Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
report archive
Also from 1996/97
Wycombe v Forest

COCA COLA CUP 2nd Round Review 1996

1st Leg - Wednesday 18th September 1996 - The City Ground


A goal two minutes into the second half by Dutch International Brian Roy gave Nottingham Forest a slender 1st Leg lead in the 2nd Round Coca Cola Cup clash at The City Ground. Wycombe frustrated the home side with some stout defending and could have snatched a first half lead when Miguel Desouza raced clear on 30 minutes. The result sets up the prospect of an exciting 2nd Leg encounter at Adams Park next Tuesday.
Wycombe, appearing at The City Ground for the first time, fielded a side that included Gary Patterson in the starting line-up and Matt Lawrence moving into an attacking role to replace the injured John Williams. A disappointing crowd of just under 6,500 saw Wycombe have the better of the early breaks - forcing two quick corners in front of the travelling Blue Army at the Bridgford End. Forest, meanwhile, were slow to settle and had to wait until 18 minutes for their first effort on goal - a cross from the left by Roy being half-volleyed at waist height by David Phillips but his downward shot was easily dealt with by Parkin. Roy continued to look the look the most dangerous player for Forest - on 20 minutes he fired in a shot - but it ended in row 12 of the Trent End - and a minute later he flashed a chance across the goal from the left after a through ball from Stuart Pearce. Wycombe's moment of glory could have come on 30 minutes when Desouza got the better of Steve Chettle in midfield. Desouza raced clear on goal from the right but screwed his effort horribly wide of the goal and the advancing Mark Crossley. Wycombe's best other chance in the first half came on 39 minutes when a lightning flick by Carroll in the box fell to Bell whose snap shot lacked accuracy. At the other end Forest were still being frustrated when on the stroke of half-time strong claims for a penalty were turned down after a tackle on Roy. The game remained goalless at half-time and while Wycombe received deserved applause from their fans, Forest's problems were compounded as some of the home fans booed off their team.
Half-Time 0-0
A well shaven Jason Lee replaced Ian Woan in the second half and Forest got their breakthrough shortly afterwards. Brian ROY found himself in space on the left side of the area and he thumped the ball high past Parkin - the shot crashing in off the underside of the bar. Wycombe responded with a good left wing run by Farell on 55 minutes but his cross was not productive. 5 minutes later Desouza found himself through again but he delayed too long - Lawrence picked up the ball on the right side but his high return ball was unable to find a Wycombe forward. Parkin palmed away a powerful cross by Lee on 65 minutes while Wycombe has further efforts from Farrell, first on 69 minutes when he fired in a shot following a left wing ball from Carroll and 6 minutes later Farrell had a snap shot beaten down by Crossley. Parkin had the unenvious task of dealing with a Stuart Pearce free-kick on 78 minutes - the Wycombe 'keeper tipping the ball over after it was laid off to Pearce from the right side of the box. The luckless Jason Lee contrived to miss on two occasions from close range; first after he clashed with Parkin on 82 minutes - Lee managing to hit the post from about 1 yard out even though the referee had already signalled a foul. Then 5 minutes later he failed to hit the target after a Gemmill shot was pushed away by Parkin. Wycombe finished the stronger side, with Matt Lawrence going close after a corner from the left by Carroll. The game ended 1-0 to Forest and Wycombe took the applause from the mostly disappointed home crowd but delighted away following.
Full-Time Forest 1 Wycombe 0
WYCOMBE TEAM: Parkin, Cousins, Bell, McCarthy, Evans, Patterson, Carroll , Brown, Desouza, Lawrence, Farrell. Subs not used:McGavin, Crossley & Skiverton
FOREST TEAM: Crossley, Lyttle, Pearce, Cooper, Chettle, Bart-Williams, Phillips, Saunders, Woan (sub 45 Lee), Haaland (sub 83 Gemmill), Roy. Subs not used: Fettis

2nd Leg - Tuesday 24th September 1996 - Adams Park


Wycombe restored some of their lost pride as they bowed gracefully out of the Coca Cola Cup in an exciting encounter with Nottingham Forest. The Premier League side required extra-time to seal their aggregate victory after Paul McCarthy had given the Wanderers a 36th minute lead. Wycombe had further chances in the 2nd half of normal time - with McCarthy, Lawrence and McGavin all going close to thrill the 6,000 plus attendance at Adams Park.
Brian Parkin was the first 'keeper in action as he saved well after just 5 minutes - Parkin went on to have another confidence boosting performance. Dave Farrell had a couple of good runs down the left wing as the early play swung from end to end. It was 'Man of the Match' Jason Cousins, however, who set up Farrell for Wycombe's first real chance of the game - a deep cross from the right deceiving Crossley and the reflex shot by Farrell from close range struck the left-hand upright. McGavin flashed a shot inches wide after 33 minutes while Forest could only manage a wayward shot from Stuart Pearce as the visitors struggled to find their form. Wycombe took a deserved lead on 36 minutes when Cousins sent in another curling cross from the right that Paul McCARTHY connected with to head home off the underside of the crossbar.
Half-time Wycombe 1 Forest 0
Forest started the second half more determined with Dean Saunders shooting on the turn from the left after 46 minutes only to see his shot whistle past the opposite post. Wycombe continued to press and a complete mix-up in the Forest defence saw Crossley try to gather a misdirected back-pass that ended with Farrell flattened but with the referee waving play-on. 2 minutes later Farrell and Lawrence exchanged passes with McGavin who sent in a powerful cross from the left that took Carroll by surprise at the far post as the chance went begging. On 59 minutes Parkin made a good block from Ian Woan after a cross from the right and a few minutes later Steve Blatherwick headed just wide following a corner from the left as Forest responded. Farrell had a weaving run on 66 minutes but he shot straight at Crossley with Carroll closing from the right. Wycombe continued the pressure with Matt Lawrence sending in a blazing shot on 74 minutes that Crossley tipped over for the 'Save of the Night'. The best chance for Wycombe to win the tie came on 82 minutes when Farrell crossed from the left, Carroll controlled and flicked the ball back across the face of the goal, but McCarthy blasted the chance straight at Mark Crossley.
90 mins Wycombe 1 Forest 0
John Williams replaced an injured Dave Carroll at the start of extra-time and with Brian Roy on for Scot Gemmill, the tie swung Forest's way in extra-time. Bart-Williams should have scored on 92 minutes from 12 yards after being set-up by Jason Lee and Colin Cooper struck the bar from 10 yards moments later. On 102 minutes Forest got the decisive goal when Woan laid the ball to Roy who crossed from the left for Jason LEE to head home past a helpless Parkin at the far post. Wycombe's best chance of pulling the game back came on 108 minutes when McGavin again did all the hard work in creating a chance but then failed to hit the target from 12 yards. The game ended with Forest well on top but Wycombe earned a standing ovation from the crowd at the end of the 120 minutes for their part in a highly entertaining game and a welcome relief from the more mundane league encounters experienced recently.
After Extra-Time Wycombe 1 Forest 1 (Agg 1-2)
WYCOMBE TEAM: Parkin, Cousins, Bell, McCarthy, Evans, Lawrence, Carroll (sub 90 Williams), Brown, Desouza, McGavin, Farrell. subs not used:Crossley & Markman
FOREST TEAM: Crossley, Lyttle, Pearce, Cooper, Bart-Williams, Phillips, Gemmill (sub 80 Roy), Saunders (sub 115 Haaland), Lee, Woan, Blatherwick. Sub not used Fettis.

All match reports © 1997 Chairboys on the Net
Back To Top
Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet