The Story of The Blues
brought to you by
Retro - A look back on the 1993/94 season
Dec 1993 - Cup success but first away League defeat
Wycombe v Cambridge programme - 4th December 1993Wanderers continued their 1993/4 FA Cup campaign on Saturday 4th December with a Second Round home tie against Cambridge United. A decent crowd of 6,313 turned out along with the SKY cameras who provided extended highlights later that evening.
A tense game against more Second Division opposition finally burst into life in the 56th minute when Tony Hemmings whipped in a cross from the right by Jason Cousins.
The U's with Steve Claridge in their side were tamed by a robust Wanderers defence but were almost gifted an equaliser when Paul Hyde kicked a clearance straight to Mike Danzey but 'Hydey' recovered to grab the rebound. Hemmings then went close to doubling the lead before Hyde saved well in the dying moments before the final whistle was greeted with huge relief by the Wycombe faithful.
Wycombe line-up vs Cambridge United: Hyde, Cousins, Horton (sub 41 Creaser), Crossley, Evans, Ryan, Carroll, Langford (sub 89 Thompson), Hayrettin, Hemmings, Guppy - sub unused: Moussaddik - Att:6,313 - Ref: D Frampton
Victory against Cambridge meant that Wanderers had reached the Third Round of the FA Cup for the first since 1986 and there was excitement in the draw when Premiership Norwich City were pulled out of the hat to face Wanderers at Adams Park on Saturday 8th January. The tie against one of Martin O'Neill's former club's guaranteed a sell-out 7,800 gate at Adams Park where terrace prices back in those days was 6.
Wanderers' push for promotion from Division Three continued on Saturday 11th December with the trip to the Deva Stadium to play Chester City. It would proved to be Wycombe's first away League defeat of the season against a side just two points behind Wycombe prior to kick-off.
After a goalless first half in wet and windy conditions it was City who opened the scoring on 53 minutes when Staurt Rimmer's shot gave Paul Hyde no chance. It was 2-0 on 77 minutes when Mark Leonard headed home Rimmer's cross from the right. Wanderers responded briefly two minutes later when Evans flicked on Cousins' throw and Hemmings scored with a shot on the turn. However, a chance of a point disappeared another two minutes later when David Pugh stabbed the ball in after Wanderers' defence failed to clear Joe Jakub's free-kick, the game ending Chester 3 Wycombe 1.
Wycombe  v Cardiff City programme - 14th December 1993There was more cup action for the Wanderers the following Tuesday when Cardiff City were the visitors to Adams Park in a Second Round Autoglass Trophy tie. In a tie played in bleak conditions, Wycombe included midfielder Paul Shepstone in their line-up for the first time following his release from Motherwell. However, he would make only one further First Team appearance during a three month spell at Wycombe.
Against Cardiff it was Wanderers who broke the deadlock shortly after the start of the second half when Tim Langford fired home following a goal mouth scramble. However, City levelled on 69 minutes Cohen Griffiths was left unmarked as his cross-shot beat Hyde. Wanderers hit back four minutes later when an Evans header was adjudged to have crossed the line after Cousins had floated in a free-kick.
Wanderers fans in the 2,703 attendance were already thinking of the next round when a last minute goal from Phil Stant forced the tie into extra-time. It would have been no surprise to see City go on and win this tie but Dave Carroll had other ideas. During extra-time he started on a 40 yard weaving run into the penalty area that culminated with a shot that took a deflection before Steve Guppy was on hand to smash the ball past Mark Grew in the City goal. Hyde pulled off a great save near the end to prevent the tie going to penalties and set-up a Southern Area Quarter-Final away to Colchester United.
Other news during the month saw Wanderers' celebrity Director Alan Parry deny using bad language towards Preston officials during Wycombe's visit to Deepdale in November. Parry told the Bucks Free Press "I believe in giving my team vocal support, home and away, but I never use bad language towards any other spectator. I resent the allegation that I did so on this occasion"
Meanwhile, Wanderers' Youth Team team reached the Third Round of the FA Youth Cup by beating Croydon 3-2 with goals from Stuart Wilson (2) and David Hyde. JIm Melvin's team would visit the New Den to play Millwall in Round Three during January.
Click here to read more - O'Neill has his say ahead of holiday programme.

1993-1994 index
This is the story of WYCOMBE WANDERERS brought to you by HISTORY MENU