Millwall 1
Wycombe Wanderers 2
Saturday 5th December 2015
FA Cup Second Round Proper

Wanderers stunned Millwall with a 2-1 victory at The New Den to reach the Third Round of the FA Cup for the first time in five years. Michael Harriman grabbed the winner in second-half stoppage time - smashing home the ball from around three yards after Aaron Pierre had shown great ball control before squaring to the QPR loanee.

Team news for Wanderers saw Aaron Pierre return to the side following his one match suspension - replacing Danny Rowe, while Aaron Amadi-Holloway got his first start for 7 games in favour of Garry Thompson. Meanwhile, the home side included former Wanderers loanees Joran Archer in goal and Fred Onyedinma on the bench. Millwall Club Captain Tony Craig, another former Wanderer loanee, was missing due to injury.

On a windy afternoon in South London, Wanderers bossed the opening 45 minutes but couldn't find a way through a Millwall side who had won six out of their previous seven home games. However, Wycombe took the lead in the 50th minute when Nelson allowed the ball to bounce and Paul Hayes snapped up the chance. Thoughts of an extended cup run were put on ice when the home side equalised seven minutes later when the ball got caught up in the wind again and a headed clearance fell to Ben Thompson who drilled the ball past Matt Ingram.

Wanderers played the remainder of the game on the counter and thought they had regained the lead in the 64th minute but Harriman's effort was ruled out for offside. With five minutes of stoppage time indicated it looked like the tie was heading back to a replay at Adams Park but Pierre's flash of brilliance and Harriman's fifth goal of the season earned Wycombe a £27,000 cheque for winning the Second Round tie.

Full-time - Millwall 1 Wycombe 2
Wycombe: Ingram, McCarthy, Jombati, Stewart, Pierre, Harriman, O'Nien, Bloomfield, Wood, Amadi-Holloway (sub 75 Thompson), Hayes - subs not used: Lynch, Rowe, Sellers, McGinn, Kretzschmar, Ugwu, Thompson
Scorers: Hayes 50, Harriman
Bookings: Pierre 52, Hayes 66, Stewart 72, O'Nein 87
Millwall: Archer, Edwards, Nelson, Webster, Joe Martin, O'Brien (sub 83 Lee Martin), Thompson, Williams, Upson (sub 70 Onyedinma [sub 95 Pavey]), Gregory, Morison - subs not used: Forde, Wood, Cummings, Abdou
Scorers: Thompson 57
Bookings: Lee Martin 89, Thompson 92
Referee: Mr Frederick Graham Attendance: 3,960 (away 658)

Gareth AinsworthSpeaking after the game, Wanderers Manager Gareth Ainsworth told the press: "We lost to them in the League Cup last year so we knew what to expect and that it is a real tough place to come. I thought that if any team deserved to win today it was Wycombe Wanderers and to a man our energy and commitment was second to none."
The victory at Millwall came after a 3-0 midweek reverse to Bristol Rovers and Ainsworth was pleased with the response, adding: "It is a credit to the players, and I agree that they could have collapsed and had a bit of ‘here we go again’ syndrome but it wasn’t like that. wouldn’t be sitting here as Wycombe Wanderers manager if they were like that. I thought the goal at the end was fantastic. It showed typical Wycombe grind and the goal was deserved. This wasn’t a fluke, and if you were in the ground and honest today, I think you would have to say that we deserved to win."
Speculating on the Third Round draw, the Wycombe boss said: "Financially it is tough at Wycombe so this will go a long way towards helping us. What people don’t realise is that the third round and all the glamour ties are great but this will go a long way towards helping us financially."

All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet