Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 

Pre -season
Wycombe v Crystal Palace
Saturday 5th August 2000
Steve Brown - another cracker against Palace and maybe one at the other end - Picture Paul DennisWycombe completed their pre-season programme for 2000/2001 with a casual 3-1 victory over Alan Smith's Crystal Palace. The appearance of the ex-Wycombe Manager gave some added bite to the friendly but it was Smith who went away with the most worries after his team were beaten with ease by injury hit Wanderers.
Before the kick-off there was news that Steve Jones (twisted ankle), Michael Simpson (thigh strain) and Matt Brady (sick) had all been pulled from the squad. With Alan Beeton also on crutches to ease a leg injury, that left Lawrie Sanchez with just 15 pros to choose from and there were places for trialist Joel Rogers and members of the Wycombe Youth Team on the bench.
Palace had conceeded 15 goals in their three other pre-season friendlies and were 1-0 down after the first attack from Wycombe. Jermaine McSporran, who has excelled in the friendlies, found space on the right and when his right wing ball broke lose on the edge of the Palace box Steve Brown was lurking to rifle the ball home.
Jamie Bates nearly doubled Wycombe's lead in the 12th minute when his free-kick from the half-way line almost caught out Palace 'keeper Matt Greg. Wycombe continued to dominate possession in a sun drenched Adams Park and took a 2-0 lead in the 26th minute. Chris Vinnicombe sent a free-kick from the left wing into a crowded box where Bates saw a shot blocked. Mo Harkin then picked up the pieces, stabbing in a shot from 12 yards that was also blocked but Andy Baird was in the right place at the right time to force the ball home from close range.
Palace could have hit back two minutes later but Wayne Carlisle shot weakly at Martin Taylor after being presented with a clear run on goal. Dean Austin also saw a deflected shot turned around the post by the Wycombe 'keeper as the visitors took advantage of Wycombe taking a breather just before the break.
Half-time Wycombe 2 Palace 0
Chris Vinnicombe and Mark Rogers were replaced at the break after picking up slight strains and Danny Senda came on for Baird who had picked up a dead-leg.
The re-shuffle saw Steve Brown drop back to left-back while up front Wycombe experimented with the speedy duo of McSporran and Senda on either wing. It was pace that Palace simply could not live with. First Senda saw a low shot saved by Gregg after a move down the left, then in the 64th minute, with McSporran switched to the left, Stewart Castledine just failed to turn home a stinging cross from 'Jocky'.
A minute later, however, Wycombe went 3-0 up after a similar move. This time McSporran shot himself and when the ball came back off the post Senda was on hand to convert.
McSporran was substituted immediately after the goal as Wycombe took the foot off the gas. Palace reduced the deficit in the 67th minute when Julian Gray's left wing cross was headed past Martin Taylor at the far post by an embarrassed Steve Brown  - of course Wayne Carlisle tried to claim the goal but we saw you 'Brownie'!
The game saw trialist Joel Rogers get another chance but it was Martyn Lee who impressed most as he showed that he has the stamina to compete at League level. Youth Teamer Peter Holsgrove made his First Team debut when he replaced Harkin who was suffering from cramp. Holsgrove, brother of Lee, had played earlier that morning for the Wycombe Youth Team against Palace.
Final Score Wycombe 3 Palace 1
Wycombe: Taylor, Vinnicombe (sub HT Castledine), McCarthy, Bates, M Rogers (sub HT Cousins), Lee, Bulman, Baird (sub HT Senda), McSporran (sub 66 J Rogers), Harkin (sub 81 Holsgrove), Brown
subs not used: Osborn, Townsend, McCullagh
Crystal Palace: Gregg, Smith, Hankin, Austin, Zhiyi (sub HT Gray), Ruddock, Carlisle (sub 75 Black), Mullins, Forsell, Morrison, Fullerton (sub 69 Thomspon)
sub not used: Hunt
Referee: David Crick Attendance: 1,498 
Other Pre-Season Friendlies
Saturday 22nd July 2000
Boreham W 0 Wycombe 2

Tuesday 25th July 2000
Wycombe 2 QPR 2

Saturday 29th July 2000
Bohemian 1 Wycombe 3

Tuesday 1st August 2000
Wycombe 0 Leicester 3
The Ch@irboys on the Net Match Report Archive
(over 200 reports!)

All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet