The Story of The Blues
brought to you by
Wanderers FA Amateur Cup run of 1930/31
Games so far:
1st Round - London Caledonians 1 Wycombe Wanderers 4
2nd Round - Wycombe Wanderers 6 Walthamstow Avenue 1
3rd Round - Wycombe Wanderers 6 Romford 2
4th Round - Metropolitan Police 1 Wycombe Wanderers 1
4th Round replay - Wycombe Wanderers 2 Metropolitan Police 1
Semi-Final - Wycombe Wanderers 3 Woking 0

1930-1931 Following the semi-final success over Woking, Wanderers had a five week wait before the Final against Hayes at Highbury on Saturday 11th April 1931. In between times the side suffered indifferent form, losing 4-2 to Chesham United in the semi-final of the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup, going down 1-0 away to London Caledonians in the Isthmian League before beating Wimbledon 1-0 at Loakes Park in the same competition.
The final game before the trip to Highbury came on Saturday 4th April 1931 when Nunhead were beaten 4-2 in a friendly match held at Loakes Park. That match marked the return of goalkeeper Jim Kipping to the side following his nasty injury against Woking. But there was still no return for Club Captain John Timberlake who had been injured since the 4th Round victory over Metropolitan Police. Meanwhile, a selection committee meeting held after the game organised the time and method of transport for the players and officials to the following week's final, documenting in the minute book, 'The following arrangements were made for travel to Highbury Sat April 11th. 12.3 train to Marylebone (6 reserved coaches to be arranged for). Team to be conveyed by coach from Marylebone to Highbury'.

Bucks Free Press 10 April 1931The Bucks Free Press of Friday 10th April 1931 carried a major preview of what was the biggest game in the history of the Club at that time and what was described as the 'blue riband of amaterurism'. The headline said "AMATEUR CUP FINAL PROSPECTS - High Wycombe Expects Every Man"

In the preview BFP reporter 'Touchline' was pleased with the return of Kipping to the side for the friendly match with Nunhead, commenting "Whatever may be said for the rest of the team, no man deserved more praise than Jim Kipping who keeps the Wycombe goal. His play through the season has been commented upon frequently." He added "Wycombe have proved, this season, that there is not a flaw in the side. Despite two set-backs recently the team at full strength has improved. I believe that they are a much better side today than they were when they went on the field against Woking."

Opponents Hayes had set a remarkable record in reaching the final - playing right through the preliminary rounds and being drawn away on each occasion, travelling an estimated 1,600 miles in the process. 'Touchline' commented, "This year's final will probably be the most interesting for several years, as both teams have made history this season - and the case of Hayes, remarkable history. It should be a great struggle. The predominant feature of both teams during the earlier stages has been their dourness and the determination to win. The game will be fought with spirit determination and skill. We are looking to Wanderers to win. They are undoubtedly a fine side and there is plenty of confidence and enthusiasm about the result of the game." He went on to conclude, "Whatever the result, however, Wycombe is proud of the men who have brought the town into the limelight of the sporting world. Good luck go with them!"

John Timberlake - We shall win!Captain John Timberlake also spelled out a galliant message via the Bucks Free Press pages, saying, "We shall win. That darned old Amateur Cup is coming to Wycombe this time, make no doubt about it. Our lads realise that they will have to play hard to beat Hayes, but all the boys are confident and are going to play the game of their lives. If they have an equal share of the luck the Wanderers will return tomorrow carrying the cup. Wish us luck!"

Click here for memories of the final.

This is the story of WYCOMBE WANDERERS brought to you by HISTORY MENU