Matchday Essentials Click here for the latest match previews and reports
Click here for your Rough Guide to Wycombe Wanderers Wycombe Wanderers 2 Click here for Quick Guide
Colchester United 3
Tuesday 9th December 2003
LDV Vans Trophy 3rd Round
LDV Vans Trophy Wanderers conceded yet another late goal, this time in the 5th minute of stoppage time in extra-time, as Colchester United went away with the narrowest of victories in what eventually turned out to be an exciting cup tie.
Wanderers twice come from behind to send the tie into extra-time and went close to pulling off what would have been a remarkable victory considering the limited experience of the side on show. Tony Adams made six changes to the starting line-up compared to Friday evening's FA Cup game with Mansfield, including giving a First Team debut to 18 year old Second Year Scholar Andy Reilly who replaced Chris Vinnicombe who had taken a knock on his ankle against Mansfield. By contrast the visitors fielded an unchanged line-up to the one that had got past Aldershot Town in the FA Cup the previous Saturday.
For Wanderers there was also a surprise return to the side for Michael Simpson following his recent injury but Simo was at fault for the visitors opening goal after 8 minutes when he gave the ball away in his own penalty area for Scott McGleish to shoot home following a low ball in from the right by Sam Stockley. However, Wanderers levelled on 21 minutes when Darren Currie's corner from the left saw Andy Thomson squeeze a header under the body of U's 'keeper Simon Brown.
It what proved to be the only other significant action during a very tame first-half, it was Colchester who regained on 39 minutes when Gavin Johnson's corner from the left saw McGleish direct a header past the Wycombe defence from the near corner of the six yard box.
Half-time Wycombe 1 Colchester 2
Roger Johnson gets in a header against Colchester Former Chesham United forward Wayne Andrews went close with a low shot from the left shortly after the re-start but it was after the introduction of Craig Faulconbridge for Stuart Roberts that Wanderers began to look a more effective side coming forward.
Jermaine McSporran's run down the right flank on 69 minutes saw Gavin Johnson booked for his assualt on the Wycombe player. The resulting free-kick was curled in by Currie saw Roger Johnson head home to level the scores. Wycombe then went on to create the better chances to have won the game in normal time with Currie going the closest on 80 minutes when he fired into the side netting from the left after the Colchester defence began to look as shakey as Wycombe's.
90 minutes Wycombe 2 Colchester 2
The teams prepare for extra-time
Four minutes into extra-time a Currie corner from the right saw Johnson's volley bring the best from Simon Brown as he tipped the ball away. Currie delivered the corner again and this time Thomson's knock-back at the far post saw Johnson go close with a header.
Left-back Andy Reilly saw plenty of thr ball during the extra period and his curling ball in from the wing on 98 minutes saw Craig Faulconbridge head just over the Valley End crossbar as the sparse but enthusiastic home crowd urged Wanderers to snatch a 'silver goal' winner.
However, after a major delay during the second-half of extra-time when Bobby Bowry was carried off with what appeared to some sort neck injury, Wanderers lost their momentum and it was Bowry's replacement, Jermaine Brown who fired in Sam Stockley's cross from the right that provided another cruel blow for Wycombe. Ian Simpemba went close to sending the tie to penalties with a header in the eighth and final minute of stoppage time but once again this was not Wanderers night.
Speaking to the press after the game Tony Adams commented "I was trying to win a football game with the squad that I've been dealt but, unfortunately, it hasn't happened again. Short of going out there myself, there's not much we can do about giving away these silly goals but we'll go back and work in training to try and get some people who want to head the ball away."
Final Score - Wycombe 2 Colchester 3 - After extra-time
Wycombe: Williams, Rogers, Reilly, Johnson, Thomson, Simpson, Currie, Simpemba, Roberts (sub 62 Faulconbridge), McSporran, Holligan (sub HT Mapes) - subs not used: Philo, Hole, Talia
Bookings: Johnson (foul 8), Rogers (foul 12), Simpemba (foul 90)
Scorers: Thomson (21), Johnson (39)
Colchester: S Brown, Stockley, White, Chilvers, Myers, Johnson (sub 91 Bowry [sub 118 J Brown]), Izzet, Duguid, Vine, Andrews (sub 85 Keith), McGleish - subs not used: McKinney, Halford
Bookings: Johnson (foul 68)
Scorers: McGliesh (8, 39), J Brown (125)
Referee: Mr Mark Cowburn Attendance: Att:1,873 (away end 326)
Interactive Stats
Match and players
All the Wycombe results, scorers, team line-ups and statistical breakdown of the current season - FULLY INTERACTIVE to your heart's content.
Latest Table and form Updated table with results archive of ALL Division Two games plus form guide and previous meeting between ALL clubs for the past four seasons.
Squad Info
Quick Links
Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here for Quick Guide Quick Guide to The U's
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 9th December
All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 Chairboys on the Net ( - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet