The Story of The Blues
brought to you by
Retro - A look back on the 1993/94 season
Two memorable League victories
Wycombe v Crewe programme - 20th November 1993Despite the departure of Keith Scott to Swindon Town, Wanderers carried in style as they encountered two tough games in the latter half of November 1993. First up at Adams Park on Saturday 20th November were 2nd placed Crewe Alexandra.
A crowd of 6,137 turned out to see Wanderers put in an impressive display with new skipper Terry Evans now a key player in the Wycombe side. It was the ex-Brentford giant who headed Wanderers into the lead on 10 minutes when he rose to convert a Steve Guppy free-kick. It was Guppy who provided again on 19 minutes for Keith Ryan who saw his shot saved but Tony Hemmings followed up to tuck the ball into the Valley End net. However, Wanderers fans were still celebrating when Crewe pulled a goal back within 30 seconds - Darran Rowbotham finishing off Rob Edwards' cross.
Both sides had further chances to score but the best of the day was saved for 65 minutes when Guppy's clearance was headed on by Hemmings down the left wing and the ex-Northwich striker rounded the 'keeper before smashing the ball home. Hemmings went close to completing his hat-trick on a day which had the ground buzzing and Martin O'Neill beaming after the 3-1 success for his side.
Preston North End v Wycombe programme - 27th November 1993The trip to Deepdale to play Preston North End on Saturday 27th November 1993 was a date that been looked forward to by many Wycombe followers and it would turn out to be a match that would stick long in the memory - for Wanderers fans at least.
Close to 1,200 Wycombe fans made the journey north to visit the home of the famous club that now boasted an artifical pitch and a team managed by 'long-ball' merchant John Beck. With Dave Carroll absent due to flu, Martin O'Neill reshuffled his side with Glyn Creaser given his Football League debut in the centre of defence and Matt Crossley moving to left back while Duncan Horton shifted into midfield.
A crowd of 9,265 warmed to a frantic game that saw Wanderers take the lead in the 28th minute when Tim Langford turned on a Terry Evans headed flick to shoot past Kelham O'Hanlon in the Preston goal.
Kicking away from the bugle playing, drum beating, part Neanderthal home end, Preston equalised two minutes after the interval when Gareth Ainsworth sent a powerful header past Paul Hyde from Paul Raynor's cross. However, Wanderers restored their lead on 69 minutes - Steve Guppy crossing from the left where Keith Ryan's header was parried by Preston substitute 'keeper Steve Woods but only for Langford to convert at the near post.
Hakan HayrettinBut once again the home side put on the pressure and grabbed another equaliser on 76 minutes when Greg Challender came through to convert Raynor's corner. It set up a nail biting finale although as 90 minutes came it seemed that both sides would have to settle for a draw. Cue Wanderers' midfielder Hakan Hayrettin. The former Barnet man picked up possession just inside his own half just to the right of midfield and then decided to go it alone, taking a few strides forward before unleashing a bullet 40 yard drive that left Woods rooted to his goal-line - his only movement a quick glance to his side as the ball nestled in the back of the net. Seconds later the final whistle had gone and Wanderers had beaten the League leaders to finish the month in 4th place with 31 points from 17 games and still unbeaten away from home.
Speaking after the game Hayrettin said "When I hit it, I knew it was on target. It was brilliant". Meanwhile, Martin O'Neill was typically delighted and added "We had to win the game three times and we did it. Hakan Hayrettin's goal was maginficent. He has been promising us something like this in training but has blown up in the past during matches"
Off the pitch news during November saw the Club announce that they would building a car park on land adjacent to the existing Adams Park site in an attempt to alleviate traffic problems on matchdays. The site had originally been ear-marked for a training pitch following a lengthy planning application but this was never pursued. The Club had agreed a 60-year lease with Sir Francis Dashwood who owned the land to be used for parking and the costs were to be recouped by charging supporters to use the car parking area. Meanwhile, the capacity of Adams Park was edging towards 8,000 following the installation of crash barriers along the Woodlands terrace. The average attendance for Wanderers opening eight Football League games was around 5,400.
Click here to read more - More cup success but first away League defeat

1993-1994 index
This is the story of WYCOMBE WANDERERS brought to you by HISTORY MENU