Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 
Oxford United - click here for Quick Guide Oxford United 1 Wycombe Wanderers - click here for your Rough Guide to The Chairboys
Wycombe Wanderers 2
Saturday 10th February 2001
Nationwide Football League Division Two
Keith Ryan - last gasp winner - picture Paul DennisA last minute goal from Keith Ryan saw Wycombe take all three points from the trip down the M40 to play relegation threatened Oxford United. 'Rhino' was first to react when Jason Cousins' shot from Michael Simpson's corner was blocked by U's 'keeper Neil Cutler. It was a cruel end to the match for the home side after they had taken a first-half lead but there will be few Wycombe fans feeling sorry after continuous rain and wind made watching this game a nightmare for the brave souls on the open terrace. The conditions were forgotten when 'Rhino' smashed the ball home to leave The Wanderers fans singing in the rain.
The U's had taken the lead in the 13th minute when Chris Hackett slipped the ball past Martin Taylor from Wayne Hatswell's left sided cross. The U's went on to dominate the first-half but when Mark Rogers headed home from close range four minutes before the break, the game was turned on its head. Rogers' goal came from another set-piece - Simpson's corner from the right being flicked on by Cousins before the Canadian lunged in for his first ever League goal.
Lawrie Sanchez made three changes to the side that had lost 2-0 to Cambridge in the week. Mark Rogers won his place back in favour of on loan Gerard Lavin. The Bristol City player took a whack on his leg against Cambridge and has gone back to Ashton Gate for treatment and could have played his last game for Wycombe. The other change at the back was the return of Paul McCarthy. 'Macca', who signed a new deal with The Wanderers two days before the trip to The Manor Ground, replaced Jamie Bates who suffered a nasty blow to his face against Cambridge and is still recovering after the injury impaired his vision. The final change was return of Steve Brown into midfield in place of Stewart Castledine. 'Brownie' was the influential figure throughout and could have opened the scoring on four minutes when his left-footed free kick smashed against The U's cross-bar.
By then referee Ray Pearson has already booked U's Matt Murphy and he was to add another six names to his notebook throughout the afternoon. Who know's what would have happened if it had been a 'dirty game'! One of those bookings will see Jason Cousins suspended for the trip to Peterborough on Saturday 24th February after reaching five yellow cards.
Hackett's opener for The U's gave the home side confidence but as the half progressed Wanderers dragged themselves back into the game. On 30 minutes Brown's neat flick found Ryan but after controlling the ball 'Rhino' pushed the ball wide of the upright from just inside the penalty area.
Martyn Lee hit a sweetly struck volley straight at Cutler on 36 minutes but five minutes later Wycombe were level. A sweeping move from Wycombe down the left side saw Chris Vinnicombe's inviting cross to the far post headed away from danger for a corner from which Rogers scored.
The goal was incentive enough for Wanderers to come out fighting in the second-half and apart from a short spell of pressure from The U's around the hour mark, it was Wycombe who ran the show for the remainder of the game. Taylor was called upon to tip over Andy Scott's header from Joey Beauchamp's cross from the left and from the resulting corner Matt Murphy headed wide.
The final piece in the jigsaw was the introduction of Dave Carroll. 'Jesus' was involved when Cousins went close with a 84th minute free-kick and the never say die attitude of Lawrie Sanchez's side was rewarded in the dying seconds when Ryan grabbed the winner to complete the double over United.
Final Score Oxford 1 Wycombe 2
Wycombe: Taylor, Rogers, Vinnicombe, Cousins, McCarthy, Simpson, Brown, Bulman (sub 75 Carroll), Lee, Ryan, Baird (sub 73 Thompson)
subs not used: Castledine, Harkin, Brady
Yellow cards: Simpson (10 foul), Lee (28 dissent), Cousins (33 foul), McCarthy (57 foul)
Oxford: Cutler, Richardson, Hatswell, Monk, Whitehead, Murphy, Quinn, Beauchamp (sub 92 Omoyinmi), Scott, Gray, Hackett
subs not used: Knight, Robertson, Tait, Anthrobus
Yellow cards: Murphy (3 foul), Hackett (17 foul), Hatswell (42 foul)
Referee: Ray Pearson Attendance: 5,384 (1000 Wycombe approx)
Chairboys Stat File
10th Feb 2001

Division Two
Played 28

Won 1

Goals For 2

Goals Against 2
Position 1

Top Scorers (League)
Andy Rammell 10
Steve Brown
Andy Baird 3
Jamie Bates 3
Jermaine McSporran 2
Dannie Bulman

Sam Parkin 1

Paul McCarthy 1
Mark Rogers 1
Keith Ryan 1

Michael Simpson 1
Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Oxford United - click here for Quick Guide to The U's Quick Guide to The U's
Past meetings, connections, web links and more >>>
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 10th February

All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet