Matchday Essentials Click here for the report index for current season
Click here for Quick Guide Chester City 0 Click here for your Rough Guide to Wycombe Wanderers
Wycombe Wanderers 2
Tuesday 10th August 2004
Football League 'League Two'
Mike Williamson - scored opening goal at Chester Wanderers stormed to a 2-0 victory at a rain drenched Chester to make it two consecutive victories at the start of a Football League campaign for the first time for ten years. Mike Williamson headed Wycombe into the lead in the 23rd minute and substitute Danny Senda sealed the points with a looping header with six minutes remaning. The result came after Tony Adams stuck with the same XI that beat Cambridge United the previous Saturday. The main doubt had been Nathan Tyson but he recovered enough from his blow to his ribs to take part and team up again with Ian Stonebridge in the Wanderers front pairing.
A torrential downpour just prior to kick-off threatened to jeopodise the game. When the action started there was still a substantial amount of water on the surface making conditions near farcical. Adding to the water farce was an incident early on when Ian Stonebridge suffered a minor cut to his face. It resulted in some blood dripping on his shirt and under new League regulations blooded shirts have to be replaced. Embarassingly Wycombe had brought no spares and Stonebridge had to make do with Jonny Dixon's No.12 shirt.
It was Stonebridge who had gone close prior to his shirt change after Tyson put him in but Wayne Brown saved in the Chester goal. Wycombe adpated better to the conditions with City hardly testing Frank Talia and Daryl Clare going the closest when he shot over the bar in the 10th minute.
Wanderers' opening goal came when Clint Easton sent over a corner from the left deep to the far post and Williamson was there to convert with a powerful header. It was his first goal in a Wycombe shirt and his first ever in the Football League. He was suitably delighted and so were the travelling contingent from Wycombe.
Wycombe went close again from further Easton corners in the first half but on both occasions Stuart Nethercott headed wide of the target. Stonebridge saw a shot on the turn saved on the stroke of half-time as Wanderers continued to have the better of the play.
Half-time Chester 0 Wycombe 1
Stonebridge was in the action again nine minutes into the second period when he slid in to connect with Tyson's cross but the ball shot wide of the target. Moments later City Caretaker boss Ray Mathias made a double substitution as he tried to bring his side more into the game. It prompted the home side's best spell of the game, albeit a short one. Michael Branch headed the ball in the net just after the hour mark following a twice hit cross from the left by Stephen Vaughan but the flag was already raised for a marginal offside.
Tony Adams swapped Gus Uhlenbeek for Danny Senda moments later as Wycombe stepped back up a gear to claim more of the possession. Tyson lashed an effort over and shortly afterwards crossed for Stonebridge whose shot was deflected wide for a corner. Williamson saw a right footed effort blocked from the resulting corner before Wycombe wrapped up proceedings with six minutes remaining.
The goal came after a cross from the left flank by Stonebridge which Senda managed to flick on with his head at the near side of the six yard box and loop the ball in the back of the far corner of the net despite the attempt of Brown in the City goal to claw the effort away. There was no way back for Chester after this and Tyson almost made it 3-0 on 90 minutes but Brown was there to tip over. A very satisfying result for Wycombe (a first clean sheet for 16 League games) and one that will boost confidence following the wholesale changes to the squad during the summer.
Final Score - Chester 0 Wycombe 2
Wycombe: Talia, Silk, Johnson, Nethercott, Williamson, Uhlenbeek (sub 62 Senda), Burnell, Ryan, Easton, Stonebridge, Tyson - subs not used: Ahmed, Martin, Marshall, Williams
Bookings: Uhlenbeek (49 foul)
Scorers: Williamson (23), Senda (84)
Chester: Brown, Bolland, Collins, Edmondson (sub 55 Carden), Baghan, Drummond, Harris, Davies (sub 55 Rapley), Ellison, Clare, Branch - subs not used: MacKenzie, Hope, Belle
Bookings: Bolland (foul 34), Drummond (foul 83)
Scorers: none
Referee: Eddie Illderton Attendance: 2,881 (away 162)
Interactive Stats
Match and players
All the Wycombe results, scorers, team line-ups and statistical breakdown of the current season - FULLY INTERACTIVE to your heart's content.
Latest Table and form Updated table with results archive of ALL Division Two games plus form guide and previous meeting between ALL clubs for the past four seasons.
Squad Info
Quick Links
Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here for Quick Guide Quick Guide to The Blues
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 10th August
All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Chairboys on the Net ( - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet