Wealdstone 1
Wycombe Wanderers 3
Tuesday 21st July 2015

Wealdstone v Wycombe - programme cover 21st July 2015 Wycombe came from behind to defeat Conference side Wealdstone in Wanderers' second pre-season game of 2015/16. A wonder strike from Stones Captain Elliott Godfrey on 34 minutes was cancellled out three minutes later by a close range effort from trialist Luke O'Nein. Gareth Ainsworth's side then went on to dominate the second period - scoring again through trialist Stephen McGinn before new signing Garry Thompson made it 3-1 on 56 minutes.

Ainsworth also used another trialist, former Wanderers Centre of Excellence midfielder Jake Gray in the second-half. The 19 year old is currently on the books of Crystal Palace and left the Wanderers following the demise of the Youth set-up in June 2012. There was no sign of trialists Sean Maguire and Luke Woodland from the game versus Avrances the previous Thursday. Goalkeeper Matt Ingran also remained rested from playing duty despite being named on the teamsheet.

Ingram's absence meant another run-out for Alex Lynch but he had little to do in the opening stages as Wanderers carved out the better chances. Thompson stretched to head over on 15 minutes following a cross from the left. Then on 20 minutes a Joe Jacobson corner from the left saw Anthony Stewart and then Aaron Pierre denied by blocks from the home defence.

The opening goal came out of the blue. A free-kick was floated into the Wycombe box from the right of the Stones midfield. Pierre's headed clear to the edge of the box only for Godfrey to rifle home with a sweet volley into the top left corner of the Wycombe net.

Wycombe were level three minutes later when former Wealdstone loanee O'Nein was on hand to force the ball home inside the six yard box.

The second-half began with Lynch being grateful that half-time substitute Marcus Bean was there to cover after the 'keeper failed to claim a cross. Two minutes later that was another let off for Wanderers as Dale Binns broke through but shot wide with only Lynch to beat.

Wycombe took the lead shortly afterwards when another Jacobson delivery from the left saw McGinn tuck the ball in at far side of the six yard box. Thompson made it 3-1 to Wycombe on 56 minutes, nodding home yet another cross from Jacobson.

Five substitutes followed for Wycombe, including another trialist who played on the right wing. Meanwhile, Wealdstone introduced former Wanderer Scott McGleish for the final 20 minutes or so. However, there were no further goals, with the most significant action seeing Lynch made a relex save from point blank range with four minutes of normal time remaining to deny Shaun Lucien.
Full-time - Wealdstone 1 Wycombe 3
Wycombe: Lynch, Jombati (sub HT Rowe), Jacobson (sub 57 Gray [trialist]), Stewart, Pierre, Harriman (sub HT Bean), Bloomfield (sub HT McGinn [trialist]), O'Nein [trialist] (sub 57 Kretzschmar), Wood (sub 57 Sellers), Hayes (sub 57 Banton), Thompson (sub 57 Holloway) - subs not used: Richardson (GK), Ainsworth
Scorers: O'Nein 37, McGinn, Thompson 56
Bookings: none
Wealdstone: Brown, Duffy, Watts, Martin, Corcoran, Godfrey, Wright, Brown, Louis, Hope, Binns - subs: Hutchinson, Poniskastis (GK), Bonett-Johnson, Lucien, Tison-Lascaris, Christian-Law, Moses, McGleish
Scorers: Godfrey 34
Bookings: none
Referee: A Serrano Attendance: 390

Gareth AinsworthSpeaking after the game, Wanderers Manager Gareth Ainsworth told the press: "The aim was minutes under belts, fitness and a small amount of tactics tonight Ė the way we want to play, the way we want to do things, you start introducing that but you donít want to give them too much too soon. You want it to be fresh for the first game of the season. The pleasing thing is no injuries, and obviously a win and some good individual performances from different players in different positions. Iím really pleased overall. Itís always a nice place to come to Wealdstone, well supported and I was pleased with the performance."

When questioned about the future of the trialists with Wycombe, Ainsworth added: "In my own head, I keep things very private with regards to contracts and who gets them and who doesnít, and thatís the same with the trialists when they come in. A couple of goals from a couple, so that turns your head. Every managerís different, they all see different things on the pitch and if Iíve seen good things tonight then Iíll be showing it with what I do in the future."

With regards the injury situation with Matt Ingram, Ainsworth said he would feature in the remaining games of Wycombe's pre-season programme that continues in a 'behind closed doors' friendly with Premier League opposition on Saturday 25th July. He added: "Mattís going to be back very shortly, and it was a great opportunity for Alex Lynch to play and get 90 minutes because when Mattís back heís going to need games and need fitness. It was the right thing to do to get Lynchy 90 minutes, he needs it and he got it tonight (Tuesday). I thought he performed well, took everything he needed to. His kicking was a little bit off for Alex Lynchís standards but he did really well in the one-on-one, so I was pleased with him. Matty Ingram will be back very soon and thereís no need to worry for the Wycombe fans."

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet