Matchday Essentials 2001-2002 Click here for the latest match previews and reports
Click here for your Rough Guide to Wycombe Wanderers Wycombe Wanderers 1 Click here for Quick Guide
Brentford 0
Wednesday 17th October 2001
LDV Vans Trophy First Round
LDV Trophy A Paul Emblen goal on 69 minutes was enough to see Wycombe through to the Second Round of the LDV Vans Trophy where they will travel to Brighton. Emblen was one of eight changes in the Wanderers' line-up from Saturday's 1-1 draw with Bournemouth. Only Mark Rogers, Danny Senda and Jermaine McSporran retained their places as Lawrie Sanchez used the game to give a run-out to his squad members. Meanwhile, the Division Two leaders made just three changes to the line-up that had beaten Peterborough on Saturday.
The winning goal was a well worked affair that started deep in Wycombe's own half. Gavin Holligan found Dave Carroll on the edge of the centre circle and the Wycombe legend sprayed the ball out to the left where Martyn Lee picked up play before curling the ball to the opposite wing for Danny Senda. Senda then pushed the ball into the near post where Emblen's cheeky flick and shot on the turn gave Paul Smith in The Bees goal no chance.
In the end it was a comfortable victory although Mark Osborn, making his first competitive First Team appearance for two years, made a fine reflex save from Lloyd Owusu in the first half to deny last season's finalists and was called upon with ten minutes remaining to push away Stephen Hunt's effort.
The sparse crowd saw an even first half where Wycombe's best chances fell to Martyn Lee. In the 12th minute he was pushed over by Hunt just inches outside the right edge of the Brentford penalty area. Lee got up to take the kick himself but his drive was blocked. At the other end Ben Burgess pulled an effort wid of Osborn's left hand post on 18 minutes and three minutes later Kevin O'Connor saw his shot deflected wide after Hunt had provided.
Osborn's save from Owusu in the 22nd minute was the stop of the match and prompted a good spell from Wycombe. On the half hour mark a long range effort from Lee was spilled by Paul Smith in The Bees' goal and Wycombe won an indirect free-kick for obstructive on Emblen as The Wanderers player closed in on the loose ball. Dannie Bulman pushed the free-kick to Lee but Smith was quick off his line to push the ball wide with one hand.
Seven minutes before the break Dave Carroll showed he can still turn on the style when he weaved down the right wing before delivering a cross that Bulman hit first time but wide.
Half-time 0-0
Carroll continued to run the midfield two minutes into the second period and from his corner from the left Lee was able to pick his spot but Smith fingered tipped the shot onto the far upright. A minute later Lee tried to pick his spot from around twelve yards following Jermaine McSporran's low ball from the right but Smith was able to save.
Townsend's injury on 52 minutes meant that Wycombe had to re-organise. Roger Johnson came on as Wycombe converted to a back five and there was brief scare in the 63rd minute when Eddie Hutchinson was allowed too much space but he pulled his effort wide.
The winning goal on 69 minutes was a sweet piece of football to watch and placed Wycombe in firm control of the match. After Hunt had missed his chance to equalise Wycombe introduced Leeyon Phelan for a brief run and he was nearly on the scoresheet within a minute but slipped at the critical moment when sent clear from the halfway line. But there were no more chances for the visitors to take the game into extra-time and Wycombe played out the dying moments with ease.
The only downside of the evening was an injury to Ben Townsend. The young full-back slipped awkwardly on the rain drenched surface shortly after the break and had to leave the field on a stretcher. The official word after the game was that he had cracked his fibula and will be out for up to three months.
After the game Lawrie Sanchez commented "Iíve said all along the squad is smaller than last season but I believe itís stronger than itís ever been in my time here and that was shown tonight, there are now a lot of people pushing for places"
Final Score Wycombe 1 Brentford 0
Wycombe: Osborn, Senda, Rogers, Ryan, Townsend (sub 55 Johnson), Carroll, Bulman, Lee, McSporran, Emblen (sub 81 Phelan), Holligan
subs not used: Currie, Walker, Taylor
Yellow Cards: Townsend (foul 43)
Brentford: Smith, Anderson, Ingimarsson, Evans (sub 44 Smith), Owusu (sub 67 Gibbs), Hutchinson, O'Connor, Theobold, Hunt, Price, Burgess
subs not used: Gottskalksson, Powell, Williams
Yellow Cards: Hunt (foul 84)
Referee:Mr S Tomlin Attendance: 2,051 (Brentford 432)
Interactive Stats
Match and players
All the Wycombe results, scorers, team line-ups and statistical breakdown of the current season - FULLY INTERACTIVE to your heart's content.
Latest Table and form Updated table with results archive of ALL Division Two games plus form guide and previous meeting between ALL clubs for the past four seasons.
Squad Info
Quick Links

Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Click here for Quick Guide Quick Guide to The Bees
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 17th October
All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000, 2001
Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet