Matchday Essentials 2001-2002 Click here for the latest match previews and reports
Click here for your Rough Guide to Wycombe Wanderers Wycombe Wanderers 0 Click here for Quick Guide
Bury 2
Saturday 2nd March 2002
Football League Division Two
As if you need reminding Wanderers sorry run of results continued on when they crashed to a 2-0 defeat to trouble torn Bury at Adams Park. Another lack lustre display from Wycombe saw the visitors win the game with two second-half goals and it could have been worse but for an amazing save from Martin Taylor.
With Michael Simpson suspended, Lawrie Sanchez was forced to bring in Martyn Lee for only his second start of the season but there was the also the first start for over 12 months for Andy Baird in favour of Jermaine McSporran and Stuart Roberts got the nod over Steve Brown.
Wanderers started the game bright enough with David Tuttle, Chris Vinnicombe and Sean Devine all going close in the opening 15 minutes. However, as the game progressed the visitors gained the upper hand to such an extent that Wycombe failed to have a serious shot on target during the second-half.
Wanderers early pressure saw Tuttle come within inches of connecting with Lee's cross from the right and the 7th minute Vinnicombe went close when he flashed an effort just wide of the far post after darting in from the left flank.
Stuart Roberts, playing mostly on his unfavoured left side, crossed for Devine on 11 minutes but the ball was some how deflected over. Another Roberts cross from the left on 25 minutes ended with Darren Currie pulling his shot wide as Wycombe failed to test stand in 'keeper Glynn Garner.
The danger signs for Wycombe began to show on 32 minutes when Paul Reid's corner from the left eluded the Wycombe defence and whistled just wide of the far post. Two minutes later the ever dangerous Jon Newby fired an effort wide as Wycombe began to realise the visitors hadn't come to just lay down and die.
However, Wycombe really should have taken the lead seven minutes before the break when yet another Roberts delivery from the left saw Devine look odds-on to score but he didn't get good contact and Garner was grateful to see the ball end his grip.
Half-time 0-0
Neby went close again three minutes into the second but was denied by the save of Taylor, however, the visitors did open the scoring on 54 minutes when Lee Connell's low cross from the left was turned into his own net by Mark Rogers as he was pressured by Gareth Seddon.
Wycombe's response was a major disappointment. With the news of so many of the promotion contenders struggling at half-time you would have thought that would have been incentive enough to go all out for victory. Instead Wycombe couldn't take advantage of a 60th minute free-kick and as Sanchez was just lining up a triple substitition, Bury doubled their lead, Michael Nelson striking home past the dive of Martin Taylor following poor defending at a Bury corner from the left.
Wanderers triple change made very little difference to Wanderers progress up front. Gavin Holligan's weak attempt at a diving header from Danny Senda's right wing cross did actually force Garner to save but the Welshman will have few easier games. Holligan was also involved in Wanderers lame claim for a penalty when the ex-West Ham player tumbled on the edge of the penalty area but there were few serious protests when the decision was waved away.
At the other end Taylor made his obligatory wonder save in the 88th minute when he kept out Jon Newby's close range effort and Taylor then had the post to thank for keeping out Seddon's follow-up. Keith Ryan's miss from three yards during stoppage time, after Lee had crossed from the left, said it all.
Final Score Wycombe 0 Bury 2
Wycombe: - Taylor, Senda, Tuttle, Rogers, Vinnicombe, Currie (sub 63 Brown), Bulman, Lee, Roberts, Devine (sub 63 Ryan), Baird (sub 63 Holligan) - subs not used Emblen, McSporran
Yellow Cards: Tuttle (foul 78), Lee (foul 90)
Bury: Garner, Connell, Collins, Nelson, Stuart, Forrest, Reid, Borley, Clegg, Seddon, Newby - subs not used Preece, Swailes, Murphy, Whiteman, Evans
Yellow Cards: Collins (foul 90)
Referee:T Parkes (Birmingham) Att: 6,409 (Bury 173)
Interactive Stats
Match and players
All the Wycombe results, scorers, team line-ups and statistical breakdown of the current season - FULLY INTERACTIVE to your heart's content.
Latest Table and form Updated table with results archive of ALL Division Two games plus form guide and previous meeting between ALL clubs for the past four seasons.
Squad Info
Quick Links

Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Click here for Quick Guide Quick Guide to The Shakers
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 2nd March
All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet