Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 
Brentford - Click here for Quick Guide to The Bees Brentford 0 Wycombe Wanderers - click here for your Rough Guide to The Chairboys
Wycombe Wanderers 0
Saturday 2nd September 2000
Nationwide Football League Division Two
Steve Jones injured at Brentford - picture Paul DennisWycombe returned from Griffin Park with the highly predictable goalless draw but it could have been three points instead of one if Steve Brown had converted a 48th minute penalty. Taking his third spot-kick in the five League games this season, 'Brownie' choose the same side as his previous two attempts but this time a weakly hit shot was saved with ease by Brentford 'keeper Plafur Gottskalksson. There was another set-back for Wycombe on 25 minutes when Steve Jones limped off complaining of a pain in his foot when shooting. Wycombe seemed to lose their way without Jones. The Bristol City loanee came close to giving Wycombe the lead within the opening 45 seconds when he latched onto a Michael Simpson through ball but his fierce drive was blocked by Gottskalksson.
Wycombe started the game with the same line-up as for the Luton game on Bank Holiday Monday - Mo Harkin still missing due to International duty with Northern Ireland Under 21 side. Wycombe cast-off Martin Rowlands was also missing for the home side for the same reason and after Jones' early effort they responded when Simon Marsh's corner from the right was headed onto the Wycombe woodwork by Ivar Ingimarsson, who was lurking at the far post.
A sometimes niggly game saw four Brentford players booked. Jean Phillipe Javary picked up a yellow card as early as the third minute for a late challenge on Mark Rogers, while five minutes later the same player clattered into Simpson and was lucky to escape without a walk down the tunnel.
After being mauled 6-2 at home by Bristol Rovers in their Bank Holiday fixture, Brentford where there for the taking but once again Wycombe struggled to find that vital final touch in front of goal.
Ex-Brentford boy Jamie Bates stabbed a shot goalwards on 20 minutes but it was deflected for a corner while two minutes later Jermaine McSporran powered down the right but was forced wide for a corner.
Brentford had chances through a long range effort from Lorenzo Pinamonte after Dannie Bulman had lost out on the left side but Wycombe finished the half the stronger side. In the 38th minute Chris Vinnicombe spread a delightful cross field pass to McSporran but Brentford forced the ball out for yet another Wycombe corner as Baird closed in.
As half-time approached Andy Baird look to be hauled back as he crossed the half-way line but amazingly referee Paul Danson gave the home side the free-kick.
Half-time 0-0
Wycombe's penalty came when Danny Senda was pulled back by Birmingham City loan right back Simon Marsh just as the Wycombe substitute entered the right corner of the Brentford penalty area. But Brown couldn't convert the gift and from that point on the game was destined for 0-0.
Brentford's best spell followed the missed penalty when they forced three corners in quick succession but the Wycombe defence held strong marshalled by the central figures of Bates and McCarthy.
At the other end McSporran pulled a shot wide while Brown saw a free-kick palmed away as the players and the Brentford fans open to the elements were treated to a brief downpour.
The final chance for Wycombe to snatch their first ever League victory at Griffin Park came on 75 minutes when McSporran's cross from the right found Senda in space but his first touch let him down and it was off down the bookies to collect some easy money - if only!
Full time Brentford 0 Wycombe 0
Wycombe: Taylor, Rogers, Vinnicombe, Bates, McCarthy, Brown, Bulman, Simpson, Jones (sub 25 Senda), Baird, McSporran
subs not used: Castledine, Cousins, Lee, Brady
Brentford: : Gottskalksson, Ingimarsson, Quinn, Marshall, Evans, Mahon, Scott, Marsh (sub 72 Folan), Pinamonte (sub 72 Partridge), McCammon, Javary 
subs not used: Smith, Dobson, Kennedy
Yellow Cards: Javary (3), Marsh (36), Marshall (69), Quinn (78)
Referee: Paul Danson Attendance: 4,699 (999 Wycombe)
Chairboys Stat File
Sat 2nd Sep 2000

Division Two
Played 5
Won 2
Drew 3
Lost 0
Goals For 4
Goals Against 2
Position 3rd

Top Scorers
Steve Brown 2
Andy Baird 1
Dannie Bulman 1
Recent Games
Mon 28th Aug 2000
Division Two
Wycombe 1
Luton 1

26th Aug 2000
Division Two
Millwall 1
Wycombe 2

22nd Aug 2000
Worthington Cup

Barnet 2
Wycombe 1
Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive
(over 200 reports!)
2000/2001 - current season

This time it was easy

1998/1999 - The ultimate survival battle ending at Lincoln

1997/1998 - Wanderers survive again

1996/1997 - Another survival battle

Brentford - Click here for Quick Guide to The Bees Quick Guide to The Bees
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 2nd September

All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet