Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
report archive
September 1998 Reports
Also from 1998/99
On this page
Tue 8th Sep 1998 - Wycombe 0 Preston 1 - Division Two
Sat 12th Sep 1998 - Burnley 1 Wycombe 1 - Division Two
Sat 19th Sep 1998 - Wycombe 0 Bournemouth 2 - Division Two
Sat 26th Sep 1998 - Colchester 2 Wycombe 1 - Division Two
Tue 29th Sep 1998 - Fulham 2 Wycombe 0 - Division Two
Also see
Wed 16th Sep 1998 - Middlesbrough v Wycombe - Worthington Cup 1R - 1L
Tue 22nd Sep 1998 - Wycombe v Middlesbrough - Worthington Cup 1R - 2L 
Tuesday 29th September 1998
Football League Division Two

It was men against boys at Craven Cottage on Tuesday as Wycombe made it no wins from their opening ten league games. Wycombe were behind after only 12 minutes when Chris Coleman headed home a corner. Andrew Baird and Gary Wraight made their first starts in the Wycombe First Team but Wraight saw red eight minutes into the second-half when he was sent off for a second bookable offence. Wycombe held Fulham at bay thanks to the help of an incredible display by Martin Taylor in goal. Then on 68 minutes after tipping away a free-kick for a corner, he could do nothing to stop Paul Bracewell from stabbing home when the ball broke loose in the Wycombe area. Substitute Paul Read had a good effort saved by Maik Taylor in the Fulham goal with five minutes left but Wycombe were never in it after the early set-back and losing Wraight.
Wraight was drafted into the side after Jason Kavanagh failed a fitness test having picked up a knock in Saturday's reverse at Colchester. Dave Carroll returned in midfield for Cornforth with Andy Baird getting a run up front for the first time. Baird and Stallard both had half-chances for Wycombe within the opening ten minutes but Fulham took their grip on the game following a free-kick into the Wycombe box. Taylor saved well from the head of Rob Scott but from the resulting corner Coleman took advantage of a static Wycombe defence and headed home. Former Man City defender forced Taylor to tip over after 28 minutes and moments later Taylor was there again with a brilliant double save. Wraight nightmare evening began to devlop when he chopped down Peter Beardsley after 32 minutes and was shown the yellow card. Wycombe's best spell of the half came eleven minutes before the break when Baird saw a good run ended with foul by Symon. Two minutes later Baird drilled the ball across the face of face of the goal but Emblen couldn't reach it.
Half-time Fulham 1 Wycombe 0
Dannie Bulman was booked three minutes into the second-half after being kicked by Rufus Brevett. Brevett seemed more than happy to dish out the stiff challenges but went down like he had been shot if the same was returned. Wraight took this one step further on 53 minutes when he lost his head and cut Brevett down again - the red card was inevitable. Wycombe reorganised with Bulman dropping back to right-back as Fulham tried to kill the game off. Fulham finally picked up their token booking on the hour when Coleman mugged Emblen but eight minutes later it was 'game over'. Cousins conceeded another free-kick that was again saved by Taylor but as Wycombe claimed for a handball against Rob Scott, Bracewell struck home.
The remainder of the game was really a case of playing out time. Read, Vinnicombe and Cornforth were all introduced as the 200 hundred lonely Wycombe fans on the Craven Cottage terrace were left to engage in another post-match debate.

Full-Time Fulham 2 Wycombe 0
WYCOMBE TEAM:Taylor, Wraight, Beeton, Mohan, Cousins, Brown, Carroll, Bulman (sub 83 Cornforth), Stallard (sub 78 Vinnicombe), Baird (sub 74 Read), Emblen Att:7,447
Next game at home to Notts County on Saturday - kick-off 3.00pm. To say we are due a home league win is an under-statement. The last win was on the 14th March 1998 against Plymouth - since then Wycombe have gone 9 games without a league victory at Adams Park - it's been torture but it's got to end soon?

Back To Top
Saturday 26th September 1998
Football League Division Two

After taking the lead through a well worked goal from Mark Stallard on 60 minutes, Wycombe conceeded within five minutes when Steve Forbes knocked in a Joe Dunn cross. Then as ninety approached a rash challenge by Nicky Mohan on Mark Sale gave the home side a penalty. The chance was converted by David Gregory and Colchester claimed only their second victory against Wycombe at Layer Road. Wycombe have now started the season with no wins in nine starts and at this rate will be relegated in record time. Neil Smillie's attempt to attract new players to the Club in midweek failed and he stuck with the same side that had put up a reasonable show against Middlesbrough.
It was Colchester who made the better openings in the first half and Martin Taylor made a number of saves to deny long range efforts. On 10 minutes Sale laid off to Dunn whose high ball came off the bar and back into Taylor's arms. Sale was Colchester's target man and time and time again caused problems for the Wycombe defence. On 22 minutes Beeton missed a header and Neil Gregory shot wide from 15 yards. Wycombe's efforts relyed on the efforts of Emblen and the endless running of Bulman. It was Emblen's flick on 24 minutes that created Wycombe's best chance of the half but a firey Brown saw his shot tipped wide by Carl Emberson in the home goal. Five minutes before the break Bulman and Emblen combined again only for Brownie to see his shot saved again by Emberson.
Wycombe's goal on the hour was a well worked move. It started when Brown cleared a Colchester corner to Alan Beeton. He played an exchange with Emblen before passing to Bulman who found Cornforth and his high ball from inside the Wycombe half was headed over Emberson by Stallard after one bounce. Thoughts of this is where are season starts were ended within five minutes when Forbes headed home after a quick throw on the Colchester right. Colchester turned the screw as they sensed victory. Former Wanderer Paul Buckle forced Taylor into a good save on 70 minutes, then as it looked if Wycombe had hung on for a point, Mohan lost his head in the area and another 90th minute goal consigned Wycombe to another pointless afternoon (in more ways than one).

Full-Time Colchester 2 Wycombe 1
WYCOMBE TEAM:Taylor, Kavanagh, Beeton, Cornforth, Cousins, Mohan, Bulman, Brown, Stallard, Vinnicombe (sub 90 Baird), Emblen subs not used Carroll and Wraight Att:4,205

Back To Top
Worthington Cup Second Round
Reports and comments by following these links
First Leg - The Riverside Stadium - Wednesday 16th September 1998
Second Leg - Adams Park - Tuesday 22nd September 1998

Saturday 19th September 1998
Football League Division Two
Wycombe were knocked firmly back to square one at a sunny Adams Park on Saturday. After encouraging performances against Burnley and Middlesbrough, Bournemouth were in no mood to be the victims of Wycombe's rise from the depths of the Division Two table. The visitors attacked from the off and after taking a two goal lead within the opening 30 minutes the game was as good as dead for Wycombe. The only highlight of the day for The Wanderers was the full debut of Dannie Bulman. He rightly won the Man of the Match award for his tireless chasing and enthusiasm - if only Wycombe had another half-dozen players with his eagerness and will to win.The result makes the bottom of the table very grim reading for Wycombe fans and the last home league victory now stretches back six months.
Neil Smillie made three changes from the side that had battled so well at The Riverside Stadium on Wednesday - Martin Taylor returned in goal after the heroics of Mark Westhead while Steve Brown and Bulman came in for Chris Vinnicombe and Dave Carroll. Bulman looked the most comfortable Wycombe player on the ball while the exceptional heat meant that John Cornforth revelled with the extra time and space in midfield. The opening exchanges were fairly even but after Wycombe had lost McGavin with a mystery injury, Bournemouth began to take command and took the lead on 25 minutes when a move down the left ended with Steve Fletcher scoring from close range. Five minutes later it went completely pear shaped for Wycombe as a similar move saw John O'Neill stroke home as the Wycombe defence were left ball watching. It took Wycombe until the 41st minute to form their first attack and it was the unusual site of Jason Cousins seeing a shot parried away by The Cherries 'keeper following a corner on the right. Bournemouth took it easy in the second half, unfortunately so did Wycombe. Bulman wook up the crowd on 65 minutes when his shot from the left didn't have enough power to beat the 'keeper while Steve Brown saw a long range effort tipped over on 74 minutes - that was it as far as Wycombe were concerned. Bournemouth could have made it three with five minutes left when Martin Taylor pulled off an extraordinary double save - the second of which saw him tip over a Stein effort while half recovering from the first.
So, another immense disappointment for Wycombe as the situation begins to look helpless. Tuesday's encounter with Middlesbrough will be another welcome break from the League traumas but with away games at Colchester and Fulham coming within the next ten days - the first victory could still be some time coming.

Full-time Wycombe 0 Bournemouth 2
WYCOMBE TEAM:Taylor, Kavanagh, Beeton, Cornforth, Cousins, Mohan, Bulman, Brown, Stallard, McGavin (sub 20 Carroll), Emblen subs not used Vinnicombe and McCarthy Att:4,267

Back To Top
Saturday 12th September 1998
Football League Division Two
A gritty performance from Wycombe at Turf Moor earnt a well deserved point. Wycombe, with Mark Westhead in goal for the injured Martin Taylor, fell behind after only 5 minutes when Andy Payton was allowed to stroll through from midfield. Wycombe fought back however and equalised on 36 minutes when a John Cornforth free-kick deflected off the top of the Burnley wall and Paul Read's attempted overhead kick was picked out by Mark Stallard to fire home. The match could have gone either way in the second period. Stallard saw a shot brilliantlly saved by the Burnley 'keeper on 58 minutes after Carroll had crossed from the right while Burnley hit the post in injury time and Patton couldn't follow up.
After falling behind so early in the game it looked like this was going to be another miserable day for the Wycombe fans. Payton could have made it two moments after scoring but luckily he failed to connect with a low ball from the right. Cousins and Emblen picked up needless bookings before the equaliser delighted the 200 or so Wycombe fans in the 9,000 plus crowd. The goal lifted Wycombe and in a hectic spell before the break, Read fired just wide and Stallard had a strong claim for a penalty turned down when he was tackled on the left bye-line. Burnley had a goal dissallowed for offside on the stroke of half-time - let's just say it was a close decision.
Half-time 1-1
Wycombe had a purple patch after the re-start and looked happier when playing the ball on the deck. On 54 minutes Carroll squared from the right for Stallard to stab over while minutes later the same player seemed certain to score but for the heroics of the Burnley 'keeper. Then as the seemingly endless drizzle eased for a few minutes Cornforth fired over after Carroll had mazed in from the right. Wycombe had to defend in numbers when required - leaving Paul Read the solitary figure up front. On 69 minutes Nicky Mohan hacked the ball away from inside the Wycombe six-yard box and Jason Cousins had to be alert in a similar postition minutes later. Westhead showed his competance in goal when he pushed away a long range effort on 78 minutes and within a minute he saved from the ever dangerous Payton. Paul Read had to be replaced on 84 minutes after picking up an injury to his right ankle that was bandaged immediately by phsyio Dave Jones. Wycombe survived another injury time scare before celebrating the result as if it was a victory.
So, a welcome relief at the final whistle for loyal travelling fans and a performance that will give the supporters and Neil Smillie some added confidence after recent results. Westhead did an excellent job in goal after Taylor pulled out with an injured back and also special praise should go to Alan Beeton who hardly put a foot wrong at the back. Up front Wycombe created more chances than during all the previous league games. Next step is to gain some much needed league points - high flying Bornemouth visit Adams Park next Saturday - Wycombe have never beaten them at home - this is the perfect time to start.

Full-time Burnley 1 Wycombe 1
WYCOMBE TEAM:Westhead, Kavanagh, Beeton, Cornforth, Cousins, Mohan, Carroll, Brown, Stallard, Read (sub 84 McGavin), Emblen subs not used Vinnicombe and Bulman Att:9,120

Back To Top
Tuesday 8th September 1998
Football League Division Two
The misery for Wycombe fans continued on Tuesday night with another home defeat - this time to Preston. A solitary goal in the 75th minute was enough to nail Wycombe firmly to the foot of the table with just one point from the opening six League games.
Neil Smillie made one enforced change from the side that squeezed a draw against Bristol Rovers on Holiday Monday - bringing in Jason Kavanagh for the injured Keith Ryan. Monday's hero Dannie Bulman has to be content with another place on the bench along with Steve McGavin and John Cornforth. On-loan Paul Emblen worked hard in a central position as an attacking midfielder but backed by a 600 strong following, Preston created the better openings in the first-half. Wycombe survived several 'pinball' affairs in their own penalty area but neither 'keeper had to make any significant saves. Wycombe came on stronger in the second-half - forcing two corners in quick succession in the opening stages - but without success. McGavin and Cornforth were introduced as the game entered the final twenty minutes but all they could do was to see Wycombe concede another sloppy goal. Kurt Nogan was the scorer for the visitors, side footing home a simple chance after the ball had found its way across the Wycombe area from the left. It was another bitter blow but Wycombe should have equalised six minutes later. Alan Beeton sent across a high ball from the left to the far post but Kavanagh headed into the side netting as the home crowd groaned with despair. Dannie Bulman got another chance with six minutes on the clock and continued where he left off against Bristol Rovers by using just about every part of his body except his feet to play the ball. In his short time on the field he got a shoulder and the back his leg in the way of the ball, managed to take a throw-in and then had a half-chance to equalise when he sent a header straight at the Preston 'keeper after a difficult ball from the right - apparently he's saving his feet for the game with Boro'. Preston could have quite easily have scored again in injury time as Wycombe left holes at the back. The final whistle signalled more howls of protests from some sections of the home crowd. It maybe too early to panic but it looks like it's going to be a tough time ahead.

Full-time Wycombe 0 Preston 1
WYCOMBE TEAM:Taylor, Kavanagh (sub 84 Bulman), Beeton, Cousins, Vinnicombe (sub 73 Cornforth), Mohan, Carroll, Brown, Stallard, Read (sub 67 McGavin), Emblen Att:3,796

All match reports © 1998 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our permission
Back To Top
Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet