The Story of The Blues
brought to you by
Doncaster Rovers 0
Wycombe Wanderers 3
Saturday 19th March 1994
Football League Division Three

Doncaster v Wycombe programme 19th March 1994 Simon Garner missed the visit to Doncaster Rovers on Saturday 19th March 1994 due to injury but a Wanderers side, fresh from their break in the Portuguese sun, cruised to victory at Belle Vue.
Keith Ryan replaced Garner up front for most of the game but it was Steve Brown who shot Wycombe into a sixth minute lead with his first goal in a Wycombe shirt since his move from Northampton in February 1994. The goal came after Glyn Creaser had flicked on Matt Crossley's free-kick. Steve Guppy added to Wycombe's lead in the 21st minute when he started a move down the left and then followed up Dave Carroll's shot that had been cleared off the line.
Guppy scored his second and Wycombe's third on the stroke of half-time when he headed home Ryan's cross. The home side came more into the game during the second-half but there were no further goals, leaving the 500 or so Wycombe fans with plenty to celebrate at the final whistle. There was also good news when Tony Hemmings returned to action as an 80th minute substitute following his two month lay-off through injury as Wanderers rose to 3rd place in the table.
Wycombe: Hyde, Stapleton (sub 64 Thompson), Titterton, Crossley, Creaser, Ryan, Carroll, Langford (sub 80 Hemmings), Reid, Brown. Guppy. Sub unused: Moussaddik (GK)
Scorers: Brown 6, Guppy 21,45
Bookings: none
Doncaster: Beasley, Kitchen, Marqui (sub 45 Clarke), Yates, Wilcox, Swailes, Luscorube (sub 57 Lawrence), Roche, Hulme, Jones, Harper - Sub unused: Ford (GK)
Bookings: none
Referee: Mr R Hart Attendance: 2,358
What the papers said:
Bucks Free Press - Claire Nash reporting from Belle Vue:
Dave Carroll in action for Wycombe at Doncaster 19th March 1994 - picture Matt Fowler from Bucks Free PressWycombe’s week in the sun continued with an emphatic win at bright and breezy Belle Vue on Saturday. Blues, hotfoot from a four- day bonus break in Portugal, belted into a 3-0 first-half lead at Doncaster. The win moved Wycombe up to third in Division Three. Other results went their way with leaders Chester and Crewe, long-time pacesetters and second before Saturday, both losing. Blues are just one point from the top with two games in hand on Chester who lead the division from second-placed Shrewsbury with a higher number of goals. Crewe dropped to fourth, one point behind Wycombe.
Wanderers secured only their third double of the season on Saturday against a side who had not lost a game at home since Christmas. Steve Brown, returning to the side after a two-match suspension, blasted Blues into the lead after six minutes with a superb side-footed volley which followed a neat Glyn Creaser flick on from Matt Crossley’s free kick.
It was sweet satisfaction for the central midfielder who had struggled to make an impression after being signed for a record Ł40,000 from Northampton last month. He revealed last week’s trip abroad helped him feel more a part of the furniture. “All the pressure was off after the week away. I had a good crack with the lads. Before that I would only talk to them when I turned up for two and a half hours’ training.” His goal continued a lucky streak at Belle Vue where he has scored three times before. The camaraderie with his Blues team-mates was evident in their post-goal celebrations, no longer muted as has been suggested in the past. Brown spun round after his shot, which left Rovers’ keeper Andy Beasley rooted to the spot, and celebrated in the style of a human windmill all arms and skipping. All the other players joined in so he didn’t look conspicuous. Doncaster were bemused.
But it was just as the hosts started to settle into their stride, with leading scorer Kevin Hulme looking ominous, that Wycombe added to their lead. Steve Guppy started and finished an intelligent Blues build up against the run of play. The winger played the ball cross-field to Dave Carroll who supplied Tim Langford. Beasley saved the striker’s meaty shot. Carroll’s effort from the rebound was cleared off the line, but Guppy tidied up with a shot that beat the keeper inside his far post. Keith Ryan impressed as an industrious force up front in place of injured Simon Garner, but David Titterton, at left back with Simon Stapleton switching to the right for the suspended Jason Cousins, was not as assured in keeping a lid on Doncaster winger Steve Harper. Stapleton and Ryan played a part in Blues’ third goal. The latter held the ball up and swung a cross over to Guppy, who headed the ball into the far corner.
Blues’ goalkeeper Paul Hyde was a busier man in the second half as Doncaster responded strongly. Rovers forced a spate of corners early on and Crossley almost headed into his own net in clearing one effort. Harper’s shot was blocked after Hyde’s goal kick struggled to make headway in the wind. Similarly Blues couldn’t get out of their half for a while as Doncaster pressed. But the ball wouldn’t just sit right for all their endeavours in the six-yard box. Ryan’s deft shot sailed just narrowly over the crossbar after a one- two with Carroll on 62 minutes as Blues counter-attacked. Hulme came the closest to reducing the deficit, but his failure to connect with Sam Kitchen’s cross summed up their day. Tony Hemmings returned to first-team action with ten minutes to go, much to the pleasure of Blues’ 500-strong travelling supporters. He replaced Langford on 80 minutes to end a two-month absence through injury.
This is the story of WYCOMBE WANDERERS brought to you by HISTORY MENU