Matchday Essentials 2002-2003 Click here for the latest match previews and reports
Click here for Quick Guide Cheltenham Town 1 Click here for your Rough Guide to Wycombe Wanderers
Wycombe Wanderers 2
Tuesday 12th November 2002
LDV Vans Trophy - 2nd Round
Lewis Cook
Lewis Cook is mobbed by his team mates after scoring the Golden Goal winner at Cheltenham.
A Golden Goal winner from Wanderers Youth Teamer Lewis Cook nudged Wycombe into the area quarter-finals of the LDV Vans Trophy at Cheltenham Town on Tuesday evening. Cook struck nine minutes into the additional period after the home side had snatched a stoppage equaliser through Richard Forsyth. In a fairly dour game, Wycombe looked like they had won the game in the normal time when Dannie Bulman's 20 yard effort on 79 minutes swerved past Shane Higgs in the Town goal.
Until then goal mouth action had been limited but the tie could have gone either way. Forsyth's last ditch header returned the upper hand to the home side but Wycombe came out flying in extra-time and when Bulman sent Cook away down the left, the youngster cut into the penalty area before sending a shot under the dive of Higgs. Cook immediatlely stripped of his shirt and ran towards the travelling fans before being mobbed by his team mates.
A sour point from Wycombe's point of view was the seven bookings dished out by referee Grant Hegley. Wanderers are now set to receive an automatic 2,500 fine from the FA for breach of disciplinary regulations.
Lawrie Sanchez made four changes to the side that had drawn at Huddersfield at the weekend. Martin Taylor returned in goal instead of Martin Taylor, Darren Currie and Lewis Cook were favoured in midfield over Keith Ryan and Steve Brown, while Richard Harris was given his first start in a Wycombe shirt since the final game of last season.
It was the home side that started the more lively, forcing a corner on the right in the opening few minutes with Paul Brayson looking particularly useful on the ball. However, Wanderers should have been ahead on 6 minutes when Currie was presented with a chance on a plate on the right edge of the six yard box. The ball had been worked low across from the left but with a goal looking a certain outcome, 'Ruby' hit a weak shot straight at the 'keeper.
The first of nine yellow cards of the evening came on 20 minutes when Andy Thomson challenged Richard Forsyth from behind. Currie also entered the book later in the half when he blatantly handled a through ball and then argued his case.
Meanwhile any significant action was few and far between. A shot on the run by Martin Devaney from the right channel flashed just wide of Taylor's post on 32 minutes while four minutes later Michael Simpson layed a free-kick off to Currie but the final effort finished off target.
Another nasty tackle on 37 minutes saw John Brough booked for taking out Harris by the far left corner flag before the half finished with a flurry of action. On 40 minutes Grant McCann saw 25 yard free kick tipped wide by Taylor and Michael Duff shot just wide after the resulting corner was cleared.
A minute before the break a beautiful pass by Cook from the left picked out Currie lurking on the opposite edge of the Cheltenham penalty area; Currie flashed in a shot but Higgs managed to push the ball away at the far post.
Half-time 0-0
The second-half was real scrappy affair with Cheltenham enjoying slightly more of the play but Wycombe creating the better chances. Wanderers also added to their booking tally starting on 57 minutes when Damien Spencer got the better of Paul McCarthy just inside the Wycombe half. Spencer, who was on trial at Wycombe at the end of last season, was pulled back by 'Macca' but a only a yellow card was issue because it wasn't adjudged a clear goal scoring opportunity.
A few minutes later 'Macca' was injured during a challenge on the edge of his own penalty area and was replaced by Mark Rogers after signalling to the bench that he wasn't fit to continue.
Either side could have won the tie in the closing twenty minutes of normal time. Neil Howarth saw a 30 yard bullet pushed away by Taylor then on 72 minutes Cook latched onto a long clearance down the right channel but saw his low shot to the near post blocked.
Wycombe had now stepped up their pace and on 76 minutes Currie played a delightful through ball to Craig Faulconbridge just right of centre but again the final shot was blocked. Andy Thomson then saw his header at the far post saved following a right wing corner by Simpson.
Wycombe finally got the breakthrough on 79 minutes when Chris Vinnicombe's delivery down the left was flicked on by Faulconbridge to Harris. The resulting ball in fell to Bulman at some distance from goal. Bulman then then took a few paces forward and then whipped in a shot that appeared to swerve or deflect viciously and wrong foot Higgs in the Town goal.
The goal should have been enough to see Wycombe through but as the game entered stoppage time Brayson's cross from the right was met by the diving head of Forsyth and despite the efforts of Taylor the ball crept over the line.
90 minutes 1-1
Lewis Cook has his shirt returned by Mark Rogers It would have been easy for Wycombe to collapse at this point but they stuck to their task and Cook got his reward for 90 plus minutes of non-stop running by picking up Bulman's ball out ot the left, cutting inside and then shooting the ball under the dive of Higgs. It was his first ever senior goal and he celebrated in style in front of the travelling contingent from Wycombe along with his team-mates.
Wycombe now go into the area Quarter-Finals to be played in the week commencing 9th December.
Full-time Cheltenham 1 Wycombe 2
Wycombe: Taylor, Vinnicombe, Senda, McCarthy (sub 63 Rogers), Thomson, Currie, Bulman, Simpson, Cook, Faulconbridge, Harris; subs not used: Ryan, Brown, Rammell, Talia
Yellow Cards: Thomson (foul 20), Currie (handball 38), McCarthy (foul 57), Rogers (foul 78), Simpson (dissent 84), Harris (persistant foul play 92), Faulconbridge (97 dissent)
Cheltenham: Higgs, Howarth, Brough, M.Duff, McCann; Devaney, Yates, Forsyth, McAuley (sub 80 Milton), Spencer (sub 85 Alsop), Brayson; subs not used: Book, Griffin, Williams
Yellow Cards: Worthington (foul 27), Stead (foul 51), Thorrington (foul 70), Sharp (foul 82)
Referee: Grant Hegley (Herts) Attendance: 1,740 (197 Wycombe)
Interactive Stats
Match and players
All the Wycombe results, scorers, team line-ups and statistical breakdown of the current season - FULLY INTERACTIVE to your heart's content.
Latest Table and form Updated table with results archive of ALL Division Two games plus form guide and previous meeting between ALL clubs for the past four seasons.
Squad Info
Quick Links

Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Click here for Quick Guide Quick Guide to The Robins
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 12th November
All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000, 2001, 2002
Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet