Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 
Wycombe Wanderers - click here for your Rough Guide to The Chairboys Wycombe Wanderers 2 Millwall - click here for your QuickGuide on The Lions
Millwall 1
Tuesday 19th December 2000
FA Cup Second Round Proper - replay
Andy Rammell - picture Paul DennisWycombe overcame a double injury blow to progress to the Third Round of FA Cup with a sweet 2-1 victory over Millwall at Adams Park. With Jermaine McSporran and Jamie Bates both missing through injury, Lawrie Sanchez reshuffled his side with five changes to the one that were unlucky to lose at Wigan the previous Saturday.
In came Niall Thompson and Jason Cousins to the starting line-up start and there were also recalls for Ben Townsend, Dannie Bulman and Mo Harkin.
Once again Sanchez's faith in his squad was rewarded as Millwall boss Mark McGhee was made to eat his words as Wycombe outplayed the leaders on the pristine Adams Park surface.
Wycombe went at Millwall from the off. In the 6th minute Harkin worked the ball in from the right wing but Michael Simpson's snap-shot failed to test Tony Warner in the Millwall goal. Two minutes later Thompson volleyed over after Simpson's free-kick had been played. Bulman and Brown then saw 20 yard plus efforts go just wide as the visitors hardly had a touch.
Wycombe made the early pressure tell in the 18th minute when Andy Rammell regained his scoring touch by nodding in Paul McCarthy's flick-on from Steve Brown's free-kick from the right wing.
The goal shook up the visitors and they responded six minutes later when Northern Ireland Under 21 International Joe Dolan swept the ball in after David Livermore's free-kick had been headed on by Neil Harris and the Wycombe defence failed to clear their lines.
The fear that Millwall might take a stranglehold of the game from this point on were muted by solid defensive display by Wycombe. Steven Reid fired straight at Martin Taylor in the 31st minute after being allowed to run through from midfield and there was also a scare when Paul Ifill broke in from the right flank but Wycombe got back in numbers.
Wycombe had further chances too. Brown's inswinging cross had Warner scrambling back to push the ball over the bar after 33 minutes before the match winning goal on the stroke of half-time. Once again it was a dead-ball, this time a corner from the left by Brown that was headed back by Thompson for McCarthy to convert with a strangely agile overhead kick.
Half-time Wycombe 2 Millwall 1
As you would expect Millwall pressed for an equaliser in the second-half but it certainly wasn't one-way traffic. After surviving a fierce spell of pressure both Thompson and Brown saw shots parried by Lions 'keeper Tony Warner. The latter effort fell just short of Rammell as Wycombe looked to seal the game.
The final push from Millwall saw leading scorer Neil Harris frustrated again in the 74th minute when Taylor palmed away his low shot. Then in the final minute, just like the first game at the New Den, Taylor had the woodwork to thank as Harris's header from substitute Christophe Kinet's left wing cross rebounded to safety of the far post. Further frustration then set as Kinet was booked for throwing the ball at Townsend during stoppage time, while at the final whistle the seething Millwall fans turned their anger to match official Uriah Rennie.
So Wycombe go through to meet Grimsby Town in the Third Round on Saturday 6th January and if they can match the spirit in this performance there is no reason why a first ever place in the Fourth Round can't be achieved.
Full-time Wycombe 2 Millwall 1
Wycombe: Taylor, Townsend (sub 90 Rogers), Vinnicombe, Cousins, McCarthy, Brown, Bulman, Simpson, Harkin (sub 64 Carroll), Rammell, Thompson (sub 75 Senda) 
subs not used: Ryan, Westhead
Yellow Card: Brown (65 foulplay)
Millwall: Warner, Bircham, Lawrence, Ryan (sub 51 Kinet), Dolan, Dyche, Ifill, Livermore (sub 55 Cahill), Harris, Sadlier, Reid
subs not used: Gueret, Moody, Nethercott
Yellow Cards: Harris (65 foulplay), Kinet (90 dissent)
Referee: Uriah Rennie Attendance: 3,878 (861 Millwall)
Chairboys Stat File
19th Dec 2000

Division Two
Goals For
Goals Against 1

Top Scorers (League)
Andy Rammell 6
Steve Brown
Andy Baird 3
Jamie Bates 3
Jermaine McSporran 2
Dannie Bulman 1
Sam Parkin 1

Paul McCarthy 1
Michael Simpson 1
Previous FA Cup Games
Sat 18th Nov 2000
FA Cup First Round
Wycombe 3
Harrow 0

Sun 10th Dec 2000
FA Cup 2nd Round
Millwall 0
Wycombe 0

Wycombe's full FA Cup record >>>
Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive
(over 200 reports!)
2000/2001 - current season

- This time it was easy

1998/1999 - The ultimate survival battle ending at Lincoln

1997/1998 - Wanderers survive again

1996/1997 - Another survival battle

Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 19th December
Millwall - click here for your QuickGuide on The Bees Quick Guide to The Lions
Past meetings, connections, web links and more

All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet