Berks and Bucks
Senior Cup Quarter-Final
Wycombe Wanderers 3
Burnham 3
Tuesday 29th January 2002
Stewart Castledine - two goals against Burnham Wanderers were forced into a replay by Burnham after leading 3-1 with just seven minutes of normal time remaining. A controversial penalty gave the visitors their equaliser in the 88th minute and a further 30 minutes of extra-time brought no further goals.
Wanderers should have won this game comfortably despite fielding a mainly reserve XI. Wycombe included the experience of Steve Brown in midfield and Andy Baird played in a defensive role to ease him back after injury. The game also marked the return from injury of Ben Townsend and he took up his regular right back position. Gavin Holligan and Leeyon Phelan were also given their chance to shine up front but it was a quiet night for both players.
It was the visitors who took the lead in the 5th minute when a cross from the left was volleyed home by the right foot of Tony Thompson. However, Wanderers were level on ten minutes after a corner from the right was only cleared as far as Brown on the opposite flank and a clever chipped return was nodded home by Stewart Castledine at the far post.
Martyn Lee slammed a free-kick against the post before Wycombe took the lead on 32 minutes when Brown rifled home from around 25 yards, his low shot from a central postion beating the 'keeper at his left hand post.
Ian Simpemba, Ben Townsend and Andy Baird give close attention to Matty PotterWycombe looked to have sealed the tie on 72 minutes when good from Lee set up Gavin Holligan on the right flank and Castledine had the simple task of converting the low delivery.
Burnham were given their lifeline in the 83rd minute when Martin Vchovski's cross from the right was superbly headed home by Gary O'Connor for the goal of the game. The visitors then forced the tie into extra-time when they awarded a dubious looking penalty, Baird being penalised when O'Connor brushed past the Wycombe player and took a dive on the right edge of the box. O'Connor got up to convert the spot-kick to the Mark Osborn's left.
Wanderers had the best chances to win the game during the 30 minutes of extra-time. Holligan fired wide on 96 minutes after Lee's cross from the left and Castledine was denied his hat-trick on 102 minutes when Matty Potter cleared off the line. Youth Team prospect Jonny Dixon skewed an effort wide in the second period of extra-time but with no further goals the tie will go to a replay at The Gore on a date to be arranged.
Final Score Wycombe 3 Burnham 3 - After extra-time
Wycombe: Osborn, Townsend (sub 119 Smillie), Parsons, Simpemba, Baird (sub 93 Hole), Lee, Dixon, Castledine, Phelan (sub 86 Leach), Holligan, Brown - subs not used: Gott, Lynott
Burnham: Honey, Noakes (sub 79 Boore), Brett, Potter, Dugdale, Lockhart (sub 63 Tomlinson), Thompson, Campbell, Durkin, Howell (sub 63 Vchovski), O'Connor - subs not used: Jimmy, Copper
Referee: Mr M S Scholes Att: 342
Wycombe Wanderers
Reserve Team
Fixtures, results,
match reports

Brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
online since 1995
Reserves Archive
The new scoreboard arrives
The game marked the unveiling of Wycombe's new scoreboard.

Look out for more picture in the Adams Park Picture Gallery

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet