Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 
Wycombe Wanderers - click here for your Rough Guide to The Chairboys Wycombe Wanderers 0 Stoke City - click here for quick guide on The Potters
Stoke City 1
Tuesday 13th March 2001
Nationwide Football League Division Two
Roy Essandoh - click here for profile - picture Paul DennisThe Wanderers were greeted by a rather disappointing crowd of just under 5,500 to see this Division Two clash with The Potters. The loyal contingent who were there saw Wycombe go down by a single goal and the Wanderers have gone five home League games without a win. Those that were there could have seen cup scoring hero Roy Essandoh play his last game for Wycombe. Essandoh's two week trial ended on Tuesday and Lawrie Sanchez will have to make a decision on the future of the 25 year today. Essandoh played his first 90 minutes of football in Britain after coming in for flu victim Keith Ryan and showed that his pace can cause problems for opposition defences. His finishing let him down on at least a couple of occasions as did Michael Simpson, who had a glorious chance to earn Wycombe a deserved point when he fired over in the second half from a good position.
The only goal of the game came after 10 minutes when Ben Townsend was adjudged to have fouled Peter Thorne deep in the Wycombe penalty area as the visitors exerted early pressure. Graham Kavanagh dispatched the spot-kick past Martin Taylor as City continued their good fortune at Adams Park.
After a slow start Wycombe responded with Essandoh going close on 22 minutes when his 20 yard volley rfom George Clegg's flick flashed just wide of the City upright. Essandoh was in the action again on 31 minutes when he was set free down the right but he ran out of room and the eventual pass fell behind Clegg. Two minutes later Steve Brown's corner from the left saw Essandoh connect with his head but the ball was deflected away for another corner.
Wycombe's policy of pushing up the central defenders nearly paid off two minutes before the break when Paul McCarthy was fouled just a fraction outside of the City penalty area and from the resulting free-kick Jamie Bates saw a bullet effort pierce the City wall only for 'keeper Birkir Kristinsson to block. The rebound was returned into the melting pot but Essandoh couldn't get control with his back to goal.
Thorne headed just wide for the visitors deep into first-half stoppage time as they continued to look a slick outfit on the break.
Half-time Wycombe 0 Stoke 1
Clegg's airkick from Bates' header four minutes into the second period just about summed up the Manchester youngsters evening and hsi strike partner Essandoh also faded out of the action as the game progressed.
It was a couple of substitutions that sprung Wycombe back into life just after the hour markas they converted to three up front. First a wounded Steve Brown was replaced by Martyn Lee and then Youth Teamer Leeyon Phelan was given his Football League debut. The top scorer in the Youth Team nearly capped an encouraging display when he saw a 74th minute effort cleared off the line after he had directed Essandoh's head on towards goal from the left bye-line.
Before Phelan's effort a sweeping move forward from Wycombe that saw Lee, Bulman and Clegg combine, ended with former Wycombe defender Nicky Mohan clear his lines but Wycombe's best chance to draw level came on 71 minutes. Jason Cousins, who seemed to everywhere on the right side, delivered a ball in from the right bye-line that was slapped away by Kristinsson right into the path of Simpson but unfortunately 'Simo' couldn't keep the ball down.
With Wycombe pushing so many bodies forward City had chances to wrap the game up. Thorne's header was well saved by Taylor in the 73rd minute and the same player headed just wide after Taylor spilled a cross.
Phelan saw his scooped shot from 15 yards trouble Kristinsson on 79 minutes while with six minutes left Essandoh skewed an effort horribly wide after Cousins had delivered a free-kick in from just over the half-way line.
For Wycombe it was the same old story of not being able to put the ball into the back of the net and it was a well organised City that would have been delighted to continue their 100% record at Adams Park.
Final Score Wycombe 0 Stoke City 1
Wycombe: Wycombe: Taylor, Vinnicombe, Townsend (sub 63 Phelan), Cousins, McCarthy, Bates, Simpson, Brown (sub 60 Lee), Bulman, Essandoh, Clegg
subs not used: Harkin, Brady, Castledine
Yellow Card: McCarthy (39 dissent). Brown (58 foul)
Stoke: Kristinsson, Clarke (sub 74 Thordason), Petty, Gudjonsson, Mohan, Gunnarsson, Kavanagh, Thorne (sub 81 Dadason), O'Connor, Cooke (sub 87 Risom), Thomas
subs not used: Ward, Henry
Yellow Cards: Thomas (33 dissent), Cooke (40 dissent)
Referee: Fraser Stretton Attendance: 5,385 (555 Stoke)
Chairboys Stat File
13th March 2001

Division Two
Played 32
Won 11
Drew 9
Lost 12
Goals For 32
Goals Against 34
Position 16th

Top Scorers (League)
Andy Rammell 10
Steve Brown
Andy Baird 3
Jamie Bates 3
Jermaine McSporran 2
Dannie Bulman 2
Martyn Lee 2
Keith Ryan 2
Sam Parkin 1
Paul McCarthy 1
Mark Rogers 1
Michael Simpson 1
Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Stoke City - click here for quick guide on The PottersQuick Guide to The Potters.
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 13th March

All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000, 2001
Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet