Stevenage 1
Wycombe Wanderers 3
Saturday 23rd August 2014
Football League Two

Paul Hayes - superb opener for the Wanderers Wanderers bounced back in style from their midweek home defeat to Tranmere to record an impressive 3-1 victory at Stevenage. Wycombe had to come from behind too after Darius Charles had put the home side up in controversial fashion on 31 minutes following a 50/50 challenge with Matt Ingram. However, goals from Paul Hayes and Peter Murphy put Wanderers into the driving seat before the break and Matt McClure sealed the points with another strike in the final minute of the ninety.

The home side took the lead when Ingram slid out with his legs to try and prevent Charles collecting a through ball down the left channel. Ingram was left pole axed and needing treatment but Charles mamaged to get up and sweep the ball into the empty net. It was some time before the game restarted and the goal was eventually confirmed. Ingram was also able to continue and would have delighted to see Paul Hayes draw Wycombe level on 40 minutes with a delightful flick and volley from the right side of the box into the left corner of the Stevenage net. And there was more joy for the Wanderers when a bizarre free-kick routine from the right side of the box led to a second goal a minute before the break, with Peter Murphy managing to squeeze the ball in at the near post. Wanderers sealed the points in the final minute of the 90 when substitute Matt McClure broke down the right from the half-way line and then exchanged with fellow sub Stuart Lewis before slotting in from 12 yards past a stranded Sam Beasant in the home goal.

Full-time - Stevenage 1 Wycombe 3
Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Mawson, Pierre, Cowan-Hall (sub 80 Bloomfield), Rowe, Murphy, Wood, Craig (sub 74 Lewis), Hayes (sub 88 McClure) - subs not used: Richardson, Kretzschmar, Walker, Holloway
Scorers: Hayes 40, Murphy 44, McClure 90
Bookings: Lewis 79
Stevenage: Beasant, Ashton, Wells, Dembele (sub HT Pett), Okimo, Whelpdale, Walton, Bond (sub HT Marriott), Deacon, Lee, Charles (sub 88 Johnson) - subs not used: Day, Henry
Scorers: Charles 31
Bookings: Walton 93, Johnson 95
Referee: Mr Kevin Wright Attendance: 2,832 (562 away)

Post match reaction:
Gareth Ainsworth Commenting after the game, Gareth Ainsworth said, "We stood up to everything they chucked at us. Not many people will have seen that coming. Going down after a defeat at home, and the goal could have been a little bit unjust, the reaction epitomises how far we’ve come. I can see us getting better and better and stronger and stronger. As long as everyone keeps their feet on the ground, does the right thing and the effort and togetherness stays, that’s my job done. The big thing for me is losing 2-0 in midweek to Tranmere and getting back on track today – whether it’s a big win or a slim win, getting back on track was what I wanted to do. They have done a really good professional job today and I couldn’t be happier" The Wycombe boss also said, "Peter (Murphy) pops up in goalscoring positions all the time and to have a player like that in your team is vital. Two 19 to 20-year-olds at the back; Aaron Pierre and Alfie Mawson, both of them were outstanding. They are still learning the game but handled everything a tough, aerially aggressive side will throw at you."

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet