Matchday Essentials 2001-2002 Click here for the latest match previews and reports
Click here for your Rough Guide to Wycombe Wanderers Wycombe Wanderers 2 Click here for Quick Guide
Bristol City 1
Saturday 9th February 2002
Football League Division Two
Mark Rogers celebrates winning at Ashton Gate earlier in the season and he was doing the same after the game at Adams Park Sean Devine and Mark Rogers scored as Wycombe came from behind to beat Bristol City 2-1 at Adams Park. Wanderers had fallen behind in the 63rd minute when a low cross from the right saw a mix up in the defence and Lee Peacock tucked the ball in the stir up the away support for the first time in the match.
However, their cheers were silenced seven minutes later when Carey tripped Andy Baird en route to goal. Scott Murray then encroached at the resulting free-kick and with the ball moved forward to the edge of the penalty area, up stepped Sean Devine to fire home his first goal since his return from injury.
Three minutes later Wycombe completed the comeback when Dannie Bulman bravely headed back a deep corner from the right and Mark Rogers managed to get in a boot and loop the ball over Steve Phillips in the City goal.
It was no less than Wycombe deserved and the margin could have been greater if Stuart Roberts had converted at the far post after Devine's powerful shot from the left had been saved on 81 minutes.
Wanderers began with one change to the side that drew at Port Vale the previous week, Mark Rogers returning from his international spree with Canada to replace Keith Ryan in the centre of defence. Wanderers defence certainly looked more stable with the inclusion of Rogers although it was the Canadian's mis-understanding with Martin Taylor that led to the visitors goal. However, Rogers more than made up for that lapse when he got the vital touch for the winning goal, his first goal of the season.
The game with City was one of relatively few clear cut chances for either side. Wanderers just about edged the first-half. Sean Devine almost connected with Darren Currie's cross from the right on 11 minutes while six minutes later Stuart Roberts saw a good effort from the left saved by Phillips after Senda had delivered from the opposite flank.
The closest Wycombe came to breaking the deadlock came on 33 minutes when Bulman's snap shot just right of centre on the edge of the City penalty area was headed wide by Matthew Hill just as the ball looked like it would creep into the net.
City's best effort came six minutes before the break when Scott Murray's cross from the right bye-line was headed against the far post before Roger Johnson managed to squeeze the ball clear. On the stroke of half-time many of the City's fans thought Murray had scored when the City player fired the ball into the side netting of the Valley End goal.
Half-time 0-0
The second-half had barely got underway when a massive downpour and high winds turned playing conditions into a farce. Thankfully it soon passed with Wycombe looking the side more likely to score. Devine headed just wide at the near post from Currie's cross and Jermaine McSporran should have done better after a superb through ball from Devine down the left wing.
However, the visitors always looked dangerous on the break and only a fine save by Taylor on 58 minutes managed to tip Aaron Brown's long range effort onto the crossbar. Moments later Andy Baird replaced a disappointing McSporran and it sparked Wycombe into a flurry of action that saw three corners forced in quick succession. From one of those corners Roberts had a glorious opportunity at the left hand post following Currie's delivery but the Welshman couldn't get direction on his shot.
Sean Devine fires in the free-kick to level the scoresThat miss was made to look costly just two minutes later when Peacock opened the scoring for the visitors. The goal sparked mass celebration amongst the away support but they were soon to be silenced. Baird's ability to pick up free-kicks proved invaluable again after Carey had tripped the Wycombe player. The original free-kick, around 22 yards from goal, was charged down by Murray who was around five yards from the ball when it was kicked. Referee Walton booked the City player and moved the ball forward to the edge of the penalty area. This time Devine stepped up and blasted the ball through the eight-man City wall and into the net. You could say Devine was rather pleased at scoring. The shirt came off as he danced for joy in front of the stand.
The celebrations were stepped up another level three minutes later when Currie's corner from the right was somehow converted by Rogers after Bulman's brave intervention. The comeback was complete and from a point where the season looked to be falling apart, Wycombe were back in the frame again.
Roberts, absolutely desperate to score his first goal for Wycombe, really should have scored on 81 minutes when Devine's initial shot from the left was saved by Phillips. To be fair on the Welshman the chance came to him quickly but he'll be gutted to have missed. Two minutes later Roberts perhaps should have passed to Devine when presented with the ball from midfield. His time will come.
Not surprisingly the last few minutes were a bit nerve jangling from Wycombe's point of view. The worse moment came with two minutes remaining when Murray headed straight into the arms of Taylor when former Wycombe loan striker Steve Jones had seen his shot blocked. However, Wycombe hung on for a highly impressive victory and one that keeps the outside chance of reaching the play-offs alive. Wycombe remain 11th in the table with 46 points from 30 games, six points behind sixth place Brentford with a game in hand.
Full-time Wycombe 2 Bristol City 1
Wycombe: Taylor, Vinnicombe, Senda, Rogers, Johnson, Bulman (sub 73 Brown), Currie (sub 79 Ryan), Roberts, Simpson, McSporran (sub 60 Baird), Devine - subs not used: Holligan, Lee
Yellow Cards: Vinnicombe (foul 13), Roberts (dissent 38), Ryan (foul 90)
Bristol City: Phillips, Burnell, Carey, Hill, Bell, Murray, Marvin Brown (sub 64 Steve Jones), Aaron Brown (sub 88 Clist), Tinnion, Coles, Peacock - subs not used Lever, Hulbert, Attwell
Yellow Cards: Burnell (foul 61), Carey (foul 69), Murray (encroaching 69)
Referee: Peter Walton (Northants) Attendance: 7,972 (Bristol City 1564)
Interactive Stats
Match and players
All the Wycombe results, scorers, team line-ups and statistical breakdown of the current season - FULLY INTERACTIVE to your heart's content.
Latest Table and form Updated table with results archive of ALL Division Two games plus form guide and previous meeting between ALL clubs for the past four seasons.
Squad Info
Quick Links

Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Click here for Quick Guide Quick Guide to Bristol City
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 9th February
All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet