Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 

Nationwide League Division Two Wrexham v WYCOMBE
Saturday 5th February
Division Two
Three second half goals saw Wycombe come back from a goal down to take all three points at The Racecourse Ground on Saturday. It was Wycombe's first away win since the 2-1 victory at Blackpool back in September and even more remarkable was the fact that Wycombe were without several key players - Jason Cousins, Steve Brown and Michael Simpson were all suspended, while Jamie Bates and Jermaine McSporran were out with injuries. To add to Wycombe's woes, four minutes after Wrexham had taken a 23rd minute lead, Lawrie Sanchez was forced to withdraw Sean Devine after he limped off with an injured ankle.
The blustery conditions didn't make for entertaining football and neither 'keeper was tested in the opening exchanges. Wrexham's Neil Roberts saw a shot curl over Taylor's bar on 9 minutes while Wycombe first showed signs of life after Baird had kept the ball in play in the left corner before Lawrence's cross from the opposite flank was cut-out. The opening goal of the afternoon came after a cross from the right side from Brian Carey was met by the head of Robins' leader scorer Craig Faulconbridge - the ball beating Taylor via the underside of the crossbar.
It could have been 2-0 three minutes later when a Kevin Russell shot was tipped around the post for a corner by Taylor. Moments later Dannie Bulman headed off the line as Wycombe had the backs to the wall. Devine's departure after 27 minutes could well have signalled curtains for Wycombe but instead it prompted an unlikely road to recovery.
Devine's replacement, Danny Senda caused Wrexham problems with his shear pace and his lay-off to Carroll in the 29th minute almost produced an equaliser -  'Jesus' turning sharply before volleying inches wide. At the other Paul McCarthy caused Taylor to scramble the ball wide after a backward header had potential 'og' written on it and Faulconbridge also went close with a genuine header a minute later. 
As half-time approached, Andy Baird looked in hope for a penalty when he took a tumble in the box but complaints were minimal from the Wycombe camp. Then on the stroke of half-time Carroll curled a 25 yard free-kick just a couple of feet over the Wrexham cross-bar as a warning of things to come.
Half-time Wrexham 1 Wycombe 0
Andy Baird was knocked flat by Carey within the opening minute of the second period and it would have been a brave punter to have bet on Wycombe taking all three points at this stage. However, Keith Ryan had other ideas and his searching run into the box on 54 minutes created the opening that saw Matt Brady sweep the ball home for his second goal in as many starts for Wycombe. 
The home side responded when Gareth Owen's run run across midfield culminated with a 25 yard shot being expertly tipped around the post by Taylor. Frustration then set in for the home side when Neil Roberts blazed over with the goal at his mercy.
The winning goal came with twelve minutes left on the clock. From an almost identical position as his first half effort, Carroll stepped up to curl the ball over the Wrexham wall and into the back of the net - giving Kevin Deardon no chance. It was Carroll's first League goal since his strike during the 5-3 victory over Reading but his 97th in just over 550 appearances in a Wycombe shirt.
After conceeding a late goal at Preston, Wycombe retained their concentration in the dying minutes, with Alan Beeton replacing Matt Brady in the 80th minute and slotting into the left side of midfield. With 90 minutes showing on the clock, Wycombe had forced a throw-in out wide on the left. Beeton a long throw into the Wrexham box (did he get the idea from Tranmere?) and when the ball broke lose, Danny Senda curled a low shot into the corner of the net - game over and cue a mass of Wycombe players in a heap with a manic and shirtless Alan Beeton seeming to enjoy it rather a lot.
Wycombe climb to 11th place in the table with the home game with Oxford United to look forward to next Saturday.

Final Score Wrexham 1 Wycombe 3
Wycombe Team: Taylor, Lawrence, Vinnicombe, McCarthy, Rogers, Ryan, Carroll, Baird (sub 89 Thompson), Devine (sub 27 Senda), Bulman, Brady (sub 80 Beeton)
subs not used Westhead, Harkin Att:2,781
Archive Reports
Looking for another match report? Take a stroll through our match report archive -
Every First Team match since August 1996. All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our permission.

Unless stated Wycombe Wanderers pictures are with kind permission of Paul Dennis (LRPS)
For copies or further information he can be contacted on (+44)(0)1622-735143

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet