Bristol Rovers 2
Wycombe Wanderers 0
Tuesday 6th October 2015
Football League Trophy 2nd Round

Wanderers dropped out of the Football League Trophy at Bristol Rovers - losing 2-0 after conceeding twice in the opening 11 minutes. Former Wanderer Jermaine Easter netted Rovers second goal on a night to forget in the first meeting between the two sides since the West Country's side seemingly crucial win at Adams Park in April 2014.

Gareth Ainsworth made five changes to the starting XI that had lost to Northampton the previous weekend - Ryan Sellers, Jason Banton, Matt Bloomfield, Sam Wood and Max Kretzschmar coming in for Joe Jacobson, Garry Thompson, Luke O'Nein, Gozie Ugwu and the suspended Marcus Bean.

Matty Taylor opened the scoring for the home side on 4 minutes when he curled the ball home from 18 yards after cutting inside the Wycombe defence down the left channel following a clearance deep in the Rovers half. Aaron Pierre went close for Wycombe minutes later when his header struck the Rovers crossbar and Matt Bloomfield saw the follow-up blocked. But former Easter doubled Rovers' lead seven minutes later when he smashed the ball home from the right corner of the six yard box after Sido Jombati failed to cut-out Billy Bodin's low through ball. Easter, who scored 28 goals for Wanderers in a two year spell under John Gorman and Paul Lambert, gave a cheeky wave to the travelling fans after netting his 4th goal of the season for Rovers - a club he joined in January 2015 following previous spells with Crystal Palace and Millwall.

The 123 Wycombe fans who had made the journey probably didn't see the funny side of Easter's wave and there was little to cheer about in a tie where Wanderers rarely looked like making game of it. Wycombe's best chance came on 24 minutes when Kretzschmar shot a foot wide of the left-hand post following Aaron Amadi-Holloway run through from midfield. However, Wycombe faded badly at the start of the second period and conceeded more. There were a few flashes of inspiration, including another mazey run from Amadi-Holloway, but Wycombe were generally a well beaten side.
Full-time - Bristol Rovers 2 Wycombe 0
Wycombe: Ingram, Rowe, Wood, Jombati, Pierre, Banton, Bloomfield, McGinn, Sellers (sub 72 OíNien), Kretzschmar (sub 88 Jacobson), Amadi-Holloway (sub 88 Thompson) - subs not used: Lynch, Ugwu
Scorers: none
Bookings: none
Bristol Rovers: Nicholls, Leadbitter, Brown, McChrystal, Parkes, Montano (sub 90 Little), Lines, Sinclair (sub 73 Clarke), Bodin, Taylor, Easter (sub 88 Blissett) - subs not used: Mildenhall, Kilgour
Scorers: Taylor 4, Easter 11
Bookings: none
Referee: Mr Oliver Langford Attendance: 3,243 (away 123)

Gareth AinsworthSpeaking after the game, Wanderers Manager Gareth Ainsworth told the press: "Bristol were the better side tonight and we were awful. We gifted them two goals early on but they could have scored a few more in the second half. There were a lot of chances at both ends tonight and we didnít put any of ours in, so they deservedly went through to the next round. We tried a couple of things tonight and there is plenty to work on. We know what we need to do and we will be working on that over the next ten days until our next game." Wycombe were scheduled to play Rovers in a League game at The Memorial Ground on the Saturday following this tie but Rovers opted to have the game postponed after three of their players were called-up for International duty. Ainsworth was not unhappy with the break his players would get: "That break is good for us. We can get away from it for a little bit which is good mentally for us as well and we will be working heavily on keeping teams out because we have let some soft goals in during the last two games." Wanderers are due to travel to Stevenage on Saturday 17th October, followed by the visit of bottom of the table Newport County on Tuesday 20th October.

All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet