Bristol Rovers 0
Wycombe Wanderers 1
Saturday 19th October 2013
Football League Two

Max Kretzschmar - winner at Bristol Rovers Substitute Max Kretzschmar scored the only goal of the game as Wanderers beat ten man Bristol Rovers at The Memorial Stadium. The home side had David Clarkson red-carded on 25 minutes for an arm thrown at Josh Scowen. Kretzschmar was introduced on 67 minutes for Matt Bloomfield and scored the vital goal on 81 minutes when he fired high into the roof of the net after Jon-Paul Pittman's shot had been saved. The result lifts Wycombe to 7th in the table.

Team news had seen Gareth Ainsworth make one change from the side that beat Torquay United 3-2 the previous Saturday - Charles Dunne returning from suspension to replace an ill Sam Wood. Gary Doherty and Matt McClure were named on the bench after recovering from their recent illness.

The early action saw Matt Ingram forced to palm away a Seanan Clucas header from 12 yards after the midfielder had met Ryan Bruntís high looping cross from the left. Wycombe then had chances, with Kortney seeing a header tipped over following a cross from the right, while Jo Kuffour was unlucky with an overhead kick from Dunne's sweeping cross from the left, all before 25 minutes had gone. But Rovers, struggling towards the foot of the table, were reduced to ten men on 26 minutes when Clarkson was sent down the tunnel for a clumsy, rather than malicious, arm waving challenge with Scowen.

Wanderers eventually made the one man advantage tell Pittman powered himself into the right side of the box before unleashing a low shot that Mildenhall could only pushed into the path of an alert Kretzschmar who struck home left footed from the opposite corner of the six yard box.

Full-time - Bristol Rovers 0 Wycombe 1
Wycombe: Ingram, Arnold, Dunne, Stewart, Hause, Bloomfield (sub 68 Kretzschmar), Lewis, Scowen, Cowan-Hall (sub 76 Pittman), Knott, Kuffour (sub 62 McClure) - subs not used: Horlock, McCoy, Doherty, Spring
Scorers: Kretzschmar
Bookings: Bloomfield 14
Bristol Rovers: Mildenhall, Smith, Packwood, Parkes, Lockyer, Harrison (sub 79 Harding), Clucas (sub 84 Santos), O'Toole, Clarke, Clarkson, Brunt (sub 62 Henshall) - subs not used: Gough, Norburn, Keary, Southway
Scorers: none
Bookings: Clarkson 26 (red card)
Referee: Mr Darren Sheldrake Attendance: 5,783 (away 345)

Post match reaction:
Gareth Ainsworth Commenting after the game, Gareth Ainsworth told the press that he had warned his players at half-time of the tactics that Rovers were likely to employ having gone down to ten men, saying, "I told them exactly what would happen at half time. We were patient, we kept playing, we kept probing and our forwards kept making their runs. Then when they tired we put new forwards on. I always believe, Iím confident in my players. If they hadnít have scored Iíd still have been proud of the performance. They kept the ball well, we had the majority of the possession. There were a few wasteful little passes at times. When youíre against ten men itís difficult. Itís not easy, itís not a gimme Ė youíre not going to win three or four-nil. They put ten behind the ball and we had to probe and make runs."

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet