Wycombe Wanderers 1
Bristol Rovers 2
Saturday 26th April 2014
Football League Two

Battle of the head bands between Aaron Pierre and former Wanderer Matt Harrold Wanderers are favourites for relegation from the Football League after a 2-1 home defeat to Bristol Rovers. Only victory at Torquay United on the last day of the season and defeat for either Rovers or Northampton (who won 3-0 at Dagenham) will save Wycombe from the drop.

Against a side with just one away League win all season, Wanderers got off to the another bad start, conceeding from a free-kick on 11 minutes when Lee Brown curled the ball home past Matt Ingram from around 20 yards. But like the recent game with Northampton, Wycombe hit back when Matt McClure hit a sensational back-heeled equaliser from Sam Wood's cross. It was Wycombe who then went to have slightly more of the possession and chances and look the team more likely to get the crucial goal - albeit during a game that was broken up by regular treatment to the head of Aaron Pierre. The loanee sported at least two head bandages during the match, with former Wanderer Matt Harrold also requiring similar treatment before he was substitued with twenty minutes remaining,
Aaron Pierre battles for header during the second half
It was a cruel twist of fate, on 71 minutes, that proceeded the winning goal. Rovers 'keeper Steve Mildenhall dropped the ball under a Matt McClure challenge but Josh Scowen was unable to get to the loose ball before Steven Craig headed just wide from a Danny Rowe centre. Five minutes later at the other end, McClure misdirected an attempted headed clearance into the path of David Clarkson, who made no mistake from close range and sent the visiting fans into hysteria.
Rovers fans celebrate the goal that looked to have saved them from the drop while condeming Wycombe to Conference football
It was literally Rovers only serious effort at goal throughout the second period. But the goal proved the killer blow for Wanderers who offered no response on a hugely disappointing day for the Wanderers who now look like heading back to the Conference after 21 seasons in the Football League.
Full-time - Wycombe 1 Bristol Rovers 2
Wycombe: Ingram, Rowe, Wood, Stewart, Pierre, Bloomfield, Lewis, Scowen, Kretzschmar (sub 83 Morias), McClure, Craig (sub 83 Styche) - subs not used: Horlock, McCoy, Arnold, Johnson, Kuffour
Scorers: McClure 20
Bookings: none
Bristol Rovers: Mildenhall, Lockyer, Brown, Parks, McChrystal, Broghammer (sub 53 Gillespie), Clucas, O’Toole (sub 87 Clarke), Mohamed, Harrold (sub 70 Beardsley), Clarkson - subs not used: Gough, Harding, Santos, Keary
Scorers: Brown 11, Clarkson 76
Bookings: Clucas 75
Referee: Mr David Coote Attendance: 6,752 (2300 away)

Post match reaction:
Gareth Ainsworth The result tipped some Wanderers fans over the edge, with some chanting 'We want Ainsworth out', but the Wycombe boss said he understood their feelings saying, "It's fine. I'm big enough to take that. They have got a right to say whatever they want. It's a small group shouting for my head and that's going to happen in football. I'm not naive enough to think that won't happen." Ainsworth added, "The majority of fans were behind the team today and that's important. Say what you want to me but get behind the team because they are really working hard and they are gutted in there. They have given their all. I don't want to concentrate on myself or my position, it's about those in there and I'm devastated for them. They are a young group and they don't deserve to be where they are, but we've got to put the chances in the back of the net. Next week we've got to make sure we do our job at Torquay and rely on somebody else to get us out of jail."

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet