The Story of The Blues
brought to you by
Retro - A look back on the 1993/94 season
Carlisle v Wycombe programme - 14 August 1993 On the 14th August 1993 and after over 105 years in existence, Wycombe Wanderers played their first ever Football League game.
A Division Three best of the day attendance of 7,752 at Brunton Park, swelled by at least a 1,500 following for Wycombe saw a solid debut by the League newcomers.
Steve Thompson was the first ever Wycombe player to touch the ball in the Football League when he kicked off in the Cumbrian sunshine. However, after a nervous opening by the Wanderers it was the home side who took the lead on 19 minutes when George Oghani's cross from the left was slotted in at the far post by Rod Thomas.
Wycombe failed to buckle under more Carlisle pressure and eventually pulled themselves back into the game with an equaliser four minutes before the break. Dave Carroll delivered a corner from the left that saw Keith Scott's header deflected onto the crossbar. The ball was then headed away only only for Chris Curran to head past his own 'keeper at the far post and go down in history as being the first player to score a goal for Wycombe in the Football League.
The goal was major boost for Wycombe as they left the pitch at half-time on level terms and they started the second-half in far more confident fashion. However, on 51 minutes Duncan Horton had to limp off after injuring himself in a rash challenge on Darren Edmunson and was replaced by Simon Hutchinson. Martin O'Neill was forced reshuffled the formation before on 76 minutes Jason Cousins' throw-in from the right was eventually flicked across the face of the goal by Carroll and Steve Guppy was at the far post to direct the ball into the back of the Carlisle net. 'Gupps' celebrated by running towards the Wycombe fans congregated in the main on the far side of the pitch.
But a famous victory was not to be as with eight minutes remaining a Carlisle corner from the right saw a clever back heel by Thomas find Curran on the edge of the Wycombe penalty and he made amends for his earlier own goal by driving the ball past the dive of Wanderers 'keeper Paul Hyde.
Final Score Carlisle United 2 Wycombe Wanderers 2
Jason Cousins leads the players out at Brunton Park - 14 August 1993 Wycombe line-up vs Carlisle: Hyde, Cousins, Horton (sub 51 Langford), Kerr, Crossley, Ryan, Carroll, Stapleton, Thompson, Scott, Guppy (sub 89 Hutchinson) - Att:7,752 - Ref: G Cain
Directly after the game Martin O'Neill said "Before the game I would have settled for not being beaten but when we've got 2-1 in front I'm a bit disappointed we've conceeded the goal - it doesn't matter now I suppose - we're off the mark." He then added "If that's the sort of thing of thing we're in for in this league, then it's going to be hard for us"
Ten months later Wanderers would return to Brunton Park in a less historical game but one with far more significance. Before then though there would be plenty to experience for Wycombe fans during this first sortie into the Football League. Click here to read more.
1993-1994 index
This is the story of WYCOMBE WANDERERS brought to you by HISTORY MENU