Farnborough 0 Wycombe Wanderers 2
Wednesday 17th July 2013
Friendly - Match abandoned at half-time

Wanderers pre-season friendly at Farnborough was abandoned at half-time after the referee ruled the pitch as too dangerous to continue to play on. The hosts had filled several holes in the pitch with sand and the referee considered these areas too soft and could cause injury to players.

Before the abandonment, trialist Philip Roberts had netted twice to give Wanderers a comfortable advantage at the break, leaving Gareth Ainsworth, more than likely, excited at the immediate impact of the Arsenal youngster. The 19 year old and former Norwich City Youth player gave Wanderers the lead in the 29th minute with a cool finish from the edge of the box. He then added another five minutes later when he converted from close range following a build up involving Kortney Hause and Junior Morias.

Wanderers included three other trialists in the starting line-up. Ellis Deeney, brother of Watford striker Troy, played at left back while Boreham Wood defender Robert Hastings tried his luck in the centre of defence. Dutchman Arsenio Halfhuid was also given another run out following a brief showing the previous evening in the friendly at Staines.

21 year old Deeney, started his career with Aston Villa before moving into semi-pro football with Kettering Town, Hinckley United and most recently Worcester City. However, his chances of landing a chance with Wycombe were dealt a blow when he picked up a groin injury and was forced off. Meanwhile, Hastings, aged 19, has come through the Hertfordshire's side Youth system and started to impress for the First Team last season.

Wanderers will now look forward to their only home pre-season game as the entertain Premiership Aston Villa on Saturday 20th July at Adams Park, kick-off 3pm.

Score when abandoned - Farnborough 0 Wycombe 2

Wycombe: Horlock, Stewart, Ellis Deeney (sub 43 Dunne), Robert Hastings , Fletcher, Kretzschmar, Hause, Kewley-Graham, Morias, Arsenio Halfhuid, Phillip Roberts. Sub not used: Ingram
Bookings: none
Farnborough: Stone, Huggins, Treacher, Doyle, Inns, Jones, Bennett, Laidler, Connolly, Hammond, Tarpey - subs not used: McGarry, Crossley, O'Regan, Mensah, Donnelly.
Bookings: none
Scorers: none
Referee: Dave Woolford Attendance: 228

Reaction after the game saw the Boro Manager Spencer Day comment to the Hampshire media, "It was a ridiculous decision. Yes, we knew there were a few problem areas in the goalmouth but we played on it perfectly well for 45 minutes and could have easily carried on."

Meanwhile, Wanderers Assistant boss Richard Dobson was quoted by the Bucks Free Press as saying, "He [the referee] had reservations about it before the game. We had reservations in the warm-up, if Iím honest. Heís probably made the right call overall. Itís not in great condition Ė with the club in administration these things donít get done. Normally, I have to say, Farnboroughís surface is perfect. Itís the first time Iíve come here and been disappointed. It went from hard to soft with the sand and the turf in the goalmouth is loose.Ē

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet