Wycombe Wanderers 0
Wimbledon 3
Saturday 4th January 2014
Football League Two

Anthony Stewart - sent off versus Wimbledon Wanderers dropped to 19th place in the League Two table after a catastrophic second-half performance saw them lose 3-0 at home Wimbledon. After an even opening 45 minutes where Wycombe created a number of openings but without the vital finishing touch, the second period proved a disaster for Gareth Ainsworth's side. The visitors came out on fire and went ahead in the 52nd minute when a disputed free-kick from the right was met at the opposite side of the box by the head of debutant Charlie Wyke, with the ball bouncing down and looping in off the far post past Matt Ingram. Despite Ainsworth bringing on Matt McClure and Steven Craig for Jo Kuffour and Billy Knott, Wanderers failed to create any efforts on goal and The Dons doubled their lead on 76 minutes when Wyke set up Sammy Moore on the edge of the box to fire past Ingram. The day got for worst for Wanderers on 82 minutes when Anthony Stewart bought down Kevin Saint-Luce on the right side of the box to conceded a penalty and also find himself red-carded for a second bookable offence. Jack Midson sent Ingram the wrong way from the spot to complete a victory for a Wimbledon side that had scored just once in their previous five games. The only blot on Wimbledon's day came in the final minute of normal time when defender Jim Fenlon was given a straight red card for a dangerous two footed lunge at Josh Scowen. For Wanderers it is very much back to the drawing board before the following Saturday's visit to 9th placed Morecambe
Full-time - Wycombe 0 Wimbledon 3
Wycombe: Ingram, Arnold, McCoy (sub 80 Morias), Johnson, Stewart, Scowen, Lewis, Cowan-Hall, Knott (sub 66 Craig), Wood; Kuffour (sub 61 McClure) - subs not used:Horlock (GK), Bloomfield, Kretzschmar, Doherty
Scorers: none
Bookings: Lewis 57, Stewart 76, Stewart (red card, second bookable offence) 81
Wimbledon: Worner, Antwi, Bennett, Frampton, Fuller, S Moore, Pell, L Moore, Fenlon, Wyke (sub 76 Sainte-Luce), Midson - subs not used:Brown (GK), Kennedy, Sheringham, Arthur, Porter
Scorers: Wyke 51, Moore 75, Midson 82 pen
Bookings: Bennett 41, Antwi 50, Fenlon (red card) 90
Referee: Mr D Phillips Attendance: 3,513 (away 701)

Post match reaction:
Gareth Ainsworth Commenting after the game, Gareth Ainsworth said, "I'm very disappointed. It's probably the worst home performance I've had under my tenure, and I don't want things like that to happen again. As good as we were first half, we didn't score. We had a lot of possession, played some good football, but didn't stick it in the net. In the second half they started well, right from the kick off they got a shot on goal, and we never recovered from there. There was no change at all from the end of the first half where we were absolutely bossing it, to the start of the second half where we just capitulated. It's one of those things we have to work on. We'll be in all week working on what needs to be put right - the passion, the desire, and the drive just didn't seem to be there that second half."

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet