Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 

Click here to download your FREE Wycombe Wanderers Desktops

v Cambridge United
Saturday 9th October
Division Two
Mark Osborn - Youth Team player of the Year 1998/99 - Football League debut and clean sheet against Cambridge - picture with kind permission of Paul Dennis - see belowA single goal from Sean Devine after 10 minutes was enough for Wycombe to claim a 1-0 victory over Cambridge United at Adams Park on Saturday. It was The Blues third consecutive victory in the League and lifts Wycombe to the dizzy heights of sixth place in the table. Victory came at a price, however, with Dave Carroll and Jermaine McSporran picking up injuries to add further strain on Wycombe's slimline squad.
The Wanderers went into the game reeling from a goalkeeping crisis. Youth Team 'keeper Mark Osborn came in for his first full game in the First Team after loan 'keeper Stephen Bywater was kept on the bench due to international duty with the England Under 19 team. Osborn was the only change to the side that beat Reading 5-3 the previous Saturday.
Wycombe began the game in lively style. Within a minute Jamie Bates saw his header fly over the cross-bar from Carroll's free-kick. After 4 minutes McSporran cut inside from the right wing but his low shot was straight at the Cambridge 'keeper. The winning goal came when McSporran powered through from just inside the Wycombe half but was stopped in his tracks by the Cambridge rear-guard. McSporran regained possession, before Keith Ryan fed the ball through to Dave Carroll in a suspiciously looking offside position on the right side of the penalty area, 'Jesus' then squared the ball to Devine who tucked the ball into an empty net.
United responded also immediately through John Taylor but Osborn held his shot well. Carroll limped off after 19 minutes to be replaced by Steve Brown. Cambridge also introduced Trevor Benjamin from the bench and he had the visitors best chance of the half when he blasted over 18 yards.
Half-time Wycombe 1 Cambridge 0
After a disjointed end to first-half Wycombe returned to their attacking initiative after the break. After 47 minutes Chris Vinnicombe put in a good cross from the left but Paul Emblen wasted what was a free header. Four minutes later McSporran broke into the Cambridge box from the right but he pulled his shot a couple of feet wide of the far post. It was to be McSporran's last real action of the game as he followed Carroll into the physio's room and was replaced by Andy Baird. Cambridge took advantage by having their best spell of the game around the hour mark but they never really tested Osborn in the Wycombe goal and Cousins and Bates held firm after last week's 'leaky' performance against Reading.
The closing stages was spoiled by yet another over fussy referee who amazed both sets of supporters with strange decisions and bizarre bookings. However, Wycombe were good value for their victory and could have won by more if Devine had been more accurate in front of goal. On 67 minutes he mis-cued totally after Baird had crossed from the right and in the dying minutes he saw a shot blocked from close range.
Final Score Wycombe 1 Cambridge United 0
WYCOMBE TEAM: Osborn, Lawrence, Cousins, Vinnicombe, Bates, Ryan, Carroll (sub 19 Brown), Simpson, Emblen, Devine, McSporran (sub 55 Baird) subs not used Holsgrove, Bywater, Rogers Att:5,345
Archive Reports
Looking for another match report? Take a stroll through our match report archive -
Every First Team match since August 1996. All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our permission.
Unless stated Wycombe Wanderers pictures are with kind permission of Paul Dennis (LRPS)
For copies or further information he can be contacted on (+44)(0)1622-735143

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet