Matchday Essentials Click here for the report index for current season
Shrewsbury Town - click here for quick guide to The Shews Shrewsbury Town 1 Wycombe Wanderers - click here for your Rough Guide to The Chairboys
Wycombe Wanderers 1
Saturday 27th August 2005
Football League 'League Two'
Kevin Betsy at Shrewsbury A goal conceeded five minutes from time cost Wycombe victory at Gay Meadow. Wanderers dominated possession for the vast majority of the game but only had a Nathan Tyson goal on 32 minutes to show for their efforts as the game drew to a conclusion. Thoughts of three points were dashed when Colin McMenamin beat Frank Talia in an aerial challenge to head home and despite Wycombe's protests, the goal stood. John Gorman stuck with the same starting XI who had beaten Swindon Town during the week in The Carling Cup. Injury victims Matt Bloomfield and Joe Burnell were forced to sit out again but both have made rapid recoveries and could feature in Wanderers Hoilday Monday meeting with Cheltenham Town at Adams Park. New signing Sergio Torres, who put pen to paper on a two year deal on Thursday and passed his medical on Friday morning, was an unused substitute.
Although Wycombe could boast the greater goal scoring chances over the 90 minutes, it was the home side who could have taken the lead within the opening five minutes. First Mike Williamson had to snick the ball away from the feet of Ben Smith and from the resulting corner McMenamin contrived to strike a close range shot against the post and former Wanderer Mark Stallard couldn't take advantage of the follow-up.
Wycombe then took control of the game - creating more than 20 goal scoring opportunities throughout the ninety minutes. The closer effort saw Kevin Betsy's long range effort on 12 minutes saved, while Tommy Mooney will be disappointed that a header a minute later went wide of the far post. It was some slick skills from Tyson out on the left wing that gave Wycombe lead - the Wycombe top scorer picked up a pass from Rob Lee before nutmegging Ben Herd and then sending his low left footed shot beating Shrews 'keeper Joe Hart in off the far post.
Ian Stonebridge at ShrewsburyWanderers searched for that crucial second goal and only a diving save from Hart kept out Mooney's 50th minute header at the near post following Clint Easton's cross from the left wing. Betsy saw an effort thwarted by Hart too but as the game progressed Wycombe lack ideas to break down the Shrews defence. Dixon's introduction on 70 minutes added to Wanderers pace on the right but again it was the final pass or shot that was lacking. The ultimate punishment came with five minutes of normal time remaining when Ben Herd's high ball in from the right saw Talia come out second best to a McMenamin challenge, leaving the Wycombe 'keeper reeling and Manager John Gorman fuming on the side lines. Wanderers remain unbeaten and in 5th place in the table after five games.
Final Score - Shrewsbury 1 Wycombe 1
Shrewsbury Manager Gary Peters was by far the happier of the two bosses after the game. Peters commented "You have to be happy with a point because they are a much better than us, there's not doubting that. They have unbelievable pace within the team and that's in all areas, and because they had so much pace we had to defend a whole lot deeper. We had to play deeper but it brought them onto us and we could hit them on the break, and we had some great chances." Shrewsbury's equaliser proved controversial in the Wycombe camp but Peters saw no problems and was critical of 'keeper Frank Talia, adding to the local media, "He's a big wuss. He should be disappointed with himself." But Peters concluded that Wanderers would be there or there abouts at the end of the season, "Wycombe are the best side we've played this season, even better than Brighton. They are going to be hard to stop this season, especially with the pace that they've got, but teams will score goals against them."
Wycombe Manager John Gorman commented on the equaliser when talking to BBC Three Counties Radio after the game, saying ""I was hoping for a foul but if I'm being totally honest I thought that Frank didn't get it away. He'd been magnficent but I just felt he should have done better on it, like their goalkeeper did at the end and just came and collected it. Frank has been so good, so we can't blame him because he's been maginificent." And commenting on the result, he added "It (the unbeaten run) continues but we come away disappointed. We go home knowing that we should have got maximum points."
Wycombe: Talia, Senda, Easton, Williamson, Johnson, Betsy, Oakes, Lee, Stonebridge, Tyson, Mooney (sub 70 Dixon) - subs not used: Williams, Nethercott, Anya, Torres
Bookings: none
Scorers: Tyson (32)
Shrewsbury: Hart, Herd, Walton, Hope, Sharp, Tolley, Sorvel, Hogg (sub 58 Denny), Smith (sub 51 Ashton), McMenamin, Stallard (sub 51 Langmead) - subs not used: Whitehead, Thompson
Bookings: Langmead (foul 90)
Scorers: McMenamin (85)
Referee: Mr N Swarbrick Attendance: Att:3,533 (away sections 423)
Interactive Stats
Match and players
All the Wycombe results, scorers, team line-ups and statistical breakdown of the current season - FULLY INTERACTIVE to your heart's content.
Latest Table and form Updated table with results archive of ALL Division Two games plus form guide and previous meeting between ALL clubs for the past four seasons.
Squad Info
Quick Links
Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Shrewsbury Town - click here for quick guide to The Shrews Quick Guide to The Shrews
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 27th August
All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Chairboys on the Net ( - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet