Matchday Essentials 2002-2003 Click here for the latest match previews and reports
Click here for Quick Guide Huddersfield Town v Click here for your Rough Guide to Wycombe Wanderers
Wycombe Wanderers
Saturday 9th November 2002
Football League Division Two
Danny Senda
Danny Senda - sent off at Huddersfield.
Danny Senda was sent off in controversial circumstances as Wanderers played out a goalless draw at Huddersfield. Senda retaliated to a wild challenge by Kevin Sharpe in the 82nd minute and will consider himself extremely unlucky to be shown a red card after seemingly just pushing the player away.
Lawrie Sanchez made two changes to the side that had lost to Swindon the previous week - Paul McCarthy returned after a one match ban for Mark Rogers and Steve Brown added steel to the midfield in favour of Darren Currie.
The game itself saw the home side enjoy the majority of the possesion but Wycombe created some decent openings and before Senda's dismissal were chasing the game. Wycombe's best efforts came in a spells either side of half-time. On 40 minutes Andy Rammell went close with a header and then a minute later Senda saw a shot saved. Wanderers then forced two corners at the start of the second period and from the second Paul McCarthy went close with a header. 'Macca' managed to battle his way through the game after throwing up during the half-time break after being struck by a stomach bug.
Earlier in the game the home side had looked the side more likely to score. On 6 minutes Jon Stead went close as he came in from the left wing and three minutes later a Dwayne Mattis cross saw 19 year old Jon Worthington head just wide of the far post.
Huddersfield, fielding six players 21 years old or younger in their starting line-up, controlled much of the opening play and the tricky Worthington had an interesting duel with Steve Brown. A rash challenge by Brown on the youngster in the 24th minute brought the first yellow card of the day from first year Football League referee Carl Boyeson but two minutes later Worthington, making his first start for Huddersfield, found his way into the book for a similar challenge on Brown. 'Brownie' was subsequently the subject of taunts from the home crowd and following a fairly innocuous clash of heads with Paul Scott on 64 minutes they were baying for a second yellow. The referee didn't oblige but Lawrie Sanchez was taking no further risks and replaced Brown soon after with Darren Currie.
By this stage the game was there for the taking for either team but it was the home side who took the initiative and pushed forward. On 71 minutes the home fans were convinced thet had won a penalty when Senda's tackle on John Thorrington saw the former Manchester United youth player go to ground. The referee wasn't impressed and booked the Huddersfield player for diving. The decision possibly unsettled Huddersfield as Wycombe looked to snatch something on the break.
It was from a break down the Wycombe right on 82 minutes that the game boiled up again. Senda got away down the right flank but Kevin Sharpe cynically brought him down from behind just as both Rammell and Faulconbridge looked ready to connect in the middle. Senda and Sharpe had a 'face to face' and Senda made the mistake of raising a hand and pushing the Huddersfield player away. Sharpe was booked, while Senda was shown red for the second time this season and will now miss four games starting with Tranmere Rovers at home on Saturday 23rd November.
Wycombe sensibly closed ranks after the dismissal. Mark Rogers replaced Rammell but not before Frank Talia had stunned the home fans when he dived to stop Martin Smith on 84 minutes. Earlier in the half he also saved a one-on-one with Jonathan Stead and on this form Martin Taylor will have a difficult job forcing his way back into the side. The main problem for Wycombe is that they continue to struggle to find the back of the net. It was back on the opening day of the season at Notts County that a first choice forward scored in an away League game for Wycombe.
Final Score Huddersfield 0 Wycombe 0
Wycombe: Talia, Vinnicombe, Senda, McCarthy, Thomson, Brown (sub 65 Currie), Bulman, Simpson, Ryan, Faulconbridge (sub 89 Harris), Rammell (sub 84 Rogers) subs not used: Cook, Dixon
Yellow Cards: Brown (foul 25) Red Cards: Danny Senda (violent conduct 82)
Huddersfield: Bevan, Sharp, Clarke, Moses, Jenkins, Worthington (sub 76 Schofield), Scott, Mattis (sub 89 Irons), Thorrington, Stead, Smith subs: Senior, Brown, Macari
Yellow Cards: Worthington (foul 27), Stead (foul 51), Thorrington (foul 70), Sharp (foul 82)
Referee: Carl Boyeson (East Yorks) Attendance: 8,695 (273 Wycombe)
Interactive Stats
Match and players
All the Wycombe results, scorers, team line-ups and statistical breakdown of the current season - FULLY INTERACTIVE to your heart's content.
Latest Table and form Updated table with results archive of ALL Division Two games plus form guide and previous meeting between ALL clubs for the past four seasons.
Squad Info
Quick Links

Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Click here for Quick Guide Quick Guide to The Terriers
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 9th November
All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000, 2001, 2002
Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet