Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 

Click here to download your FREE Wycombe Wanderers Desktops

NATIONWIDE Division Two WYCOMBE v Wrexham
Tuesday 31st August
Division Two
Lawrie Sanchez was on the bench for the first time this season following his six game ban but saw his side lose 1-0 to a soft goal in a game Wycombe could have won by a comfortable margin. Before a good crowd at Adams Park Wrexham 'keeper Kevin Dearden was on top form in the first half to deny Wycombe on several occasions. On 29 minutes he blocked Jermaine McSporran's piledriver after the headline hitter at Wolves was sent through by Steve Brown from midfield. Brown provided again two minutes later as an Andy Baird flick header was pushed around the post by Dearden. Jamie Bates failed to get the vital touch from the resulting corner as Wycombe finished the half well on top but without making the vital breakthrough.
Half-Time 0-0
Dave Carroll made one his characteristic mazey runs three minutes into the second half before feeding McSporran on the flank but the low cross was lacking the devine intervention. The first danger signs for Wycombe came three minutes later when some very complacent defending saw Craig Falconbridge in acres of space at Taylor's right hand post but the ex-Coventry striker delayed too long. Dearden looked to have finally been beaten on 55 minutes but the cross bar came to his rescue as Keith Ryan looked away in disbelief when his shot some how stayed out. Significantly Martin Taylor made a brave stop a minute later to prevent Falconbridge from opening the scoring on the Wrexham left. Taylor was left nursing a sore arm and ten minutes later that same arm made a weak punched clearance to allow Paul Barrett to score at his left hand post. It could have been worse on 80 minutes as Taylor tipped Falconbridge's drive onto the bar. Wycombe took ten minutes before they pressed for an equaliser but looked certain to draw level on 82 minutes when McSporran's effort from the left was cleared wide at last moment. There was a massive claim for handball from the resulting corner but it would have been a harsh decision. Bates fired straight at Dearden on 85 minutes as Wycombe tried without success to prevent their unbeaten run from coming to an end.
Final Score Wycombe 0 Wrexham 1
WYCOMBE TEAM:Taylor, Lawrence, Bates, McCarthy (sub 86 Senda), Beeton (sub 83 Cousins), Ryan, Simpson, Carroll, Brown, Baird, McSporran subs not used Holsgrove, Osborn and Harkin Att:5,393
Archive Reports
Looking for another match report? Take a stroll through our match report archive -
Every First Team match since August 1996. All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our permission.
Unless stated Wycombe Wanderers pictures are with kind permission of Paul Dennis (LRPS)
For copies or further information he can be contacted on (+44)(0)1622-735143

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet