Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 
Wycombe Wanderers - click here for your Rough Guide to The Chairboys Wycombe Wanderers 2 Wimbledon Football Club
Wimbledon 2
Saturday 17th February 2001
FA Cup Fifth Round
Click here for reports on the Chairboys in the Cup 2000/2001Cocky Wimbledon were made to pay for second-half complacency as a 79th minute equalising goal from Steve Brown forced a replay at Selhurst Park on Tuesday evening. The Dons looked to have the tie in the bag after first half goals from Mark Williams and Patrick Agyemang but Lawrie Sanchez had other ideas. Having risked playing a struggling Andy Rammell, Sanchez made a triple substitution just ten minutes into the second-half and it perked up Wycombe. There were only 18 minutes remaining when Dons 'keeper Kelvin Davis cleared into the path of Sam Parkin down the left flank. Parkin then put in a weak cross that Keith Ryan tried to direct towards goal only for it to be partially cleared, cue Michael Simpson whose shot from 15 yards trundled its way into the far corner after taking a slight deflection off of a Dons player. That gave Wycombe the required lift and seven minutes later the scores were level. Wycombe were awarded an indirect free-kick from just six yards out after a ball had been kicked back to Davis. Steve Brown blasted in the free-kick but as the ball looked to have been cleared from danger if was planted back in again by Chris Vinnicombe and Brown was lurking to sneak the ball home from close range at the far post. While Wycombe players and fans celebrated, The Dons' players and fans took out their anger out on the match officials as they claimed for offside.
Despite the controversy surrounding the equaliser, there will be few people at the game who would argue that Wycombe didn't deserve their second-chance against The Dons. Watching and reading much of the media coverage after the game, you may have got the impression that Wycombe had been outclassed from start to finish. However, that simply wasn't the case. After Mark Rogers had headed off the line in the 7th minute from Agyemang probing cross from the right Wycombe tried to stamp their mark on the game. Steve Brown took that took literally in the 13th minute when he caught Neil Ardley but he could have opened the scoring two minutes later when he stabbed the ball high of the target after Keith Ryan had delivered from the left. A hectic opening for 'Brownie' was concluded in the 15th minute when he picked up a yellow card for another robust challenge on Ardley. There was another terrific chance for Wycombe on 20 minutes when Ryan's cross from the right was knocked into the patch of Simpson by Kelvin Davis following pressure from Andy Rammell, unfortunately 'Simo' couldn't keep the shot down and it sailed into a buoyant Valley End.
The Don's always looked dangerous on the break and Martin Taylor needed to be alert to collect Jason Euell's header from the under the crossbar in the 21st minute following Gareth Ainsworth's sweeping cross from the right.
Euell headed over again two minutes later but this time it was over his own crossbar following Wycombe's first corner - taken from the right by Simpson. Rogers then headed over from the resulting corner as Wycombe continued a good spell of pressure.
The Dons took the lead shortly after a flare up in midfield. A very late challenge on Jason Cousins by Darren Holloway had Paul McCarthy frothing at the mouth as the Irishman grabbed the 1million signing by the neck. Both players ended up in the book and 'Macca's punishment will mean a two match suspension for the forthcoming games against Port Vale and Reading.
That momentary lack of composure continued as Wycombe conceded in the 32nd minute - Williams heading home from the edge of the six-yard box from Ardley's deep corner.
Wycombe's best chance of the half came three minutes before the break after Rogers high ball into the box was headed into the path of Ryan by Holloway but the first time effort from the Wycombe Captain was tipped around the post by Davis.
A goal for Wycombe then would have put a different complexion on the game but in the final minute of the half Ainsworth worked the ball across from the right to Euell and the light footed striker found Agyemang who managed to direct the ball past Taylor from just right of the penalty spot.
Half-time Wycombe 0 Wimbledon 2
You would have needed to be the eternal optimist to see a way back at this point and the opening exchanges of the second-half could have seen The Dons put the game totally of of Wycombe's reach. Swede Par Karlsson forced a good save from Taylor on 48 minutes and Agyemang was left with a free run at goal before his unselfish cross was cleared by Rogers.
That was enough for Sanchez to play his trick straight from the 'Barry Fry school of Management'. On came the three subs and Wycombe were transformed. Within three minutes McCarthy headed wide from Rogers cross from the right and then just after the hour mark Sam Parkin should have done better with a header at the near post from Brown's corner from the left. Simpson then sent in a 35 yarder to give the boisterous away support something to think about.
Wycombe's lifeline came in the 72nd minute when Simpson sneaked the ball home and it was 'game on'.  Six minutes later The Dons day fell apart as Brown stuck out a leg to force the ball past Davis and it was party time yet again at Adams Park. Even more amazing was the fact that the goal was scored with just ten Wycombe players on the pitch following an injury to Rogers. The Canadian continued on as makeshift centre-forward with Dannie Bulman dropping back to right-back and despite the rearrangements it was Wycombe who looked the side most likely to grab the winner.
It's now back to Selhurst Park on Tuesday for the right to visit Leicester City in the Sixth Round. Don't write off Wycombe yet. 
Final Score Wycombe 2 Wimbledon 2
Wycombe: Taylor, Rogers, Vinnicombe, Cousins, McCarthy, Carroll (sub 55 Baird), Simpson, Lee (sub 55 Parkin), Rammell (sub 55 Bulman), Brown, Ryan
subs not used: Westhead, Bates
Yellow Cards: Brown (15 foul), McCarthy (29 foul)
Wimbledon: Davis, Cunningham, Holloway, Williams, Hawkins, Ainsworth, Ardley, Anderson, Karlsson, Euell, Agyemang (sub 67 Gayle)
subs not used: Heald, Willmott, Gray, Hunt
Yellow Cards: Anderson (27 foul), Holloway (28 foul), Euell (79 dissent)
Referee: Eddie Wolstenholme Attendance: 9,650 (Away 1,371)

Chairboys phase the Crazygang - post match reaction >>>
The Chairboys
FA Cup run 2000/2001
Sat 18th Nov 2000
1st Round
Wycombe 3
Harrow 0

Sun 10th Dec 2000
2nd Round
Millwall 0
Wycombe 0

Tue 19th Dec 2000
2nd Round replay
Wycombe 2
Millwall 1

Sat 6th Jan 2001
3rd Round
Wycombe 1
Grimsby Town 1

Tues 16th Jan 2001
3rd Round replay
Grimsby Town 1
Wycombe 3

Sat 27th Jan 2001
4th Round
Wycombe 2
Wolves 1

Wycombe's full FA Cup record >>>

Chairboys on the Net Reults and Reports archive, click here for access to 250 reports
Match Report Archive
(over 250 reports!)
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 17th February
Wimbledon Football Club Quick Guide to The Dons.
Past meetings, connections, web links and more

Match reports © 2001
Chairboys on the Net
Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet