Cup Special brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Other Match reports are available via this link

Chairboys on the Net has full reports from both legs of the games with Middlesbrough. For alternative match reports follow the links from our Latest News Page.

Second Round Second Leg - Adams Park
Tuesday 22nd September 1998

Programme Cover from the game at Adams Park - click  for larger image Wycombe made a brave attempt to haul back the 2-0 deficit from the first leg at Adams Park on Tuesday. Boro's late goal in the first game made Wycombe's task difficult but the Wanderers continued their good home record in this competition against sides from higher leagues and took a first half lead with a wonder goal from Steve Brown. Boro were begining to rock in the second-half but a tragic error from Jason Cousins let in Gascoigne for Hamilton Ricard to score and effectively kill the game.
Boro started the game as if they were going to ease all fears of an upset but terrible finishing let them down. Robbie Stocklade missed a chance within the first two minutes after Gascoigne had crossed from the left and on 10 minutes Neil Maddison missed a sitter when he side footed wide from a right wing cross. Wycombe forced their first corner on 18 minutes but Cornforth's high ball was cleared and Ricard broke down the left - his cross being met by Stocklade at the far post but Taylor forced the corner. But Wycombe survived the pressure and opened the scoring on 24 minutes after Cornforth had robbed Gazza on the edge of the Wycombe box. Wycombe broke with Kavanagh whose cross was headed back by Stallard and then half cleared - the ball fell to Brown on the left edge of the box and as the crowd screamed shoot, after one touch, he did just that and hit an unstoppable ball past Beresford. The goal shook Boro to the hilt and going into half-time Wycombe were well on top forcing a couple corners and seeing Mark Stallard make a mazey run before a heavy challenge stopped him in his tracks.
Half-time Wycombe 1 Boro 0
The travelling Boro fans must have been getting worried as Wycombe contined to press in the second-half. Brian Robson again rested 6 regular First Teamers and he may not take that risk again in the later rounds as Boro aim to reach their third succesive final. Dannie Bulman continued his good work from Saturday and caused some problems for Boro on the right side. His determination won a free-kick early in the second-half and Cornforth's chip was met on the volley by Vinnicombe but it was straight at Beresford.
A two minute spell of madness put the tie out of Wycombe's reach. First Gazza sliced down Brown in front of the Woodlands Stand and was duley booked. Moments later Jason Cousins delayed on the ball in his own half and lost out to Gazza whose quick past found Ricard who slotted cooly past Taylor.
To their credit Wycombe continued to press but with at least two goals needed to forced extra time it was never on. Neil Smillie gave Andy Baird a 20 minute ran out but he never got going while Paul McCarthy made his first showing since August Bank Holiday. So it's back to the league grind until the delights of this season's FA Cup.
Final Score Wycombe 1 Boro 1 (Agg 1-3)
WYCOMBE TEAM:Taylor, Kavanagh (sub 88 Wraight), Beeton, Cornforth, Cousins, Mohan (sub 80 McCarthy), Vinnicombe, Brown, Stallard (sub 72 Baird), Bulman, Emblen subs not used Westhead and Carroll
BORO TEAM:Beresford, Stocklade (sub 46 Kinder), Blackmore, Cooper, Vickers, Stamp, Maddison, Gascoigne (sub 76 Summerbell), Beck (sub 69 Campbell), Ricard, Harrison subs not used Gavin and Moore Att: 5,698

All match reports © 1998 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our permission
Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet