FA Youth Cup 3rd Round
Tuesday 3rd December 2002
The AXA sponsored FA Youth Cup
Matty Warner delivers a free-kick against TranmereWanderers Youth bowed out of the 2002/2003 FA Youth Cup campaign going down 3-2 to a strong Tranmere Rovers side at Adams Park. Wanderers held the Birkenhead side to 0-0 up until the interval but two goals in the opening ten minutes of the second period put the visitors in control. Rob Tungatt pulled a goal back for Wycombe on 65 minutes but a lack on concentration at the back let Rovers in again two minutes later to score again. Matty Warner's brilliant free-kick into the top right hand corner of the Rovers net on the stroke of 90 minutes set up a desperate search for an equaliser but it was not be.
A disappointing result for Wycombe but for those in attendance there was plenty of entertainment and encouraging signs that many of the players on show will have a future professional career in the game.
This game was always going to be a tough task for the Wanderers. Rovers, who play in the North West Conference of the Football League Alliance, came into the tie boasting an unbeaten League record which had seen them score 30 goals in 6 games. Wanderers, playing a back three with two wing-backs, were consequently made to work hard.
After Nathanial Griffiths had saw a shot on the turn saved with ease after 8 minutes the visitors began to dominate. Chris Dagnall shot wide from the right edge of the box on 20 minutes while five minutes later Tom Gott had to be alert to push the ball away as a cross came in from the left bye-line.
However, Wanderers survived and enjoyed a brief spell of pressure, forcing a few corners from which one, in the 31st minute, saw Stuart Hole unable to get a decent contact on to direct in at the far post.
At the other end Paul Martin's cross from the right saw Steven Jennings send a diving header wide of the target on 35 minutes and Gott was called into action again three minutes later when he did exceptionally well to tip away Dagnall's effort from the left corner of the penalty area for a corner. The Wanderers 'keeper was also out quick just moments before the break to block a break away down the middle as Wycombe frustrated the visitors once again.
Half-time 0-0
The breakthrough for Rovers came in the 49th minute when Neil Ashton was allowed too much space just to the right side of midfield and his 20 yard shot screamed into the top right hand corner of the Wycombe net.
The second goal on 55 minutes was a real killer blow for Wycombe. Stuart Hole unfortunately lost possesion in his own half allowing Rovers to break down their right wing. Substitute Paul Martin then spotted Gott off his line and chipped in to earn the celebrations from his team-mates.
Wanderers changed tactics following the goal bringing on Mark Boland as a striker for defender Stuart Hole. And on 65 minutes Wanderers were given a lifeline when Rob Tungatt fired home a loose ball in the penalty area after Warner's original free-kick from the right hadn't been dealt with by the Rovers defence.
Matty Warner's last minute free-kick ends in the back of the netHowever, any chance of an immediate comeback were dashed two minutes later when Thomas Carroll managed to squeeze the ball in under Gott to restore the visitors two goal advantage. Rovers then went close to extending their lead before Warner's last minute wonder free-kick set up a nail-biting finish for the visitors as Wanderers refused to give up hope.
Final Score Wycombe 2 Tranmere Rovers 3
Wycombe: Tom Gott, Mark Philo, Andy Reilly, Matty Fox (sub 69 Nicky Beasant), Stuart Hole (sub 58 Mark Boland), Matt Heggie, Matty Warner, Jamie McClurg, Nathanial Griffiths, Rob Tungatt (sub 89 Leon Gordon), John-Paul Kelly - subs not used: James Rogers, Stephen Flower (GK).
Yellow cards: Kelly (26 kicking the ball away), Hole (29 foul)
Tranmere Rovers: Phillip Palethorpe, Carl Tremarco, Neil Ashton, Alan Griffiths, Gary Pinch, Ged Scott, Joe Fowler (sub 15 Paul Martin), Steven Jennings, Chris Dagnall, Thomas Carroll, Paul Brown - subs not used: James Vaughan, Adam Dickinson
Referee: Mr N D Appleby Attendance: Approx 300

Wanderers Youth Team programme 2000/2001
The Wanderers Youth Team play their home League games at Molins Sports Ground in Princes Risborough.
Click here for location map of Molins Sports Ground
Admission is FREE and a programme is produced for all Under 19 fixtures.
The programme won the Wirral Programme Club Youth Team Programme of the Season for 1999/2000.

Click here for www.CHAIRBOYS.co.uk Wanderers Youth Team and Centre of Excellence Guide

Click here for Youth Team results and fixtures 2002/2003

Click here for Youth Team Picture Gallery 2002-2003

Chairboys on the Net 2002 - all rights reserved.
Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet