ADAMS COMPLETES CULL
(Friday 14th May 2004)
Tony Adams completed his cull of the Wycombe squad with the release of a retained list for the 2004/5 season on Friday morning. First Team regulars Danny Bulman, Michael Simpson and Chris Vinnicombe head the list on the way out with Darren Currie already departed by mutual agreement the previous Monday. Charlie Mapes has been told he is free to look for a new club but has been given the option by Adams to return at the end of June for more talks. Ian Simpemba and Steve Williams have both been offered new one year deals but both have yet to sign up to the reduced terms but have until the end of May to make a decision. Former Millwall defender Stuart Nethercott has also been offered a deal on considerably less than he was on last season but it's understood he has already rejected the offer.
Scott Marshall, Adams' first signing at Wycombe, is also being shown the door after a disappointing time at Wycombe where he made just 9 appearances before missing the remainder of the season through injury. Lewis Cook, Richard Harris and Andy Thomson complete the list within the current First Team squad who not be retained.
The Adams cull is not stoping at First Team level. COTN understands that Adams has been pro-active in discussions with the Youth Team management and that only midfielder Matt Fox will be kept on from the Second Year Scholars, while Third Years Stuart Hole, Jamie McClurg and Tom Gott are all heading for the exit. Mark Philo remains the only graduate from the Third Year age group with Andy Reilly already signed on professional forms from the year below.
It will be the departure of Bulman, Simpson and Vinnicombe that will conclude the biggest ever overhaul of the First Team squad since Wanderers joined the Football League in 1993. Coupled with the departure of Steve Brown, these four players have raked up close to 1300 Wycombe First Team appearances between them and Adams will be hard pressed to match that sort of experience.
Simpson seemed particuarly disappointed to be heading out of Adams Park after originally being signed by John Gregory in December 1996. He told the Bucks Free Press "It hurts to be released but to be honest I was expecting it. I don't think I should have been released and he said he did it for financial reasons. He said it had been a hard decision but that he couldn't offer me what I am on at the minute and that he couldn't offer me anything." The 30 year old now says he hopes to get another club in the Second Division at least but added "It's sad walking out after seven years. I have really enjoyed my time here."
Danny Bulman was also upset with the way the exits were handled. According to the Bucks Free Press, the players were told on Monday (10th May) that they would be sent letters informing them of a meeting with the Manager to discuss their contract. However, Bulman forced the issue, commenting "I didn't see the point in waiting for a letter to arrive. I didn't want to hang around and went to see him (Tony Adams) to ask for a Yes or No, and he said there's nothing doing for you. I needed to know because we are about to move house." The 25 year old has now pulled out of his intentions to move house and will spend time trying to find another professional club. His parting shot at Adams was "I hope that one day I can come back and haunt the manager by scoring the winning goal against his team."
Click here for all the latest from chairboys.co.uk
|© Chairboys on the Net 2004 - all rights reserved.|
All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet