Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 
Grimsby Town - click here for Quick Guide Grimsby Town 1 Wycombe Wanderers - click here for your Rough Guide to The Chairboys
Wycombe Wanderers 3
Tuesday 16th January 2001
FA Cup Third Round Proper replay
Grimsby v Wycombe programmeA new chapter was wrote in the history of Wycombe Wanderers as Division One Grimsby Town were dumped out of the FA Cup on a memorable night for all connected with the Club.
Two Wycombe goals during a two minute spell in the first-half rocked the home side and although The Mariners pulled a goal back shortly before the break, it was Wycombe who looked the more composed side after the interval. A Mark Rogers goal mid-way through the second-half gave Wycombe the vital breathing space needed to earn a first ever appearance in the Fourth Round.
Wolves will now be the visitors to Adams Park on Saturday 27th January for what is sure to be another memorable day.
Sanchez made two changes to the side that started against Luton last Friday - Mark Rogers starting at right-back instead of Danny Senda and rewarding Martyn Lee with a start before the experience of Steve Brown.
Sanchez' faith in Lee paid off as the 20 year old had a hand in all three goals. His 30th minute free-kick from the right side was curled past the Grimsby wall and it was Paul McCarthy who was lurking to help the ball in. Wycombe were 2-0 up within the next 90 seconds. Lee struck in a free-kick from a similar position to his first and when the Grimsby defence failed to clear properly Michael Simpson struck the shot of his career to crash the ball home from just outside the penalty area.
It was a dream start for Wycombe who had just about contained the Mariners during the opening exchanges. In the 10th minute Tony Gallimore put in Steve Livingstone but Martin Taylor produced a quality block. Kevin Donovan also fluffed a great chance on 24 minutes when he was one on one with Taylor. The Mariners striker scuffed the ball over the bar and then had the cheek to complain that he had been fouled.
Wycombe's two goal salvo turned the game on its head but The Wanderers had to go through a nervous spell shortly before half-time that nearly let The Mariners back into the game. In the 44th minute Michael Jeffrey was given far too much space in the left side of the Wycombe penalty and he gave Martin Taylor no chance with a powerful drive. Wycombe were then grateful to see Stuart Campbell volley over as the half ended with The Wanderers leading by two goals to one.
Half-time Grimsby 1 Wycombe 2
The second-half display from Wycombe was one worthy of taking the Club through to the Fourth Round for the first time ever. It would have been quite easy to try and hang on to the slender lead but instead it was Wycombe who ran the show for the majority of the half.
The home side attacked in patches but McCarthy and Cousins did enough to frustrate the locals.
Wycombe sealed the game in the 67th minute after Bulman's shot had been cleared for a corner on the left. Lee delivered the dead-ball to the far post and it was Mark Rogers who came through a melee of players to head the ball home at the near post.
This was dream time for the 200 or so Wycombe fans who had braved the journey north who knew that this was surely enough to earn the Fourth Round meeting with Wolves.
Grimsby had efforts to drag the tie back but after Cousins had cleared a Nielsen header off the line in the 71st minute it was Wycombe who killed the game off by keeping possession and teaching the Division One side a footballing lesson.
After four minutes of stoppage time the final whistle was greeted with wild celebrations by the Wycombe fans as the players acknowledged their support. For those who travelled up to see this little piece of history in the making, it was a pleasure to be there. For those who couldn't make it, the next round gives the perfect opportunity to really come out and support Lawrie Sanchez's side.
Final Score Grimsby 1 Wycombe 3
Wycombe: Taylor, Vinnicombe, Rogers (sub 88 Bates), Cousins, McCarthy, Bulman, Brady (sub 70 Brown), Lee, Simpson, Rammell, Baird (sub 75 Senda)
subs not used: Harkin, Westhead
Yellow Cards: Rogers (61 foul), Cousins (79 foul),  
Grimsby: Coyne, Butterfield, Gallimore, Handyside, R Smith, Coldicott (sub 70 Nielsen), Willems (sub HT Burnett), Campbell, Donovan, Livingstone, Jeffrey
subs: Croudson, Enhua, Groves
Yellow Cards: Willems (27 foul), Donovan (73 dissent)
Referee: Paul Dowd Attendance: 3,269 (250 Wycombe approx)
Chairboys Stat File
16th Jan 2001

Division Two
Played 25
Won 10
Drew 7
Lost 8
Goals For 27
Goals Against 21
Position 9th

Top Scorers (League)
Andy Rammell 10
Steve Brown 4
Andy Baird 3
Jamie Bates 3
Jermaine McSporran 2
Dannie Bulman 2
Sam Parkin 1
Paul McCarthy 1
Michael Simpson 1
FA Cup run 2000/2001
Sat 18th Nov 2000
FA Cup First Round
Wycombe 3
Harrow 0

Sun 10th Dec 2000
FA Cup 2nd Round
Millwall 0
Wycombe 0

Tue 19th Dec 2000
FA Cup 2nd Round
Wycombe 2
Millwall 1

Sat 6th Jan 2001
FA Cup Third Round
Wycombe 1
Grimsby Town 1

Wycombe's full FA Cup record >>>

Chairboys on the Net Reults and Reports archive, click here for access to 250 reports
Match Report Archive
(over 250 reports!)
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 16th January
Grimsby Town - click here for Quick Guide Quick Guide to The Mariners.
Past meetings, connections, web links and more

All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet