Matchday Essentials 2002-2003 Click here for the latest match previews and reports
Click here for your Rough Guide to Wycombe Wanderers Wycombe Wanderers 1 Click here for Quick Guide
Cheltenham Town 1
Saturday 19th April 2003
Football League Division Two
Brownie celebrates his goal
Steve Brown celebrates his goal versus Cheltenham but Wanderers couldn't hold onto the lead.[player profiles ]
Wanderers conceded yet another late goal as they drew 1-1 with relegation threatened Cheltenham Town on Saturday at Adams Park. Wycombe now have 50 points with three games to play. It will probably already be enough to ensure against being sucked into the relegation zone but the ease all those worries against Cheltenham was sadly missed.
Lawrie Sanchez was forced to make one change from the side that lost at Tranmere the previous week - the injured Mark Rogers being replaced by Andy Thomson. Wycombe started the game like a house on fire and when Steve Brown converted a 5th minute penalty after Keith Ryan had been fouled, it looked like it would be plain sailing.
The penalty award came after Ryan had run down the left flank and was clipped by Michael Duff as he reached the bye-line. Referee Steve Bennett had no hestitation in pointing to the spot and Brown strode up to dispatch the ball into the left hand corner of the net for his fifth successful spot kick of the season. Brownie had clearly been waiting for a goal as it gave him the chance to reveal his No.30 vest. Bennett sent him off for similar antics at Filbert Street in March 2001 but some common sense rule changes have been applied since then.
Rhino gets a header inThe goal gave everybody a buzz and minute later a deft flick by Darren Currie down the right wing saw Danny Senda force a corner. Michael Simpson delivered the ball to the far side and after seeing Ryan's headed blocked Roger Johnson had his follow up cleared off the line.
Ryan was to go close again on 19 minutes when Jonny Dixon laided the ball through from midfield but Town 'keeper Shane Higgs got down to his right to save.
At the other end the visitors gradually began to take advantage of Wanderers inconsistent ball control in midfield. However, Cheltenham's shooting was woeful and it still wasn't until the 40th minute when Frank Talia had a serious save to make - leaping to tip over a 20 yard effort by Marvin Brown.
Half-time Wycombe 1 Cheltenham 0
Town went on to continue their poor finishing in the second-half, the best example coming on 50 minutes when Brown blasted high of virtually an open goal after Grant McCann's header had come back off the cross bar. In an effort to block the gaps at the back Sanchez reverted to a 5-3-2 formation for the final 30 minutes - giving Luke Oliver his Football League debut in the centre of defence with Darren Currie the sacrificed player in midfield.
But it seemed that Wycombe simply just sat back in an effort to hold onto what they had. On 74 minutes former Wanderers triallist Damien Spencer almost got the vital touch when he was left with his back to goal following a ball in from the left. Two minutes later Jamie Victory got past Thomson down the same side before shooting straight at Talia.
Wanderers best chance to increase the lead and seal the game had come earlier in the 56th minute when Dixon raced in from the right but his shot from the angle was saved. Dixon and Brown were later replaced by Stuart Roberts and Richard Harris. It was Harris who also went close on a rare Wanderers attack in the 88th minute but his shot on the run from the left side of goal was parried and Roberts was unable to pick up the rebound on the opposite side.
A minute later Wycombe paid the price for not wrapping the game when Tony Naylor struck home after a low cross from the left wasn't dealt with. It could have been even worse a minute later when another Cheltenham effort grazed the outside of Frank Talia's right-hand upright and it was Wycombe who were the happier side to hear the final whistle.
Final Score Wycombe 1 Cheltenham 1
Rhino wins the penalty Bennett points to the spot
Brownie scores

Wycombe: Talia, Senda, Vinnicombe, Thomson, Johnson, Simpson, Currie (sub 59 Oliver), Bulman, Brown (sub 77 Roberts), Ryan, Dixon (sub 77 Harris) - subs not used: Cook, Simpemba
Yellow Cards: none
Cheltenham: Higgs, Bird, Victory, Shane Duff, Mike Duff, Devaney (sub 73 Naylor), Yates, McCann, Finnigan, Brown (sub 85 Milton), Brough (sub 58 Spencer) - subs not used Griffin, Jones
Yellow Cards: McCann (not retreating 56), Finnigan (foul 77)
Referee: Steve Bennett Attendance: 6,070 (away end 730)
Interactive Stats
Match and players
All the Wycombe results, scorers, team line-ups and statistical breakdown of the current season - FULLY INTERACTIVE to your heart's content.
Latest Table and form Updated table with results archive of ALL Division Two games plus form guide and previous meeting between ALL clubs for the past four seasons.
Squad Info
Quick Links

Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Click here for Quick Guide Quick Guide to The Robins
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 19th April
All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 Chairboys on the Net ( - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet