Grimsby Town 2
Wycombe Wanderers 2
Monday 9th April 2007
Football League Two

Wanderers dropped out of the play-off places after throwing away a two goal lead to draw 2-2 at Grimsby Town on Easter Monday. Two first half goals in the space of three first-half minutes from Scott McGleish and Jermaine Easter put Paul Lambert's side in the driving sea. But goals in the final 20 minutes from Gary Jones and Paul Bolland levelled matters for The Mariners. Wanderers have now been overtaken by Shrewsbury Town in the play-off race and their next three games are all against promotion chasing sides.

The disappointment at Blundell Park came after Lambert rested striker Tommy Mooney but that news was put to one side after Wanderers were gifted an opener on 22 minutes when Nick Fenton's backpass left home 'keeper Phil Barnes in trouble, whose clearance went straight to Anthony Grant and his effort was deflected to McGleish, who slotted home. Fenton was to blame again three minutes later after he lost possession to Easter who went on to convert past Barnes for 2-0.

The match seemed to heading for a comfortable Wycombe victory until the 71st minute when Stefan Oakes lost possession inside his own box to Jones. The striker took the ball on and slipped a shot past Wycombe 'keeper Ricardo Batista. The home side continued to pressure a nervous looking Wanderers and it paid off in spectacular style with just seven minutes of the match left. Wanderers failed to clear another Grimsby corner and Paul Bolland smashed home into the back of the Wycombe net to delight the locals.

Final Score - Grimsby 2 Wycombe 2
Wycombe: Batista, Martin, Golbourne, Crooks, Stockley, Oakes, Grant (sub 75 Ainsworth), Palmer (sub 67 Torres), Bloomfield, Easter (sub 80 Onibuje), McGieish subs not used: Young, Pettigrew
Scorers: McGleish 22, Easter 25
Bookings: Grant 43, Oakes 79
Grimsby: Barnes, Boshell (sub 65 Bore), Newey, Whittle, Fenton, Bolland, McDermott (sub 60 Bennett), Whittle, Fenton, Bolland, McDermott (sub 60 Bennett), Till. Hunt (sub 27 Jones), North, Toner subs not used: Murray, Croft
Scorers: Jones 71, Bolland 83
Bookings: Grant 43, Oakes 79
Referee: ? Attendance: 4,271 (169 away)
Speaking after the game, Wycombe Manager Paul Lambert said: "I am feeling sick. It is like a defeat. We should never have lost that game. We had the game so comfortable that it was frightening. The other results have not gone for us and we have to keep going. We have to win on Saturday now. There is no point in feeling sorry for ourselves. We have got to go again. We got off to a perfect start, we got out of the blocks really well and dominated the game in the first half and got the two goals which were well deserved."

Lambert went on to bemoan the loss of key players following the League Cup Semi-Final defeat to Chelsea in January - injuries to Will Antwi and Mike Williamson, plus the sale of Kevin Betsy and Aston Villa's decision to recall Steven O'Halloran from loan, being key factors. "I still maintain that if we still had everyone up and running we might even have been promoted by now or not far from it. They were all lads that got us some success and it is a massive chunk to be without." But he added: "We can't feel sorry for ourselves because football waits for nobody. We've got to go for it. We can still do it. If we can take eight points from our last four games I don't think we will be far away. There is no point in playing with any trepidation or fear. We have got to go and express ourselves. It is like cup football now."

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet