Dagenham & Redbridge 2
Wycombe Wanderers 0
Saturday 30th November 2013
Football League Two

Anthony Stewart - conceeded harsh penalty The controversial sending-off of Anthony Stewart and the resulting penalty were the main talking points after Wanderers lost 2-0 at Dagenham & Redbridge. A Wycombe side with five changes from the side that had drew in the week against Exeter were trailing at the break after conceeding a 24th minute goal by Afolabi Obafemi who was allowed to turn and shoot home from the right of the box. Stewart, who had a headed 'goal' ruled out in the latter stages a the first half for a previous foul by Steven Craig, was sent off two minutes into the second period after his tackle on Rhys Murphy as The Daggers player raced in towards the left side of the six yard box was deemed a foul by referee Keith Stroud - with a red card and penalty the consequence. Murphy sent Matt Ingram the wrong way from the spot to make Wanderers task doubly difficult. Ten man Wycombe had the better chances in the remainder of the game, Paris Cowan-Hall going close with a long range effort and Charles Dunne hitting the foot of the left hand upright with a header in the final minute of normal time.

Wycombe's winless run in the League is now six games as they drop to 16th place in the table with 22 points from the opening 18 games.
Full-time - Dagenham 2 Wycombe 0
Wycombe: Ingram, McCoy, Dunne, Stewart, Johnson, Cowan-Hall, Scowen, Lewis, Kretzschmar (sub 50 Doherty), McClure (sub 83 Morias), Craig (sub 41 Morgan) - subs not used: Horlock, Arnold, Bloomfield
Scorers: none
Bookings: Scowen 22, Stewart 47 (red card), Johnson 81, McCoy 93
Dagenham: Lewington, Hoyte, Ilesanmi, Doe, Saah, Ogogo, Howell, Elito (sub 80 Edgar), Hines, Murphy (sub 90 Scott), Obafemi (sub 54 Saunders) - subs not used: Seabright, Wilkinson, Dickson, Connors
Scorers: Obafemi 24, Murphy 47 (penalty)
Bookings: Hoyte 77, Doe 86, Murphy 94
Referee: Mr Stroud Attendance: 1,618 (361 away)

Post match reaction:
Gareth Ainsworth The main talking point after the game was the dismissal of Anthony Stewart, with Gareth Ainsworth saying, "ďI think itís a poor decision. Anthony Stewart is adamant he got the ball first before anything. Itís a very, very soft penalty. All my players are distraught in there. They are all saying no chance. Anthony got the ball, heís not taken the man out. The whole game has hinged on that, because I thought the last 20 minutes of the first half we were on top hugely. Second half we were the better side with ten men, and thatís changed the whole context of the game and the scoreline. I know itíll go down as a defeat but itís hard to take. We feel really hard done by. Iím proud of the way the lads applied themselves. The fans were fantastic and anybody who was at the game today canít say any more than what Iíve just said Ė the boys played well today, really gave it their all. For want of a decision going the other way for us, I think weíd have got something out of it today." Meanwhile, Wanderers Captain Stuart Lewis added, "Itís a poor decision. Itís quite clear Anthony Stewart got the ball. Everyone here was surprised with the red card and the penalty decision. Thereís no beating about the bush, itís tough to take."

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet