blackpool at the end of the last season and was loaned to League One Sheffield United earlier this season, scoring five goals in six appearances. He returned to Blackpool during November and scored a hat-trick versus Barnsley in a 'Championship' fixture on Boxing Day, netted another against Middlesbrough on 2 January and then bagged three goals against Fleetwood Town in the FA Cup Third Round later that month.
(Tuesday 24th January 2012)
COTN continues the digital release of 'Chairboys Gas' to mark the 25th anniversary of publication. Issue No.4 was released on Saturday 24th January 1987 with a look back on a month when Wanderers had extended their lead at the top of the Isthmian League, welcomed back Declan Link to the Club but made early exits from the major cup competitions.
Chairboys Gas - 25 years on - Read more and download
(Saturday 21st January 2012)
Stuart Beavon score twice as Wanderers registered their first victory of 2012 with a 3-0 success over third from bottom Rochdale on Saturday at Adams Park. Wanderers gave a debut to Sunderland loanee central defender Louis Laing and led at the break thanks to Beavon's flick over the 'keeper from 12 yards after 32 minutes. Wanderers were good value for their lead but there was relief on 73 minutes when Beavon smashed home his and Wanderers second with a superb strike into the top corner of the Valley End goal. Victory was sealed two minutes later when a Matt Bloomfield corner from the right saw Dave Winfield convert at the far side of the six yard box with an improvised back heel. Gary Waddock introduced former Youth Teamer Jesse Kewley-Graham as a last minute substitute for his Football League debut as the three points took Wanderers back above Dale in the table with the visit to Brentford next Saturday the next on the survival path schedule. Wycombe: Bull, Foster, Winfield, Laing, Basey, Harris, Lewis, Bloomfield, Grant (sub 68 Ainsworth), Strevens, Beavon (sub 90 Kewley-Graham) - subs not used: Rendell, McCoy, Stewart - Att: 4,285 (away 226)
(Tuesday 17th January 2012)
Wanderers' chances of League One survival were dealt a huge blow when it was confirmed that Fulham loanee Marcello Trotta had opted to return to the Premiership Club in seek of a loan to a 'Championship' side. Trotta scored a remarkable 8 goals in 8 appearances for Wycombe during his brief spell at Adams Park, making him the current top scorer for the Wanderers in the League this season (one ahead of Stuart Beavon). Trotta commented to the official website "I've had a wonderful time at Wycombe Wanderers and cannot thank the manager, Gary Waddock, enough for giving me an opportunity to play many matches during my loan spell." He added, "I would also like to thank the fans for their loyal support of the team and the affection they showed towards me personally, since I made my debut."
(Monday 16th January 2012)
Wanderers fielded four trialists as they overcame a Chelsea XI 3-2 on Monday afternoon in a 'Behing Closed Doors Friendly' at the Premiership side's Cobham training facility. All four trialists were unnamed but included a goalkeeper and full-back. The goalscoring action saw Dave Winfield, returning from injury, head Wanderers into the lead directly from a corner five minutes before the break and Joel Grant extended the lead a couple of minutes into the second period with a good finish. However, Jacob Mellis pulled a goal back for Chelsea within a minute before Gareth Ainsworth restored Wycombe's two goal cushion five minutes later. Mellis netted late on to make it Chelsea 2 Wycombe 3 but Wanderers held out to secure the victory. Wycombe:Trialist, Trialist (sub Webbe), Tunnicliffe, Winfield. Trialist, Ainsworth (sub Ehui), Scowen, Kewley-Graham, Trialist (sub Morias), Grant, Rendell (Taylor)
(Monday 16th January 2012)
Wanderers have signed 18 year old Sunderland defender Louis Laing on an initial one month deal. Gary Waddock negotiated the move with the help of former Wycombe boss Martin O'Neill who took over at The Stadium of Light in December 2011. The 6'3" player specialises as a central defender but has also played as a full-back. He joined Sunderland's Academy in 2009 and has represented England at U16, U17, U18 and U19 levels. He made his First Team debut for The Black Cats as substitute at the end of the 2010/11 campaign but has been waiting for further chances since. He has been allocated the No.3 in the Wanderers squad and will be available up to and including the game with Yeovil Town on 14th February 2012.
(Saturday 14th January 2012)
Wanderers conceeded three times from set-pieces as they went down 3-2 at Preston North End on Saturday. Preston had paraded new Manager Graham Westley before the game but the former Wanderer watched the game from the stands, leaving caretaker bosses Graham Alexander and David Unsworth to take charge for the final time. For Wanderers, team news saw Leon Johnson join Dave Winfield on the injured list with Gary Waddock giving a First Team debut to 19 year old former Youth Teamer Anthony Stewart in the centre of defence. Elsewhere, midfielder Anthony McNamee's loan spell from Franchise had not been extended, with Kadeem Harris given his first start since. Tunnicliffe and Grant dropped to the bench with returns to the starting line-up for Ben Strevens and Marvin McCoy. The changes saw Wanderers open with a punchy start and they were rewarded in the 8th minute with another clinical finish from Marcello Trotta. The goal stunned the home support into silence and Wanderers went on the dominate the next 30 minutes and could have doubled their lead on 27 minutes when Stuart Beavon headed home a rebound from the crossbar following a Wycombe corner but the referee spotted an infringement. Wycombe still looked the side more likely to score when the home side were gifted an equaliser on 40 minutes when a corner from the left saw Harry Bunn convert from close range after the Wycombe defence failed to clear. It was the same story in the second period on 58 minutes when another Preston corner eventually fell to Jake Jervis who smashed home from close-in after Nikki Bull had saved the original shot from Clarke Carlisle. That was a bitter blow for Wycombe and it got worse on 62 minutes when Stewart was pulled up for a foul on Craig Morgan and Paul Parry scored from the resulting spot-kick. There was a boost for Wycombe a minute later when Steven Smith sent-off for a second bookable offence after he had tripped Harris on the Wycombe right. Trotta registered his eight Wycombe goal in the final minute of normal time with another low finish from Gareth Ainsworth's pass but there was no late equaliser for Gary Waddock's side as the relegation battle gets more serious by the week. Wanderers remain three from the bottom of the table with second from bottom Rochdale the next opponents when they travel to Adams Park on Saturday 21st January. Wycombe: Bull, Foster, Basey (sub 68 Grant), McCoy (sub 84 Ainsworth), Stewart, Bloomfield, Lewis, Harris, Strevens, Trotta, Beavon - subs not used: Tunnicliffe, Kewley-Graham, Rendell - Att: 10,142 (away 213)
(Tuesday 10th January 2012)
A Wanderers XI required an extra-time winner to overcome Chalfont St Peter as they began their defence of the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup on Tuesday evening. A Wanderers line-up with John Halls as a stand-in central defender took the lead in the 5th minute when Oliver Taylor fired in from close range after Ben Strevens' shot from a Kadeem Harris assist had originally been blocked. Scott Rendell then made it 2-0 on 31 minutes when he slotted under Mark Oliver in the home goal from a Taylor cross. However, thoughts of an easy victory were put on ice three minutes into the second half when Adam Louth beat Matt Ingram after Terrell Lewis's shot had hit the crossbar. Charles Strutton then levelled the scores with a close range header and both teams then had chances to win the tie in normal time before extra-time was called upon to settle matters. It was left for Wycombe substitute Junior Morias to grab the winner ten minutes into the first period when he fired low under the 'keeper. The home side then had a late rally in an attempt to grab another equaliser with claims for handball against Halls in the penalty area being waved away frustrating the home contingent, while 'keeper Oliver also tried his luck late on when he saw his header from a corner cleared by the Wanderers defence. Details of the semi-final draw to follow. Wycombe: Ingram, McCoy, Webbe, Stewart, Halls, Ehui (sub 105 Kelly), Kewley-Graham, Harris (sub 72 Morias), Strevens (sub 72 Ighorae), Taylor, Rendell - subs not used: Thomas, Twum - Att: 217
(Monday 9th January 2012)
Wanderers have been given permission to extend the loan of Marcello Trotta beyond the agreed date of 14th January 2012 according to reports in the Fulham Chronicle. The Fulham striker joined Wycombe on loan on 24th November 2011 and scored six goals in his first four appearances. The options for extending the loan will either be up to the maximum short term period of 93 days (25th Feb 2012) or to agree, during the transfer window, a long term loan until the end of the season. Fulham boss Martin Jol said, "[Trotta] will stay there as long as we're fine with our strikers. There's a recall clause, so if I need him he will come back." He added "If you look at that league there's other players who have scored loads of goals, like [Jordan] Rhodes at Huddersfield. But I feel Trotta, if he had been there from the start of the season, would've scored loads of goals.
(Friday 6th January 2012)
Wanderers went down to a humiliating 6-0 home defeat in front of the Sky cameras to Huddersfield Town on Friday evening. Manager Gary Waddock was left fuming after the game following, while fans were left stunned by the ease that the visitors cut through the Wanderers defence - Jordan Rhodes bagging five goals in Wanderers' heaviest home defeat in the Football League. The first goal arrived in the 10th minute when Oscar Gorbern headed home unmarked from a Gary Roberts corner. Rhodes then exploded on the scene, netting on 18 and 25 minutes to give the Terriers a 3-0 lead at the break and it could have been worse. After the break it did get worse, with Rhodes completing his hat-trick on 49 minutes and then converting in the 58th and 69th minutes to compound the misery for Waddock's side. Late chances for Wycombe saw Stuart Beavon fire at the 'keeper and a cross/shot from the right wing from Gareth Ainsworth hit the corner of post and bar at the Valley End. By that time the gallows humour had set in amongst many of the Wanderers faithful, with any completed passes or shots being greeted with ironic cheers. Wanderers travel to Preston North End next Saturday (14th Jan) looking for a change of fortune. Wycombe: Bull, Foster, Johnson (sub 53 McCoy), Tunnicliffe, Basey, Grant, Bloomfield, Lewis, McNamee (sub 64 Ainsworth), Trotta (sub 64 Halls), Beavon - subs not used: Strevens, Harris - Att: 4,465 (away 360)
(Thursday 5th January 2012)
QPR striker Angelo Balanta is reported to be set for a return to Adams Park on another loan spell. The Colombian born player made 11 appearances for Wycombe during the 2008/2009 season as an 18 year old under Peter Taylor. He scored three goals in his spell with the Wanderers before he was recalled a week early from his three month loan because he was due to play in an U21 tournament. Since then he has spent most of his time on loan at MK Franchise, scoring 10 League goals in 38 appearances. However, the loan to Franchise expired in the January 2012 transfer window and a move to Wycombe is now hinted.
(Monday 2nd January 2012)
A lacklustre performance by Wanderers on Holiday Monday ended with a 2-0 defeat to Bournemouth at Dean Court. Wycombe held their own until the 27th minute when Wes Thomas struck home with a low effort . Wycombe were rarely in after that point and it was no surprise when the home side extended their lead in the 50th minute when Michael Symes headed home following a corner from the left by Marc Pugh. The margin could have been a greater on an afternoon when The Cherries racked up 16 shots on target compared to Wycombe's 3. Team news for the game had seen James Tunnicliffe come in for the injured Dave Winfield, Stuart Lewis returned after a one match suspension and Gareth Ainsworth started in place of the dropped Joel Grant and John Halls. The result sees Wycombe fall back another place deeper into the relegation zone with the prospect of Huddersfield Town visiting Adams Park on Friday evening (6th Jan). Wycombe: Bull, McCoy (sub 64 Basey), Johnson, Tunniclife, Foster, Ainsworth (sub 71 Harris), Bloomfield, Lewis, McNamee, Trotta, Beavon - subs not used: Grant, Strevens, Rendell - Att: 7,202 (away 640)
(Sunday 1st January 2012)
Out of favour midfielder Ben Harding has been loaned to Northampton Town until the end of the 2011/12 campaign. Harding was Gary Waddock's first signing during the summer of 2011 when he returned again to former club Aldershot Town to capture the services of the then 26 year old on a two year deal. However, he failed to make much of mark on First Team affairs, making just three starts in the Football League before injury in the Football League Trophy defeat to Cheltenham Town on 4th October 2011. Despite returning to fitness he did not appear again prior to the move to Sixfields. His complete record at Wycombe was 11 appearances (including 6 as substitute) - no goals.
(Sunday 1st January 2012)
Wanderers entered the January 2012 transfer window with the news that left-back Grant Basey had signed a permanent deal with the Club. Basey, now 23 years old, originally joined Wycombe on a month long deal from Peterborough United at the start of October 2011. That deal was extended to the end of 2011 after he earnt an ever-present status for Wanderers during his debut month at Adams Park. He has signed a contract with Wycombe that runs until the end of the 2012/13 season.

Previous month ||| Latest news from
News Archive
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
News Archive
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
News Archive
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
News Archive
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
News Archive
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
News Archive
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
News Archive
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006
December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
News Archive
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005
December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
News Archive
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004
March 2004
February 2004
January 2004
December 2003
November 2003
October 2003
September 2003
August 2003
July 2003
June 2003
News Archive
May 2003
April 2003
March 2003
February 2003
January 2003
December 2002
November 2002
October 2002
September 2002
August 2002
News Archive
goes back to 1997
Archive Index
Search Chairboys on the Net
enter keyword

powered by FreeFind

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet