FA Youth Cup Second Round
Wednesday 5th November 2003
The FA Youth Cup
James Rogers on the ball against Swindon Wanderers' Under 18's threw away a 2-0 lead as they were defeated 4-2 after extra-time by Swindon Town in the FA Youth Cup Second Round at Adams Park. With new First Team boss Tony Adams and Coach John Gorman looking on, goals from Matty Fox and Leon Gordon put Wycombe in the driving only to concede twice inside the final 12 minutes of normal time. The visitors then scored twice more in extra-time to conclude a disappointing evening for Michael Forsyth's side.
Wanderers will be left wondering how they lost this game after dominating the opening stages. Midfielder Jamie McClurg fired wide of the right-hand upright within the first minute and the pressure continued until Fox fired home from the left flank on 16 minutes to give Wycombe the lead.
Nathaniel Griffiths sent a shot into the side netting on 23 minutes before the visitors began to haul themselves back into the game. Wanderers' keeper Stephen Flower did well to block a Lance Lewis close range effort four minutes before the break while Mitchell Wyatt sent a shot wide moments later as a hint of what was to come.
Half-time Wycombe 1 Swindon 0
The goal that should have sealed Wanderers' victory came on 57 minutes when Mark Boland's throw from the left found it's way back to Jamie Rogers whose sweeping ball into the Swindon penalty area was converted by the head of Leon Gordon.
However, only a fool would have given the thumbs-up to seeing Wanderers in the next round at this stage of the game. It was on 78 minutes when the visitors were rewarded with a lifeline when Chris Taylor's free-kick from the left found it's way pass the Wycombe wall and into the far corner of the net. Then with just three minutes left on the clock another low shot, this time from the opposite flank by Luke Garrard, breached the Wanderers defence to level the score and send the game into extra-time.
90 minutes Wycombe 2 Swindon 2
Swindon looked the stronger and more orgainised side as extra-time commenced and they were rewarded for their efforts on 97 minutes when Taylor's corner from the left was headed in at smashed home from the near side of the penalty area by Leigh Mills.
To Wycombe's credit they battled hard for an equaliser but rarely tested the opposing kepper. Centre of Excellence striker James Faulkner shot over from 8 yards in the 109th minute while the closest Wycombe came to scoring again arrived in the 112th minute when Rogers' low shot was pushed wide by Matthew Bulman in the away goal. Three minutes later a weaving run by Rogers from midfield ended with a shot just high of the target and it signalled the end of Wanderers chances to draw the scores level.
With four minutes left on the clock Flower made an excellent block to keep out a Wyatt shot but in the final minute Lewis added a fourth with another low shot from around 15 yards as the visitors sealed their victory and left Wycombe thinking what might have been.
Final Score Wycombe 2 Swindon 4 (after extra-time)
Wycombe: Stephen Flower, Nick Beasant (sub 73 Steven Gergory), Andy Reilly, Jamie McClurg, Keiron Gradwell, Matt Heggie, James Rogers, Matty Fox, Nathanial Griffiths, Leon Gordon (sub 61 James Faulkner), Mark Boland (sub 105 Shane Garricks), - subs not used: Liam Grier, Dean Thornton
Referee: Mr P A Toyer Att: approx. 200

Click here for www.CHAIRBOYS.co.uk Wanderers Youth Team and Centre of Excellence Guide

Click here for Youth Team results and fixtures 2003/2004

Click here for Youth Team Picture Gallery 2003-2004

Chairboys on the Net 2003 - all rights reserved.
Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet