Berks and Bucks
Senior Cup 1st Round
Chesham United v
Wycombe Wanderers
Tuesday 28th October 2003
Andy Bell - missed the second of Wanderers' spot kicksA Wanderers XI put in a lacklustre display and missed two penalties as they lost 3-2 at Chesham United in the Berks and Bucks Senior Cup.
Managed by Peter Cawley, Wanderers fielded a mix of inexperienced and young players with 20 year old Roger Johnson claiming the most Football League outings while Steve Dell and Richard Harris were the 'seniors' in the side at 23 years old.
On a damp evening the home side took a 10th minute lead through Paul Aldridge when he looped a header over Steve Williams in the Wycombe goal following a corner from the left. However, Wanderers were level within a minute when a Lewis Cook through ball found Andy Bell in space down the left flank and the former Blackburn Rovers youngster flicked the ball accurately home inside the near post as the 'keeper advanced.
Wanderers missed their first penalty of the evening on 25 minutes when Richard Harris was fouled after he had been picked out in the box by Charlie Mapes. Harris took the penalty himself but saw his shot saved to the keeper's right.
Wycombe continued to have the upper hand with Mapes curling a 25 yard effort just wide on 37 minutes while a minute before the break an interchange between Harris, Cook and Mapes set Jonny Dixon away on the right side of goal but his eventual shot was blocked out at the last moment, although the referee saw fit to give a goal-kick.
Right on the stroke of 45 minutes Wanderers were awarded their second penalty of the tie when Harris was fouled again. This time Bell insisted he was going to take the spot-kick but he proved he could do no better than Harris when he smashed the ball marginally to the keeper's left, allowing a comfortable block.
Any thoughts that Wanderers were taking this tie seriously could have been dismissed at half-time when Peter Cawley introduced substitutes Billy Harding, Andy Reilly and Nicky Beasant for Harris, Dixon and Steve Dell. Third Year Scholar Harding may have played briefly for the First Team but the latter two were making their debuts in any Wanderers senior side.
Despite the changes, Mapes gave Wycombe the lead a minute into the second period when he finished cooly from 10 yards after Cook had played him in. However, Wanderers inexperience began to tell when Gary Sippetts fired home at the far past following a cross from the right around the hour mark. Then, after Williams had brilliantly tipped over a long range shot on goal, it was Sippetts again, with his 15th goal of the season, who scored the winner when he flicked home a 63rd minute corner from the right.
The closest Wycombe came to equalising was when Beasant's looping cross from the right almost caught out Matthew Ramsey in the Chesham goal but the home keeper recovered in time to tip the ball away and ensure that it was United who go on to travel to Burnham in the quarter-final.
Final Score Chesham 3 Wycombe 2
Wycombe: Williams, Dell (sub HT Beasant), Johnson, Oliver, Simpemba, Philo, Mapes, Cook, Dixon (sub HT Reilly), Bell, Harris (sub HT Harding) - sub not used Gott Ref: J Comley Att: 250 approx
Wycombe Wanderers
Reserve Team
Fixtures, results,
match reports

Brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
online since 1995
Reserves Archive

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet