Wycombe Wanderers 1
Exeter City 1
Saturday 26th November 2013
Football League Two

Steven Craig - credited with goal against Exeter Wanderers conceded another late goal as they drew 1-1 at home to Exeter City. Wycombe had gone ahead in the 10th minute when Josh Scowen's shot from the left channel hit the chest of Steven Craig, 12 yards from goal, and wronged footed Artur Krysiak in the City goal. Wycombe then had the better chances to add to the scoring but it was the visitors who snatched an equaliser on 80 minutes when Alan Gow turned from six yards to squeeze the ball home following a throw-in from the right.

Team news for Wanderers had seen Gareth Ainsworth make two changes to the side that had lost 2-0 at Chesterfield the previous Saturday - Matt Bloomfield and Dean Morgan returning the the starting line-up in favour of Paris Cowan-Hall and Matt McClure. After the fortuitous opener, Wycombe went on to create a half dozen or so chances during the first half Morgan going close twice, while Sunderland loanee Billy Knott struck a 25 yarder straight at Krysiak before Stuart Lewis forced the Grecians 'keeper to parry a shot away in the 31st minute.

Wycombe continued to fail to take their chances in the second half, and even the introduction of former Wanderer Sam Parkin for the final 25 minutes didn't seem to inspire the visitors. However, with ten minutes remaining and moments after Cowan-Hall had been introduced for Craig, Wanderers defence were left exposed following a throw in and Gow struck the leveller. Even then Wycombe had chances to win the game, with Bloomfield seeing an effort saved, while a stoppage time lunge at a Max Kretzschmar cross just failed to make the vital contact.
Full-time - Wycombe 1 Exeter 1
Wycombe: Ingram, McCoy, Wood, Doherty, Stewart, Scowen (sub 71 Kretzschmar), Bloomfield, Lewis, Knott, Morgan (sub 75 McClure), Craig (sub 79 Cowan-Hall) - subs not used: Horlock, Dunne, Johnson, Morias
Scorers: Craig 10
Bookings: Scowen 50, McCoy 86, Kretzschmar 91
Exeter: Krysiak, Butterfield, Woodman, Coles, Bennett, Wheeler (sub 75 Davies), Gill, Sercombe, Grimes, O’Flynn (sub 65 Parkin), Gow - subs not used: Pym, Baldwin, Doherty, Keohane, Nichols
Scorers: Gow 80
Bookings: none
Referee: Mr J Linington Attendance: 2,357 (away 185) - lowest ever Football League attendance at Adams Park

Post match reaction:
Gareth Ainsworth Commenting after the game, Gareth Ainsworth said, "“All too often you see teams, when they are 1-0 up, concede late on and they concede again because they are really under pressure and dropping deep. I thought it was great that once we conceded we got to grips with the game and we were the ones forcing to try to get the winner. How the ball stayed out at the end I'll never know. We created so many chances in that last 10 minutes. We were definitely the only team who were going to score at the end." He added, “It's frustrating we didn't take a couple of chances that fell to people and you think, I have seen him stick that in in training. You've got to take your chances in the box. They took theirs, we only took one of our numerous ones." Talking about the earlier stages of the game, Ainsworth said, “It frustrated me in the first half we had a lot of chances we didn't convert into goals but that's better than creating no chances and being beaten 4-0. If we started conceding early goals and not getting back into games that would be worse. Teams will have their spells when you're winning against them, they will throw everything at you - it's dealing with game management better. I'm not at all worried. I'm really positive and looking forward to the next game because I know a win's just around the corner. The lads are down because their standards are so high, they know we are close to something here."

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet