Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 

Visit The Gas Room

Avon Insurance Combination - click here for fixture listing 2000/2001 Wycombe Wanderers 2
Southend United 2
Wednesday 1st November 2000
Niall Thompson - goal for Reserves - pic Paul DennisThe Wanderers Reserve XI conceded two goals in the final nine minutes as they threw away a 2-0 lead against Southend United at Adams Park in the Avon Insurance Combination.
This game was hastily arranged after original opponents Cheltenham Town pulled out, claiming they couldn't field a side. However, with Lawrie Sanchez keen to see triallist Niall Thompson, Southend were asked to step in at the last moment. Thompson was joined by stand-in centre-half Kevin Stewart and striker Marcus Richardson in a Wanderers line-up hastily re-shuffled as a result of the FA Youth Cup replay the previous evening.
Rugged stopper Stewart is in the Neil Ruddock mould but it's thought that this is once only appearance for Wycombe. Mark Rogers played alongside Stewart in the centre of defence and looked far more comfortable than his recent First Team outings in the right-back slot. Richardson has apparently been attracting the attention of Walsall, West Ham and Cambridge United after spending time with Slough Town last season.  Wycombe could do no worse than taking another look at this tall pacey striker.
A fairly uneventful opening period saw Stewart Castledine send a long range effort high of the target. The ex-Wimbledon man had another quite game along with fellow fringe player Matt Brady.
The visitors rarely threatened, although in the 30th minute Ben Abbey forced Mark Westhead to tip around after the former Oxford striker shot on the turn..
It was Richardson who opened the scoring five minutes before the break. He latched onto a Brady corner from the right to drill the ball home from 15 yards.
Half-time Wycombe 1 Southend 0
Thompson is at the start of a month's trial with The Wanderers and looked solid on the ball despite lacking match fitness. Just after the hour mark the Canadian International picked up a pass from Mo Harkin only to see his shot scrambled clear by The Shrimpers defence. However, in the 79th minute Thompson got his name on the score sheet - taking the ball around the ex-Chesham 'keeper Darrell Flahavan after Peter Holsgrove had knocked the ball over the defence. By this time Assistant Manager Terry Gibson had taken the field for a rare outing in a Wycombe shirt and at 2-0 it should have been Wycombe's game.
However, it was the smallest man on the pitch, Roscoe Dsane, who headed Southend back into the game with nine minutes remaining - connecting with a Craig Edwards cross from the left. Then with three minutes left on the clock The Wanderers defence held off, allowing Edwards to strike home from 20 yards past Westhead.
Final Score Wycombe 2 Southend 2
Wycombe: Westhead, Townsend, Beeton, Rogers, Stewart, Castledine, Harkin, Holsgrove, Thompson, Richardson (sub 76 Gibson), Brady
subs not used Williams, Parsons, McCullagh
Yellow Card: Richardson (67 foul)
Reporting for Chairboys on the Net at Adams Park was Steve Maguire
Wycombe Wanderers
Reserve Team
Fixtures, results,
 match reports

Brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
online since 1995
Click here to buy games online - In assocaition with amazon.co.uk
Reserves Archive

All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet