Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 

Click here to download your FREE Wycombe Wanderers Desktops

NATIONWIDE Division Two Oldham v WYCOMBE
Tuesday 2nd November
Division Two
Martin Taylor - string of saves at Oldham - picture with kind permission of Paul Dennis see below for detailsWycombe returned to league action at Boundary Park on Tuesday night with an eventful Division Two encounter with Oldham Athletic. Wycombe were 1-0 up within the first two minutes when Sean Devine converted a right wing cross from Andy Baird after Vinnicombe had started from the back. A minute later Oldham were level when Lee Duxbury caught out Alan Beeton down the Oldham right and Paul Rickers put away the cross to the far post. To complete a hectic opening five minutes, Jason Cousins saw red when he was dismissed for hauling down Craig Dudley when through on goal. Martin Taylor made several good saves as Wycombe regrouped with a 5-4-1 formation - Andy Baird the loan striker. Wycombe were fortunate on several occasions as Oldham wasted several chances to take the lead before the break - Taylor saving with his legs on the stroke of half-time from Dudley before Vinnicombe cleared, then during the eleven minutes (!!) of first half stoppage time Oldham saw a chance hit the post.
Half-time 1-1
Oldham continued to dominate and twelve minutes into the second-half Rickers missed by inches. Wycombe had a rare chance on 61 minutes when Beeton created a chance for Devine but the ball was blasted into the side netting. The balance of play was emphasised on 65 minutes when Wycombe forced their first corner compared to Oldham, who had a dozen in the first half alone. Taylor made another brilliant save on 67 minutes from Mark Hotte. Sanchez brought on Jermaine McSporran for the final twenty minutes but it really was a case of holding on. A mix up between Harkin and Emblen nearly let in Dudley with just five minutes left on the clock but Taylor came to the rescue again. Then just like opening of the match two goals came within a minute. On 89 minutes Harkin's deep corner from the right was headed goalwards by Jamie Bates - Keith Ryan's follow up hit the post before Andy Baird finally scrambled the ball home. However, before the loyal band of Wycombe supporters could even think about celebrating three points, Oldham substitute Steve Whitehall had glanced the ball into the Wycombe net from Dudley's ball in from the right wing.
Final  Score Oldham  2 Wycombe 2
WYCOMBE TEAM: Taylor, Rogers, Vinnicombe, Cousins, Bates, Beeton, Ryan, Brown (sub 59 Harkin), Simpson (sub 83 Emblen), Devine (sub 69 McSporran), Baird subs not used Osborn and Bulman Att:3,807
Archive Reports
Looking for another match report? Take a stroll through our match report archive -
Every First Team match since August 1996. All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our permission.
Unless stated Wycombe Wanderers pictures are with kind permission of Paul Dennis (LRPS)
For copies or further information he can be contacted on (+44)(0)1622-735143

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet