Portsmouth 2
Wycombe Wanderers 2
Wednesday 4th December 2013
Football League Two

Anthony Stewart - late equaliser at Fratton Park Substitute Anthony Stewart struck a stoppage time header for Wanderers to salvage a point in a 2-2 draw at Portsmouth. Another defeat looked on the cards until Stewart, who was only playing after he won his appeal for his red-card issued the previous Saturday at Dagenham, popped up to head home fellow substitute Max Kretzschmar's cross, with 'keeper Matt Ingram also lurking in the box. The result came after Wycombe had taken the lead in the 23rd minute when Matt McClure swivelled to strike home left footed from a Stuart Lewis pass. The home side turned on the pressure during the second period and were awarded a penalty in the 70th minute after Sam Wood fouled David Connolly. However, Ingram guessed right to save Connolly's spot-kick. But the euphoria of the penalty saved was quashed two minutes later when Andy Barcham fired an effort past Ingram from inside the box. It then looked like the same old story for Wanderers when former Wimbledon forward Patrick Agyemang headed home from a Pompey set-piece on 84 minutes to put the home side 2-1 up. But it was Stewart's header four minutes into stoppage time that sparked mass celebrations for Wycombe players and fans alike. Wycombe jump to 14th in the table with 23 points from 18 games.
Full-time - Portsmouth 2 Wycombe 2
Wycombe: Ingram, McCoy, Wood, Doherty, Johnson (sub 80 Stewart), Spring, Lewis, Knott (sub 86 Kretzschmar), Cowan-Hall, Morgan (sub 86 Kuffour), McClure - subs not used: Horlock, Dunne, Arnold, Craig
Scorers: McClure 23, Stewart 90
Bookings: Johnson 4, Spring 10, Knott 45, Ingram 70
Portsmouth: Carson, East, Potts (sub 37 N’Gala), Devera, Bradley, Wallace (sub HT Connolly), Ertl (sub 78 Agyemang), Cooper, Barcham, Holmes, Bird - subs not used: Sullivan, Painter, Padovani, Ferry
Scorers: Barcham 73, Agyemang 84
Bookings: wallace 44, Cooper 51
Referee: Mr D Drysdale Attendance: 14,942 (681 away)

Post match reaction:
Gareth Ainsworth Commenting after the game, Gareth Ainsworth said, "I'm elated but also angry with the way some of the play was done. That'll be put right. First half I thought we were the better side. We could have had a couple more. Second half they were definitely the better side, they camped out in our half. I was disappointed with the way we approached and cleared the ball and didn't get forward and didn't hold it up. There's plenty gone wrong second half. I think it's a fair reflection - I don't think people in Portsmouth will because of the second half. In the first half we did knock it round really well and thought we could have had a couple more. we've got to finish the game. They made a change and it caused a different dimension to their team. Anthony Stewart said to me as he came off, 'I was at fault for the goal against and I've put it right'. I'm not sure he was, it's difficult to tell who was at fault. The free kick being given away was a bit naive. Anthony's gone down the other end and done it right. We don't have many late goals for, usually they're against, so it's nice to get one in the 'for' column."

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet