FA Youth Cup 1st Round
Wednesday 23rd October 2002
The AXA sponsored FA Youth Cup
Wanderers Under 18's made it through to the Second Round of the FA Youth Cup with a battling 4-1 victory over Ilford at the Cricklefield Athletic Stadium. The Essex side proved to be a stiff test for The Wanderers who had to come from behind to seal their passage into the next round.
Ilford, who had played through three qualifying rounds to reach the competition proper, contained Wycombe for the early stages and always looked dangerous on the break. Wanderers first showed on 9 minutes when Mark Philo's through ball to Rob Tungatt saw the former Hoddenson YT player shoot just wide of the left hand upright.
A Matty Warner free-kick from the right wing caused problems for the home defence on 14 minutes while Nathanial Griffiths and Tungatt went close again before Ilford took a surprise lead on 33 minutes - Darryl Wilson latching onto a through ball down the Ilford right before nicking the ball past Tom Gott in the Wycombe goal.
Wanderers didn't panic and the equaliser came three minutes before the break when Warner's corner from the right resulted in a a massive goalmouth scramble, with Ilford eventually clearing the ball off the line. The loose ball was then re-delivered to the far post where Stuart Hole was lurking to convert, directing the ball back into the opposite corner of the net.
Gott held a long range effort from Marc Dennis on the stroke of half-time as the sides went in level and everything to play for.
Half-time 1-1
With a chilling wind behind them Wanderers took the lead for the first time in the 54 minute when John-Paul Kelly's pass from midfield found Tungatt who steered the ball inside the right-hand post as he ran into the penalty from the left channel.
Tungatt went close again on 70 minutes after Warner's free-kick was blocked while the home side pressed Wycombe occasionally but couldn't find a way through a stubborn Wanderers defence.
Nicky Beasant, son of former Wimbledon 'keeper Dave, was introduced for the Wanderers in the closing stages and he was involved in the goal that effectively sealed the victory. Eight minutes were left on the clock when Matt Heggie made a clever interception in midfield and passed to Beasant. The central through ball was then picked up by a well timed run by Tungatt who finished cooly again.
A minute later Wanderers got a fourth when James Rogers was fouled in the penalty area as he came in from the right bye-line. Warner converted the resulting spot-kick, sending the 'keeper the wrong way in the process. It capped a battling performace and a result that was no where near as easy as the scoreline may suggest. Wanderers youngsters will now be looking forward to a home Second Round meeting with Cirencester Town which will be played on Tuesday 5th November at Adams Park. Wanderers beat Cirencester 3-0 at the same stage last season.
Final Score Ilford 1 Wycombe 4
Wycombe: Tom Gott, James Rogers, Andy Reilly, Matty Warner, Stuart Hole, Matt Heggie, Leon Gordon, Mark Philo, Nathanial Griffiths, Rob Tungatt, John-Paul Kelly (sub 76 Nicky Beasant) subs not used: Mark Boland, Billy Harding, Stephen Flower (GK).
Ilford:Ryan Maxwell, Lee Matson, Anton Price, Danial Casey, Bradley Nelson, Marc Dennis, Mark Naugher, Ryan Edgar, Darryl, Wilson, Adam Lindsay, Daniel Andrews
Referee: Mr G Evets Attendance: 150 approx

Wanderers Youth Team programme 2000/2001
The Wanderers Youth Team play their home League games at Molins Sports Ground in Princes Risborough.
Click here for location map of Molins Sports Ground
Admission is FREE and a programme is produced for all Under 19 fixtures.
The programme won the Wirral Programme Club Youth Team Programme of the Season for 1999/2000.

Click here for Wanderers Youth Team and Centre of Excellence Guide

Click here for Youth Team results and fixtures 2002/2003

Click here for Youth Team Picture Gallery 2002-2003

Chairboys on the Net 2002 - all rights reserved.
Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet