The Story of The Blues
brought to you by
Retro - A look back on the 1993/94 season
August 1993 - Adams Park Football League debut
Wycombe v Chester programme - 21st August 1993 After a debut Football League appearance at Carlisle it was off to Brisbane Road the following Tuesday (17th August 1993) for a Coca-Cola First Round First Leg game with Leyton Orient. Around 1,000 Wanderers fans made the trip to East London and they saw a magnificant victory for Martin O'Neill's side.
Steve Thompson gave Wycombe the lead after 12 minutes when he picked up Dave Carroll's pass from the right wing before beating a defender and finishing from close range. Paul Hyde saved well from Putney on 32 minutes as Wanderers led at the break.
Hyde continued to deny the home after the interval and in the final minute of the game Hyde's long clearance was flicked on by the head of Keith Scott to find substitute Tim Langford down the right flank. The ex-Telford player then showed brilliant pace before smashing the ball past Taylor in the O's goal from the edge of the six yard box and delighting the travelling fans on the terrace behind.
The first Football League game at Adams Park took place on Saturday 21st August 1993 when relegated Chester City were the opponents. In a fairly uneventful game it was Keith Scott who went down in history as the first Wanderers playing to score a League goal at Adams Park. Scotty latched onto an 8th minute Steve Guppy through ball before seeing his shot from the edge of the box partially blocked by the 'keeper but eventually bounce over the goal-line at the Hillbottom Road end. It was the only goal of the game as Wanderers recorded their first League victory.
Wycombe line-up vs Chester: Hyde, Cousins, Titterton, Kerr, Crossley, Ryan, Carroll (sub Hayrettin), Stapleton, Thompson (sub Langford), Scott, Guppy - Att:5,607 - Ref: M Bailey
The Second-Leg of the tie with Leyton Orient took place on Tuesday 24th August and Wanderers confirmed their place in the Second Round when Keith Scott scored the only goal of the game shortly before the half-time break - this time Scotty headed home at the far post after a looping cross from the right by Hakan Hayrettin. The victory earned Wycombe a Second Round tie with Coventry City in what would turn out to be a thrilling two legged encounter.
Before then Wanderers were to finish the month off with away trips to Wigan Athletic and Hereford United - the latter game seeing the debut of Wycombe legend to be Terry Evans who has been signed on a free from Brentford. Click here to read more
1993-1994 index
This is the story of WYCOMBE WANDERERS brought to you by HISTORY MENU