Millwall 1
Wycombe Wanderers 0
Tuesday 12th August 2014
Football League Cup First Round

Sido Jombati - early effort for the Wanderers Wanderers went down 1-0 at Millwall in the First Round of the Football League Cup. The only goal of the game came from Matthew Briggs on 27 minutes but the resulting celebration where the Lions debutant removed his shirt earnt him a yellow card that would later prove dear. Briggs was cautioned again in the second-half for a reckless challenge on Sido Jombati and meant that Wanderers played against ten men for the remaining 30 minutes of the tie. However, dispite a valiant effort from the Wanderers it was Millwall who went through to the next round.

The loss to the Championship side came after Gareth Ainsworth name an unchanged Wycombe line-up to the one that beat Newport the previous weekend. Meanwhile, Millwall, managed by Ainsworth's former QPR boss Ian Hollaway, named seven changes to side that beat Leeds United in their first game of the season.

On a rainy night in South London it was Wanderers who had the first decent chance of the tie on 7 minutes when Sido Jombati crossed from the right for Paul Hayes to volley from 12 yards and force a save from home 'keeper David Forde. Sam Wood had long range shot saved on 23 minutes before the home side took the lead. The goal came after The Lions worked the ball through from midfield, with former Wanderer Jermaine Easter involved, and ending with left back Briggs firing in from the left corner of the six yard box.

Wanderers almost drew an equaliser on 38 minutes when Matt McClure held the ball up before laying back to Jombati whose low shot was tipped wide of the left hand upright by Forde.

Briggs red card for a wild high kick on Jombati in the 59 minute seemed to inspire Millwall for a short period, with Matt Ingram forced to advance quickly from his line to block Lee Gregory's attempt at goal. But Wycombe had chances to level, including an 82nd minute move that started with a through ball from Jombati nodded back by Murphy down the right wing for Hayes to deliver a low cross to the far post that Paris Cowan-Hall couldn't quite get the contact on to send goalwards. Substitute Steven Craig also saw two late headers go wide as Wycombe went out at the First Round stage for the third season running.

Full-time - Millwall 1 Wycombe 0
Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Mawson (sub 83 Craig), Pierre, Cowan-Hall, Murphy, Kretzschmar (sub 83 Bloomfield), Wood, McClure (sub 72 Holloway), Hayes - subs unused: Richardson, Rowe, Walker, Morias
Scorers: none
Bookings: Cowan-Hall 87
Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Briggs, Shittu, Webster, Wright, Abdou, MacDonald (sub 62 Powell), Gueye (sub 47 Onyedinma), Easter (sub 84 Siafa), Gregory - subs not used: Bywater, O’Brien, Goodman, Marquis
Scorers: Briggs 27
Bookings: Briggs 28, Briggs 59 (red card second bookable offence)
Referee: Mr Andy D'Urso Attendance: 3,403 (away 342)

Post match reaction:
Gareth Ainsworth Commenting after the game, Gareth Ainsworth said, "Hopefully we've gained a bit of respect form the Championship side tonight. I thought we deserved something from the game. We've got to build slowly at this club, but the signs are still there. We've got a big job to do, on and off the pitch last season wasn't good enough, this season is hopefully a turn around from that." Meanwhile, Millwall boss Ian Holloway, who was Ainsworth's Manager while the pair were at QPR was relief the tie didn't go to extra-time, saying, "I would have hated it if it had gone to extra time because that would have been far too much for us. That's as tough a test I've had from any second division team, ever, so well done to Gareth. Well done to our opponents, who I thought were fantastic, valiant, and didn't stop trying all night. They have got a lot more promise this year than they had last year."

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet